• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

testing alternator--battery dead

Well that's some good news I suppose. Kinda weird it would fail so early on. Monitor the voltage of the donor when you try jumping it. If it drops very quickly I would give up. Your battery might have an internal short of some kind. That can be perilous. :bolt

Well that's some good news I suppose. Kinda weird it would fail so early on. Monitor the voltage of the donor when you try jumping it. If it drops very quickly I would give up. Your battery might have an internal short of some kind. That can be perilous. :bolt

Changed my mind already about tying the batteries together. I thought it could be a problem, too. Sent the battery back to BatteryStuff.com (from whom it was purchased) and they will test it to find the problem and work out the warranty details. My new and shiny battery should arrive Friday.

picked up new battery from Post Office along with a Kisan voltmeter/ammeter, etc. I ordered. Installed all today. Everything seems to up to snuff. Battery charging at 13.9 volts, ammeter reading 1-2 amps. Good to be riding again!

Last edited:
A Happy Ending!

I did order a new Odyssey 680 battery from BatteryStuff.com, the same folks from whom I ordered the original battery. Once installed, the bike is running great, and charging system is working fine. I installed a Kisan voltmeter/ammeter so I could keep a closer look at what what happening with the charging system in the future. I shipped the old battery (8 months old) back to BatteryStuff.com because there was a 2 year warranty on it. They checked it out and , sure enough, it was a battery failure! I expected them to pro-rate the cost of the original and refund the left over time. Instead, they are giving me a total refund on the new battery! I think this is a great way to treat a customer and besides that, there service is excellent. One happy camper here.
Tony

Back