• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Snowflake rear wheel & Michelin Pilot Active, 4.00 x 18

I had never heard of these tires, so I read some reviews on them yesterday. They are high mileage tires, and very popular with the trike crowd. Most of the users were happy with them.

But with the fitting problems, I think I would be looking at something else, if I still had an Airhead.

Pilot Actives front and rear on both of my Airheads. When I hear somebody categorize a tire as "high mileage", I think of a hard rubber and a good highway tire; not a sporty tire good on the curves. This not my experience with Pilot Active tires. They are very responsive and grippy tires. Mileage is okay; not terrible but not high mileage.

Never heard a complaint from the shop that mounts them for me.

Pilot Actives front and rear on both of my Airheads. When I hear somebody categorize a tire as "high mileage", I think of a hard rubber and a good highway tire; not a sporty tire good on the curves. This not my experience with Pilot Active tires. They are very responsive and grippy tires. Mileage is okay; not terrible but not high mileage.

Never heard a complaint from the shop that mounts them for me.

Next time, I will have the shop mount them, which means I will have to purchase from shop as well!

I did, however, take to local, very large Motorcycle dealer, and they couldn't get to seat either, even with "proper" tire lube!!

I went to the library and saw this guy reading this book. I have to check it out when he brings it back....

Attachments

• big-book2.jpg
    big-book2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 89
I went to the library and saw this guy reading this book. I have to check it out when he brings it back....

Smart guy!!

That's in addition to the other book I authored, "The Two Most Humble People in The World, And How I Taught The Other One."

JimmyLee

I have a friend that always ran tubeless on the snowflake rims. Did you try mounting it without the tube? ...btw, I use tube type tires.

Going tubelsess?

I have a friend that always ran tubeless on the snowflake rims. Did you try mounting it without the tube? ...btw, I use tube type tires.

No, I didn't. That would take a modification to the rim to install a valve stem. I don't want to risk doing that, and the tire still not seat. Though I have defended strongly the notion of going tubeless on the Snowflakes (an others) as there have been numerous testimonials of those who have done so, and I have yet to hear of any sort of failure, I am not wanting to go tubeless myself. Although, I may in the future, as it is getting harder and harder to find a dealer who even carries tubes - unless they have a strong clientele of those who own older bikes - like me!

With all the controversy over running tubeless with snowflakes, running the front with a tube and the rear without makes an interesting compromise.

1) Critical front tire uses the "validated" safe process
2) Rear tire failures are much easier to ride out than front.
3) More rear flats than front (my history) put tubeless roadside repair where it is needed most.
4) Carry a rear tube in case you have a flat you can't repair (or bead unseats and won't reseat).

I'd expect stern opposition from the usual suspects, but it seems to warrant consideration. I have a set of Pilot Activs and a set of snowflakes set aside for a current build, but have only thus far run tubed tires on spokes. I'm still a sinner though because I run metric sized Spitfires.

With all the controversy over running tubeless with snowflakes, running the front with a tube and the rear without makes an interesting compromise.

1) Critical front tire uses the "validated" safe process
2) Rear tire failures are much easier to ride out than front.
3) More rear flats than front (my history) put tubeless roadside repair where it is needed most.
4) Carry a rear tube in case you have a flat you can't repair (or bead unseats and won't reseat).

I'd expect stern opposition from the usual suspects, but it seems to warrant consideration. I have a set of Pilot Activs and a set of snowflakes set aside for a current build, but have only thus far run tubed tires on spokes. I'm still a sinner though because I run metric sized Spitfires.

I did take a lot of heat (and some good-natured kidding) about the whole thing - defending the tubeless-on-tube-type rim - especially the Snowflakes. Some people are very devoted to "whatever was engineered and nothing else" - even when, in my opinion, it has been proven to work.

However, this whole thread started because I couldn't get a proper sized Michelin Pilot Activ (4.00 - 18) to seat on my Snowflake (with a tube). If you eventually do put your Michelin Pilot on the back snowflake can you let us know how readily it "seated" and if so, how it was accomplished, please?

I still want to get one when my present Vintage, proper size, Dunlop wears off the tread which will be probably rather quickly as it is a very coarse, period-type tread - used lots on bikes like Triumphs, BSAs. and others. I want to go with a smoother tread, and the Michelin Pilot is perfect for what I want. I just can't seem to get one to fit on my bike. Next time I will purchase from dealer and let them deal with the hassles making it fit.

Another "trick" I forgot to mention earlier. Is to first mount the tire [with] a tube in it, let it sit [inflated] for a day or two so the tire can seat. Then break down just one side, remove the tube, add a bit of proper lube & immediately re-inflate.

Another "trick" I forgot to mention earlier. Is to first mount the tire [with] a tube in it, let it sit [inflated] for a day or two so the tire can seat. Then break down just one side, remove the tube, add a bit of proper lube & immediately re-inflate.

What did you use for a valve stem?

However, mine wouldn't seat even with a tube. Blew out 3 tubes before i gave up and purchased the Dunlop and new tube at a dealer and let them install.

What did you use for a valve stem?

However, mine wouldn't seat even with a tube. Blew out 3 tubes before i gave up and purchased the Dunlop and new tube at a dealer and let them install.

? the tube has a stem. Then when you remove the tube , slip in the tubeless valve stem and re-inflate immediately . And at that point it is still a good idea to leave the valve core out, re-seat, then put the core in & inflate.

Jimmylee I think you just got a bad tire. Stuff happens. I would not write them all off as impossible to mount based on one example. Lots of tires are tough to mount, but if one can't be mounted, it is simply defective. Michelin has been good at this game for a very long time.

Jimmylee I think you just got a bad tire. Stuff happens. I would not write them all off as impossible to mount based on one example. Lots of tires are tough to mount, but if one can't be mounted, it is simply defective. Michelin has been good at this game for a very long time.

It was tubeless tire marked that if used on a tube-type rim to be sure to use a tube.

I would bet that it would fit on a tubeless rim probably easily as any tubeless tire would.

It was tubeless tire marked that if used on a tube-type rim to be sure to use a tube.

I would bet that it would fit on a tubeless rim probably easily as any tubeless tire would.

I can probably solve that mystery soon, can't I, Jim?

Latest news on my '78 Snowflake 4.00 x 18 rear wheel & the installation of a 4.00 x 18 period size Michelin Pilot Activ.

As you may remember I tried this combination last year - about June or July. I nor anyone could get the Pilot Active to "seat" on this wheel. Stirred up a lot of controversy.

I tried this all over again - this time purchasing the tire at my closest BMW dealer. Took wheel to them three weeks ago to install. After trying all day, they could not get either side to seat. So they gave up.

Being a machinist, and now having access to a large lathe, I decided to have them hold the tire and I would try some wheel modifications to make it work.

I took the wheel and tried to size it down enough to allow (hopefully) the Michelin to fit. I wanted to be careful NOT to remove any material down in the corner where the rim forms with the horizontal part of the wheel (both sides). As you may remember the original profile of this wheel starting at the rim and moving towards the center gets larger (diameter) as you move towards center until you get to that dip about 1" wide in the actual middle. What I did is to remove that larger diameter area and make that area either the same diameter as at the rim base and then have it slightly get smaller as it approached the center dip. Then I used a special aluminum polish and polished the heck out of both sides (except near the rim base) - everywhere I thought the Pilot Activ would have to "slide" out to eventually seat on the inside of the rim. Further, I thoroughly cleaned the interior surface, and then treated several times with a silicon spray. Wiping it off several times until the cloth showed no residue of aluminum discoloration. Then I sprayed again several times with silicon spray, let sit overnight, and lightly wiped off the next morning.

Next - return trip to dealer who then tried installing. First try, one side seated, the other did not. Second try w/extra rubber tire lube: both sides seated perfectly.

I rode the bike today for the first time with Pilot Activ's on both front and rear: AWESOME. Those modern treads on the older period tire sizes is perfect. Best and smoothest ride I have had to date!

Now, I have nothing but good things to say and would whole-heartedly recommend these tires. A friend of mine has them on his BMW, and after 9,000 miles the rear shows almost NO signs of wear!

Latest news on my '78 Snowflake 4.00 x 18 rear wheel & the installation of a 4.00 x 18 period size Michelin Pilot Activ.

As you may remember I tried this combination last year - about June or July. I nor anyone could get the Pilot Active to "seat" on this wheel. Stirred up a lot of controversy.

I tried this all over again - this time purchasing the tire at my closest BMW dealer. Took wheel to them three weeks ago to install. After trying all day, they could not get either side to seat. So they gave up.

Being a machinist, and now having access to a large lathe, I decided to have them hold the tire and I would try some wheel modifications to make it work.

I took the wheel and tried to size it down enough to allow (hopefully) the Michelin to fit. I wanted to be careful NOT to remove any material down in the corner where the rim forms with the horizontal part of the wheel (both sides). As you may remember the original profile of this wheel starting at the rim and moving towards the center gets larger (diameter) as you move towards center until you get to that dip about 1" wide in the actual middle. What I did is to remove that larger diameter area and make that area either the same diameter as at the rim base and then have it slightly get smaller as it approached the center dip. Then I used a special aluminum polish and polished the heck out of both sides (except near the rim base) - everywhere I thought the Pilot Activ would have to "slide" out to eventually seat on the inside of the rim. Further, I thoroughly cleaned the interior surface, and then treated several times with a silicon spray. Wiping it off several times until the cloth showed no residue of aluminum discoloration. Then I sprayed again several times with silicon spray, let sit overnight, and lightly wiped off the next morning.

Next - return trip to dealer who then tried installing. First try, one side seated, the other did not. Second try w/extra rubber tire lube: both sides seated perfectly.

I rode the bike today for the first time with Pilot Activ's on both front and rear: AWESOME. Those modern treads on the older period tire sizes is perfect. Best and smoothest ride I have had to date!

Now, I have nothing but good things to say and would whole-heartedly recommend these tires. A friend of mine has them on his BMW, and after 9,000 miles the rear shows almost NO signs of wear!

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I went with the metric version Pilot Activ's(see photos). I took my tires and snowflakes two weeks ago to a motorcycle tire store here in Vegas and they mounted and balanced them. The guy didn't mention he had any problems, so I guess everything went smooth.

Rear Tire-1.jpg Rear Tire-2.jpg

At this point I'm still rebuilding my bike(1980 R100/T) so I haven't had a chance to go for a ride. The only thing I didn't like was the shinny steel weights he used, said he couldn't get the plastic coated silver weights any more. These steel weights are ugly.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I went with the metric version Pilot Activ's(see photos). I took my tires and snowflakes two weeks ago to a motorcycle tire store here in Vegas and they mounted and balanced them. The guy didn't mention he had any problems, so I guess everything went smooth.

View attachment 45112 View attachment 45113

At this point I'm still rebuilding my bike(1980 R100/T) so I haven't had a chance to go for a ride. The only thing I didn't like was the shinny steel weights he used, said he couldn't get the plastic coated silver weights any more. These steel weights are ugly.

I wanted to stay with the factory period size for the bike _ Rear was 4.00 x 18

Back