• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

CPAP on the road

Beemersue

Carolina Sue
I'm new to CPAP and need some pointers for M/C travel. Batteries and chargers are cumbersome and $$$ for primitive camping. I hate to be relegated to motels all the time.
How are my fellow MOA users handling this? Sue

Hmmmmm........been using my CPAP for a couple of years now, camping a couple or 4 decades, Airstreaming for maybe 15, and moteling as little as possible for even longer. Anyway, the CPAP device doesnt really draw a lot of amperage at 110V but a 12V to 110V inverter does. One can carry a car battery and that MIGHT get you through the night..............Carry a LONG power cord and run it over to an RV site in the campground and "bum" some power.............But for me, the best thing is just don't worry about the CPAP for the few nights a year you actually are out in the primitive "wilds" without power someplace around. The peace and tranquility that "primitive" locations bring to the soul is even more healthy for you than that fool CPAP device will ever be...........YES, when I can, I am a 100% of the time user of the device; but golly one or two nights is NOT gonna kill you.........God bless.......Dennis

I have a second, smaller machine that I travel with, along with an extension cord. When camping I can usually get power. On occasion the campsite will let me plug in for free when I tell them I have a machine.. I do carry a longer extension cord (50ft) for use at larger rallies.

I'm curious re: a smaller machine. I have a ResMed S9, which is pretty compact, coupled to a water port. How small are we talking? Sue

Mine isn't that new, but is significantly smaller than my home unit. Plus, when traveling, I run dry as in the summer touring months the humidity is sufficient for me.

I carry a battery powered unit (AEIOmed Everest 3) when I travel by motorcycle. I get two nights out of a charge. I recharge the battery while riding.
The Everest isn't manufactured any more, but there are smaller battery powered CPAP machines available.

http://www.cpap.com/productpage/transcend-II-travel-cpap-machine-somnetics.html
or
http://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/devilbiss-intellipap-standard-cpap-machine-system.html
Just a couple of examples.

I asked my pulmonary doc for a secondary prescription telling him what I was up to, ordered my travel machine online and used my flexible spending account to pay for my travel machine years ago.

Cpap on the rad

thanks for the information. There are travel friendly machines out there. Sue

hi sue,
i have been using cpap for about 10 years, i had my doctor give me a perscription for a "resmed s8 escape" it is a ac/dc unit an i plug it into the accessory socket of my 2000 r1100rt. I have had no problems starting the bike in the morning. I also used on my 2011 suzuki bergman scooter with the same results. They also sell a battery pack for the s8 escape.

Pault

I've got a Phillips Respironics Remstar Auto. It runs on 12volts.

At home, I use the cord with the built-in transformer.

While camping on the road, I have a 20 amp/hour AGM battery (same size as an Odessey PC680) that I bought on the internet for $42. It fits perfectly in a cordura camera case with carrying handle, that I got for $18.

I get 3-4 nights between charges. I can recharge with a BatteryTender Jr. Or by plugging into an SAE plug wired to my bike battery while I ride.

:dance:dance:dance

Lots of great info here. I have been running a bipap at rallies and camping over 10 years, about 5 to 10 rally/trips per year. I always carry a light 30' extension cord, a small outlet spliter, and jumper cables for my bike. There is always a walmart near most rally sites and 50' cords are pretty inexpensive if you need them. I always bring cords home so I have a good supply.

I met a gent at a rally who got a second cpap, got a prescription to run it at a lower airflow (4 ppm lower or you can turn it down yourself if the seller will tell you how) when he camps. He runs that off a second battery which he charges when he rides. The lower pressure makes the batter last longer. If your normally setting is below 12, I don't think I would worry about turning it down. I ran my old CPAP off my bike battery and got 4 to 6 hours off it before voltage alarm went off on the machine at my prescribed 16/20 setting. Bike was still able to start in the morning. I haven't tried this with my newer unit because I have always found an outlet or RV to hook up an AC cord since that purchase. If you want to experiment, get a DC kit for your unit and pull your MC battery to test it at home.

My first BIPAP was purchased locally for over $3.5k. My second was $625 from an online dealer. I got much better support from the online dealer and its about 1/3 the size of the original brick.

I don't carry the humidifier when I'm traveling. You don't need them in the summer and they don't work when the tubes or mask are cold (ie below 50). I can't go for more then a day with out my bipap, I hate going without it, and I get cranky when I don't have it.

PS - Machines don't run well (or at all) when you camp at over 8500 ft. Its in your machine specs. I learned after trying that a couple times.

Back