• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wethead GS Farkles - Post them here!

Size and the availability of the "special" set. Touratech doesn't yet have the special version of their panniers with the cutout for the exhaust. They also are wider on the bike at 38" for the 31/38L set. That makes them the widest part of the bike which I find unacceptable. The mirrors are otherwise the widest part at 37 inches. I like the widest part of the bike to be in front of me, not behind me. The 38L Holan panniers are 35 1/2 inches wide, about the same as the handle bars.

And the Touratech cases are more expensive. If and when they come out with a special set they will be very, very expensive.

I've posted this stuff elsewhere, but since Bob wants it all in one place :whistle

Holan panniers
p-131931406-0598.jpg

SW Motech light bar (with Hella Micro DE lights attached). The lights aren't wired yet. Next week.
p-131931439-0602.jpg

Wunderlich handlebar bag.
p-131921722-3485.jpg
How are the Holan panniers? Good quality? Waterproof? Is the mounting of the racks easy? Do you have to modify anything to the bike?

And what capacity are yours?

Thank you.

How are the Holan panniers? Good quality? Waterproof? Is the mounting of the racks easy? Do you have to modify anything to the bike?

And what capacity are yours?

Thank you.

See http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gsw/2013/0517-panniers/ for the answer to many of your questions. I got the 38 liter bags. The width across the rear is less than the width across the handlebars. I haven't had them in much more than a heavy fog, so can't comment about how waterproof they are, yet. The seal looks good.

ANother image:
p-132091124-5496.jpg

Size and the availability of the "special" set. Touratech doesn't yet have the special version of their panniers with the cutout for the exhaust. They also are wider on the bike at 38" for the 31/38L set. That makes them the widest part of the bike which I find unacceptable. The mirrors are otherwise the widest part at 37 inches. I like the widest part of the bike to be in front of me, not behind me. The 38L Holan panniers are 35 1/2 inches wide, about the same as the handle bars.

And the Touratech cases are more expensive. If and when they come out with a special set they will be very, very expensive.

The 31/38 L. TT Zega Pro 2 are NOT wider than the handlebar. They are narrower by a couple cms. They have put the whole attachment system outside (no more nut and wheel to turn inside the pannier) so I gues they could get the same capacity while making them just a bit narrower. They aslo have a convenient transportation handle integrated on the lid.

The 31/38 ltr TT Zega Pro set is NOT wider than the handlebar on my 2013 GSW as well. At the time I was considering Zega Pro panniers the Zega Pro 2 was not available in NA. I appreciate the extra space between the boxes and the exhaust. No measurable heat transfer to the box or it's contents. Only the 38/45 ltr set will be wider than the stock handlebars by about 2 inches. I was tempted with the larger boxes (same price) but larger boxes mean packing more unneeded junk and weight.

Wet head GS farkles (so far)

Ok, boys and girls, what are you putting on your new water boxer for accessories, and how do you like them?

So far, I have only put a Wunderlich sidestand enlarger plate on mine. I like being able to use the sidestand even on fairly soft ground, and this helps a lot.

BMW Vario bags + Kathy's liners (from Bob's) - I like easy on/off and lack f visible brackets wen removed
Touratech cylinder head guards and side stand expander
California Scientific (CalSci) windshield- a big improvement for a big/ tall guy)
BMW tank bag (not that thrilled with it)
Wunderlich handlebar bag - nice design

Next will probably be BMW Navigator IV since I already have the mounting bracket.
So far so good.

Additions

Put on a set of platform foot pegs from Twisted Throttle, sidestand enlarger/height increase from Black Dog Cycle Works, Radiator guards and crash bars from Altrider (to be delivered in a couple of weeks), Rox Risers, a low comfort seat from Touratech (will be here Thursday) and a snap lock headlight guard from A&S Cycles. And that's going to be about it for a while!

image.jpgimage.jpgI added a Touratech stand enlarger that works great, a BMW headlight guard as it seems to really go with the bike a little better than others do-personal choice though, Wunderlich passenger footpeg re-locators...my wife loves them as they drop the pegs, move them out from the bike a little and bring them forward. I also added the BMW headlight cover as it appears to be the one that really follows the bikes lines nicely. Awesome and took a whole 20 minutes to install and they look great. BMW luggage that eventually arrived. The Hyperlites are next.

Last edited:
I've put on the BMW panniers with the side opening and just flat don't like them after having top loaders on my old GS. As far as I know BMW does not make a top loader for the new GS so I'll have to look elsewhere. But I'm so dissatisfied with the side opening I will replace them.

I've also added the BMW crash bar, PIAA lights and BMW tank bag. I'm satisfied with all of these especially the lights. They are mounted on the crash bar to get them as far away from the turn signals as I can. I almost always buy a custom seat but the stock seat seams to be working fine. I may go for a Corbin anyway to get the back rest.

Nothing else planed. This is the finest motorcycle I've ever owned or ridden and will be with me as long as I ride.

I've put on the BMW panniers with the side opening and just flat don't like them after having top loaders on my old GS. As far as I know BMW does not make a top loader for the new GS so I'll have to look elsewhere. But I'm so dissatisfied with the side opening I will replace them.

I've also added the BMW crash bar, PIAA lights and BMW tank bag. I'm satisfied with all of these especially the lights. They are mounted on the crash bar to get them as far away from the turn signals as I can. I almost always buy a custom seat but the stock seat seams to be working fine. I may go for a Corbin anyway to get the back rest.

Nothing else planed. This is the finest motorcycle I've ever owned or ridden and will be with me as long as I ride.

Would love to see some pics of your lights and how you located the switch for them and where you tucked the relay.

Well, the good news is that you should be able to sell the stock bags pretty easily. I had those on my 2005 GS and thought they were just ok. Ended up getting Jesse bags for that bike, and also for my 2013.

Yeah, throw us a picture. It's always good to see the set-up. FWIW, I have the black vario cases on my F8 and I'm guessing you don't like the avalanche that happens when you open them reasonably full. I like the ability to narrow them down so I have adjusted. I have tried the cloth reusable grocery bags as a liner/container and it seems to have done the trick.
OM

In the Moderator kitchen, we are constantly cooking up ways to improve the forum. With some great info on the new Wethead, we started THIS STUCK THREAD.
Keep the upgrades, how 2's and improvements coming.
Thanks to all.
The Mod Team.

Trigger Wire

I am going to install an Eastern Beaver fuseblock. (looked hard at the electronic one and am on the fence). Any suggestions for a good trigger wire tap (key on power up) location? I have been thinking about the low beam wire. I have the LED headlight bike. Trigger current on the PDM60 is suppose to be about 1MA. On a normal automotive relay (needed with the fuse block) I suspect it is higher, maybe 150MA? I wonder if this will mess with the system if I take it off the low beam.

I am going to install an Eastern Beaver fuseblock. (looked hard at the electronic one and am on the fence). Any suggestions for a good trigger wire tap (key on power up) location? I have been thinking about the low beam wire. I have the LED headlight bike. Trigger current on the PDM60 is suppose to be about 1MA. On a normal automotive relay (needed with the fuse block) I suspect it is higher, maybe 150MA? I wonder if this will mess with the system if I take it off the low beam.
Welcome to the forum!
I like to use the parking light with the plug and play harness from Twisted Throttle. Take a peek at this thread-
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?64189-Trigger-Wire-for-Centech-2007-R1200RT
In that thread you will see my reference to a Best of Forum (BoF) posting and there is a link in that post as well that should help you out.
Gary

Hey, thanks, did not even cross my mind to use an outlet power wire. I'll test it to make sure it shuts down with small load on it, should, the GPS comes off same power circuit on the other bikes. I just don't know how the new CAN system functions in these details. It is different in my mind because it does not all the current issue GS-911 to read the computers on the bike. I am use to using the GPS power connector for a trigger and got locked on that path. I'm not sure I like the idea of no grounds on the PDM60, it is suggested to local ground your stuff or use an adapter of the negative terminal for multi grounds. I'm also going to put in a always hot power outlet for battery charging, heated clothes and and/or air compressor. Going with the Jesse bags, I like top opening bags. Had some on an 1150GS, crash tested both sides many times and they were great. Then thinking about some Clearwater lights. That stuff ought to take care of the last of my petty cash. Going to be fun. The bike is smaller than my old 1150GS and will be a great addition to the K13S.

Some prefer to power their GPS units all the time. This prevents the long (sometimes) re-boot from a quick gas stop.
OM

I have the version of the Eastern Beaver "3 circuit solution" with one of the leads hot all the time and the other 2 only hot when the key is on. For the relay sensor wire, I tapped into one of the wires going to the little fuse box that is under the seat, just aft of the tank. I find that with my seat in the "high" position that there is plenty of room and the parts don't get squashed. There may or may not be enough room with the seat on low, I do not know. I slid the relay down into the open area on the right side of the bike electronics.

You will want to make up a pair of wires to run your circuit forward to where you need power. EB supplies the plugs to use, so you can plug into the "hot all the time" circuit if you want, or into one of the two switched ones if you prefer. In the first image, you can see mine. I used a red and green wire and in the picture, they are plugged into the EB lead that is yellow and black; one of the switched ones. The EB lead that is red & black is the one that is on all the time. I only keep a fuse in the circuit I am using.

i-F3nhw5Q-L.jpg

Close up of the posi-tap on the wire I used:

i-74DZPs4-L.jpg

Back