• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

New YSS Shock on my 88 very Disapointing

I just purchased a new YSS shock for my 88 RS to replace the aging Koni. The shock feels like it's off a toy bike and weighs almost nothing. I set the static sag at 10mm as suggested and adjusted the rebound setting. The rebound has 60 positions but really only becomes noticeable when you get to number 58 or 59 with 60 being fully locked. Seems like a joke, anyone had any experience with these? I believe it's a model sold under the Hyperpro name. Real bummer at $380, anyone know if my single shock Koni can or should be rebuilt?

That's encouraging news on the Koni. I will give that link a look and make some calls. Are you running radials on the RS you have in your avatar? That's a nice looking machine!

No radials, and I sold the bike last year. It was heavily modified by San Jose BMW in the eighties. The owner died and I got it with only 11k on it after his widow died. It came with two seats, both blue Motorsport colors. It is now in a museum in Alabama. The gentleman that bought it paid 13k for it from Gateway BMW after I traded it it. I do miss it, but I could not take care of like I wanted to, getting old and my riding career is coming to an end soon. My R1200R will be for sale next spring. I am making one more trip to Sipapu this fall.

Thanks on the comments on it, it was a beautiful bike and it ran better than it did new with all the mods.

Wayne

Wayne, where is Sipapu? Sounds like Central America? I did call over to the Ikon dealer and I spoke to a great guy named Dave who also runs a BMW repair shop in San Fran, he had a lot of great info on their shocks and reccommended a 3610 series. I'm going to try and return the YSS I just bought, maybe it was a bum unit? I'm just getting back into road riding after taking 12yrs off to play in the dirt and this is my 1st Beemer, I'm into vintage VW's so I figured the old boxer motor would be like an old friend to me and so far I'm pleased with it. Thx george

Hi George,

Glad Ikon was helpful, they build good stuff. Sipapu is a sky resort near Taso New Mexico. The Land of Enchantment BMW club conducts a rally there that I have been attending since the late 90s when we lived in Texas. We moved away years ago, but still go back often to visit old friends. Living in Lubbock we did not have many curves, hills, or trees so it was our getaway each year. Where you are at, well you have plenty of those. But, if you are ever in New Mexico, I recommend attending the rally. Below is a link to their website.

Wayne

http://loebmwr.org/TheRally.aspx

Back