• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 r1200 gsa intermitting start

tsmalone13

Has any body had trouble with an intermitting or delay in the ability to start YOUR R1200GSA WHEN you turn on switch, sometimes it takes up to 10 seconds or more before you can start .. and when coming up through the gears sometimes the whole machine just shuts down momentary from 3 to 5 seconds and yellow caution light comes on, then it will on its own just fire back up and run fine .. this may not happen every time you ride ? it may only do it every 1000 or 1500 miles.. and it may do it 2 or three times on one ride !!I have had it to dealer and put on computer no answer . other than to tell me it'll have to quit completely before they can find, this has been on going for two years HELP PLEASE !!! tHANKS

r1200 gsa 2009 intermitting start

Has any body experienced a 3 to 10 second or sometimes even longer wait before any power is sent to controls so you can start bike ? also sometimes while shifting up through the gears it just shut itself down, any where from 3 to 10 seconds again this does not occur everytime I ride sometimes it want do this for several thousand miles ! had it to bmw dealer and put on computer nothing !! said it will have to stop completely Help PLEASE

Well, two things come to mind.

1. Original battery? BMWs are very finicky when it comes to voltage.

2. My better guess, gear selection sensor and/or side stand switch. If it isn't correctly sensing the side stand being up, it will kill the engine when it knows you are in gear. Or even weak spring so it is bouncing down, or maybe your boot bumping the switch or side stand?

What is interesting though is that for low voltage and sensor failure, I think those show as old faults in my GS-911 so the BMW shop should have found old fault codes. For the weak spring/stand accidentally moving, that wouldn't read as an error in the computer.

Anyway, those are my wild guesses.

Could even be dirty kill switch too, I guess.

Hard Starting

After they took care of the recall items I had problems with hard starting.They replaced the battery and one injector.They delivered the bike and the exact thing happened again and we got into it pretty good.They changed the second injector and the problem was solved.At the time it was under warrantee.

Well, two things come to mind.

1. Original battery? BMWs are very finicky when it comes to voltage.

2. My better guess, gear selection sensor and/or side stand switch. If it isn't correctly sensing the side stand being up, it will kill the engine when it knows you are in gear. Or even weak spring so it is bouncing down, or maybe your boot bumping the switch or side stand?

What is interesting though is that for low voltage and sensor failure, I think those show as old faults in my GS-911 so the BMW shop should have found old fault codes. For the weak spring/stand accidentally moving, that wouldn't read as an error in the computer.

Anyway, those are my wild guesses.

Could even be dirty kill switch too, I guess.

Replaced battery, ,Ihave tried to shake the side stand , while riding nothing ,have also tried to move around kill switch seems to be in good shape, only kills in when it is switched all way in the off position .what gets me is the delay in the start when I turn switch, sometimes it will start instantly, and other times may have to wait 3 to 10 seconds before
any thing will happen

Back