• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Too bad BMW does want to sell cop motorcycles........

One of the European countries is using Kawasaki ZX's to chase down speeders; don't know which country or which model. (One of the guys around here has a ZX10 that is ALL gloss black with just a little bit of chrome - actually quite a good-lookin' machine.)

Also, I just heard on our local news radio station KNX that Harley gave 2 white bikes to the Vatican's police force.

One of the European countries is using Kawasaki ZX's to chase down speeders; don't know which country or which model. (One of the guys around here has a ZX10 that is ALL gloss black with just a little bit of chrome - actually quite a good-lookin' machine.)

Also, I just heard on our local news radio station KNX that Harley gave 2 white bikes to the Vatican's police force.

Given the child abuse issues may God work on both the Vatican and in keeping the H-D's running. I am surprised they didn't go with a German product however given their past history.

Paying of indulgences?

RTP's are already done by dealers as opposed to by BMW now.

Billy, what do you mean? Surely each dealer doesn't install the wiring to each bike? That has to already be there. They may apply the accessories like radio, radar, and shotgun mounts, but they don't take a stock RT and make it a RT-P..

Billy, what do you mean? Surely each dealer doesn't install the wiring to each bike? That has to already be there. They may apply the accessories like radio, radar, and shotgun mounts, but they don't take a stock RT and make it a RT-P..

By wiring I assume you mean the wire harness? You are right in what you say. Dealers are not converting RT's into RTP's. There is substantial work with authority-related accessories like you mentioned. It's a pretty big task to get an RTP ready for daily work.

BMW could learn a valuable lesson from Harley - When your product is out there and seen (in another country, no less) by hundreds of thousands of viewers in a parade, that has to have some impact.
Just as many "American" motorcyclists may prefer to buy an "American" product, I cannot doubt that many buyers in other countries would also prefer to keep their dollars in their own country.

I've met some of the guys from the HD Rimini shop when they came out to tour the American Southwest - they be a partyin' bunch!

I would guess that since the USA is such a larger potential market than say, Germany, that any manufacturer would love to be able to break into that market. I would agree that H-D would have a difficult time trying to sell police motors in Germany.

I would guess that since the USA is such a larger potential market than say, Germany, that any manufacturer would love to be able to break into that market. I would agree that H-D would have a difficult time trying to sell police motors in Germany.

BMW is supposedly the #1 manufacturer of authority bikes in the world. America is a different animal though. HD as a police bike has been a TOMA thing in this country for awhile.

I just spent the morning running around like a cop, with the cops on duty, as I ran civilian support for a local triathlon on some stunning two lane rural roads on an open course. I work support with three retired motor cops (how I got in, who knows:D) As usual my silly race official placard on the windscreen, the military spec lime green vest and hazard lights let me jump double yellows, pass traffic over double yellows, exceed the speed limit at times and all in all have a fun time, and I may add, stay safe and keep the 700+ riders safe.

Oh ya, why did I post here, well I find the play cop world, just like the real cop world, has a lot of time spent standing around next to the motors. I had fun, as usual, comparing notes on the bikes and talking about what they like to ride. One guy made the change from BMW to a Connie a year ago and at first missed his BMW cop bike. Now, he loves his Connie, but admits that the BMW was a better slow speed mount for him.

Playing cop, without that whole bullet get shot thing:uhoh , is a lot of fun:thumb

I love retirement!

Last edited:

Yes, but H-D is the major player. BMW is nothing but a niche market.

The dead are blessed. Dead is inanimate. I say whatever gets you through the night.

Now now Ponch... I realize you're a non-believer and God gives you the right to not believe. There are repercussions for non-believers however when they die. I realize you won't believe that but we still love you brother.

By the way, you cannot pray for the dead. The Bible clearly states that. Is this discussion even allowed on this forum? Probably not...

Now now Ponch... I realize you're a non-believer and God gives you the right to not believe. There are repercussions for non-believers however when they die. I realize you won't believe that but we still love you brother.

By the way, you cannot pray for the dead. The Bible clearly states that. Is this discussion even allowed on this forum? Probably not...

I went to parochial school until the 8th grade, so I've BTDT. Lets just say I'd like to be proven wrong.

Now, how about them Harley's?

I went to parochial school until the 8th grade, so I've BTDT. Lets just say I'd like to be proven wrong.

Now, how about them Harley's?

Oh yea, we were discussing Harley's weren't we. What's to discuss? Any municipality that thinks a Harley makes a better police bike has no experience with BMW. Case closed. It would be impossible to say the Harley is a better vehicle.

/ mod hat on /

Folks, let's keep the discussion to motorcycles, BMW and uh, what was it...oh yeah, Harleys, and police departments. Religion has no place in this discussion and is not permitted per the Posting Guidelines. So, let's bring this back on track, please.

Thanks!

/ mod hat off /

Oh yea, we were discussing Harley's weren't we. What's to discuss? Any municipality that thinks a Harley makes a better police bike has no experience with BMW. Case closed. It would be impossible to say the Harley is a better vehicle.

Last week during the class I got to ride the 2013 HD police motor with 100 different changes to the motorcycle. Within 15 minutes of hard cone work my left armed started to remind me that the HD still had cable clutch. It was a hard pull. During a lunch break I was able to go for a long ride but the ride was very uncomfortable. The wind protection was none, there was wind around my legs, arms and chest It got worst on the interstate. I wonder if the ride would be better with full face helmet?? I love my RT and loved my RTP. Best cop motorcycle made.

Which police bike is better is no different than which police car is better. There is no doubt if you ask a police officer which brand of bike or car he likes, he will have his/her favourite but in reality it all boils down to dollars & cents when the tax payer is paying the bill.

Most of the big 3 auto dealers in North America, build a police spec car, and then the various police agencies outfit it with there own equipment. At one point a few years ago, I can't recall which of the big 3, was championing a complete police spec car down to the lights, sirens etc. It never got off the ground in this country, due to cost. Buying a police spec car then installing your own equipment allows you to spread the police equipment cost over several years.

Police bikes are a very small percentage of the police fleet universe and can perform some functions better than a 4 wheeled vehicle. No matter what the police vehicle, it can't out run the radio. High speed chases are tightly controlled by most police agencies, due to liability, hazard to the police and the general public.

Having owned both BMW R bikes and Harley bikes, the Harley bikes are easier & cheaper to maintain. Both bikes come with ABS, run flat tires etc.

I've always found it odd that some BMW folks run Harleys down, but I don't see much from the Harley crowd on complaining about the BMW bikes. Both models of bike, especially the R models have much more in common with a HD than any other bike, being that for the most part they are both still air cooled and based on very old technology. But technology that still works.

As long as we are on 2 wheels, that's about all that matters.

I've always found it odd that some BMW folks run Harleys down, but I don't see much from the Harley crowd on complaining about the BMW bikes. Both models of bike, especially the R models have much more in common with a HD than any other bike, being that for the most part they are both still air cooled and based on very old technology. But technology that still works.

As long as we are on 2 wheels, that's about all that matters.

I disagree. I rode both Harley and BMW police bikes while on the job. Harley guys do not put down BMW because after they ride a BMW RT they are for the most part, speechless, saying just "Wow. I had no idea." and similar comments.

Back