• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'95 K75 Fuel Tank

tlcoulter

I have been tinkering with a barn find '95 K75. The fuel tank was full of crud, so I had it cleaned and polished, and I ordered a new fuel pump, fuel filter, hoses, and fuel level sending unit. I am ready now to put it back together.

The tank has two "spigots" at the left side, front part of the tank. Is it correct that the rear one goes to the fuel rail, and the front one goes "somewhere in the front part of the engine".

Also, how tight should the four screws, on the underside of the tank, that hold the gauge sending unit, be? I have not been able to find any torque specs on them, and I would like to avoid leaks!

I added the Year to your thread title. Please do so in the future: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?46057-Please-include-MODEL-and-YEAR-in-your-thread-title!

The forward "spigot" comes from the fuel pressure regulator. I would recommend replacing that hose with the factory molded hose while you have it apart. The rear "spigot" goes to the fuel rail.

I hope you bought a new fuel pump vibration damper (the rubber surround that holds the fuel pump). That was what was dissolved inside your tank.

The fuel sender is not sealed by the tightness of the bolts. There is an O-ring that seals it. I hope you ordered a new one of these also.

There are also two smaller "spigots" about 8" from the right rear of the tank. These are the tank vent and the filler cap rain drain. There should be a black plastic "cup" clipped to the frame rail below these with a hose attached to the bottom of the "cup" that drains to the right foot peg plate area.

:dance:dance:dance

....Snip...

I hope you bought a new fuel pump vibration damper (the rubber surround that holds the fuel pump). That was what was dissolved inside your tank.

The fuel sender is not sealed by the tightness of the bolts. There is an O-ring that seals it. I hope you ordered a new one of these also.

There are also two smaller "spigots" about 8" from the right rear of the tank. These are the tank vent and the filler cap rain drain. There should be a black plastic "cup" clipped to the frame rail below these with a hose attached to the bottom of the "cup" that drains to the right foot peg plate area.

:dance:dance:dance[/QUOTE]

Yes, I did get a new vibration damper. The tank was full of rust. I know it's aluminum, so the best I can figure is that the fuel level measuring rod inside the tank is steel, and it is the source of the rust.

I realize that the O-ring seals the sender unit, and yes, I got a new one. However, I still would like to know how tight to get the screws on the sender unit.

Both of my 2 smaller spigots are sealed -- there are rubber plugs on both of them, and when I removed the tank the first time I do not recall seeing any hoses going to that area.

tlcoulter said:
Both of my 2 smaller spigots are sealed -- there are rubber plugs on both of them, and when I removed the tank the first time I do not recall seeing any hoses going to that area.

That ain't right! No functioning tank vent and no rain drain???

No hoses. Like I said, there should be a cup clipped to the frame that aligns with the spigots.

That ain't right! No functioning tank vent and no rain drain???

No hoses. Like I said, there should be a cup clipped to the frame that aligns with the spigots.

So I should take the rubber plugs off, right? The guy that cleaned the tank might have put the plugs on. I will call him, and see what he says. Thanks!

Back