• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stebel Horn - 08 RT

KevinRT

KevinRT
I am considering either installing a Stebel air horn or the dual BMW horns from an 2005 model. I probably want to go with the Stebel but am wondering if one can give a more modest warning or if the horn is activated at full blast each and every time. Sometimes it's appropriate for just a little warning, and sometimes it's better to make them think it's coming from a transport truck. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

I have one on R1200S. It is great here in Phoenix/Scottsdale and on I-10. Truck drivers hear it.

Was easy for me, but had the cannister removed already (that's where horn went) and a fusebox to connect it.

Just a touch...

I am considering either installing a Stebel air horn or the dual BMW horns from an 2005 model. I probably want to go with the Stebel but am wondering if one can give a more modest warning or if the horn is activated at full blast each and every time. Sometimes it's appropriate for just a little warning, and sometimes it's better to make them think it's coming from a transport truck. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!
I had the same concern. However, I find that a soft blip of the horn button produces a sound that is "friendly"...however, the "steam ship in the kitchen" sound is there as well.

How difficult was it to install? I'd like a louder horn on both my bikes.
The electrical work was easy on my '06 1200GS. However, finding an easy way to mount the horn took some doing...had to track down a bracket that's no longer produced. Also, the install required some familiarity with relays in order to use the OEM horn button, which is not, as I understand it, capable of handling the current that the Steibel horn requires.

Thanks!

Pretty easy - if all you want to do is alert the other vehicle/pedestrian you are here then a tap on the Stebel button will alert them. If someone is in need of a wake-up [texting cellphone drivers for example] then a 2-second blast should get their attention.

On both bikes with pleasure.

Thanks to Bob and Peter. That's the info I was looking for. One doesn't always want to sound like a Mack truck!

Back