• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Low fuel light on 1998 R1100R

rdhudson

RD'nNH&AZ
I checked my fuel mileage and am getting about 46MPG. The low fuel light is coming on at 160 miles. Phil Hawksley's BMW Motorcycle Information Site lists the fuel capacity at 6.34 US gallons. I would go on fumes at something over 275 miles. Is the 160 "normal" for the light or did I bend something when I changed the fuel filter when I got the bike?
Ralph

I checked my fuel mileage and am getting about 46MPG. The low fuel light is coming on at 160 miles. Phil Hawksley's BMW Motorcycle Information Site lists the fuel capacity at 6.34 US gallons. I would go on fumes at something over 275 miles. Is the 160 "normal" for the light or did I bend something when I changed the fuel filter when I got the bike?
Ralph

I have a 1999 R1100R - I don't think that 6.34 is correct. I forget the exact number but my tank holds 5 and change in gallons. Your low fuel light coming on at 160 would be very much in my ball park. I will cmfortably get fuel when local anywhere from 200 to 225 miles on the trip meter. Reserve is approximately 1 gal so I am into the reserve at my stated trip meter numbers.

At a steady 70ish mph my bike will average approximately 52 mpg. Headwinds will knock it down to about 46 to 48 mpg. I ride with a Cee Bailey with +5 inches and at my height of 6' 1" the windshield is about as close to perfect in height as you're likely to get. I do look over the windshield and not through it.

By the way... isn't that fuel filter fun to change?:)

Thanks

I'll adjust my thinking. The 5+ gallons should mean I can go the 200+ on the trip meter. BTW I'll check my mileage a few times as I would love to find it at 50+. When the tank gets filled tomorrow there will be 180+ on the last fill up at 50-60 local roads for half and then 70 return on the slab. It should be typical. I have the BMW shield on and no bags for this ride. At 5'8" and 185 I should get close to Billy's

Ralph

You guys still use Imperial Gallons? I haven't seen that since our family fishing trips to Ontario in the late 60's...............

Nah. I pasted the data from Phil Hawksley's wonderful site. Canada started going metric in 1970 and dropped Imperial Gallons around 1972 I think it was. Canada modified the weights and measures act, changed all the scales, gas pumps and well, everything in the entire country over the next few years.

When it came time for the USA to switch over Reagan decided in 1980 he didn't like the idea and took all the funding away from the US Metric Board. That screwed us (and many other trading partners) right up. Oddly just before leaving office in 1988 he changed his mind and declared metric the preferred system. :scratch

Fast forward 40 years and that leaves the USA, Liberia and Burma as the only non metric nations in the world.

Go figure.

When it came time for the USA to switch over Reagan .........................................

Fast forward 40 years and that leaves the USA, Liberia and Burma as the only non metric nations in the world.

Go figure.

Yep, I lived that history. My engineering education in the late 70's was in metric.

Back