• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GS ride from East to Rally in Or.

B

balthazard

Hi,
I just registered to the rally and would like to know if there is a forum. group or else than plan to ride from east to west for the Rally.
Ideally some or all of the ride in off-road would be ideal!

I will leave from Montreal and could join a group.

Have a good one.

Balthazard

Matt from NHampshire:)

My Friend on his GSA is riding from NHamshire to meet me in NCal on July14th, GSGiants in Hayfork,CA.. He leaves around a week prior, so find him. He has been posting here, send him a private message or he may read this! He is avid off road GS guy on his GSA1150. We rode and met together last year in Arkansas and we will be together again in Hayfork, CA., en route to Salem. The Hayfork gathering is a GSGiant sanctioned campout, before Salem. JOIN us there:). We all camp together in Salem as well at rally, as we have been doing the past few years. GREAT TIMES....I believe Matt is looking or interested in fellow GS riders joining up, crossing the USA, better find him. You're in his backyard closeby:). Randy"Polarbear"

Also another:)

My Pal, Don Burns on his "Warthog" GSA, out of Colorado Springs, CO. leaves home crossing the Interstate 70 out of Denver and US50 crossing Utah and into Reno, Nevada on July 12th I think he leaves home. He is also interested in joining up for some fast crossing to Hayfork. He may have a tight schedule leaving on the 12th from Colorado, but he will be out there and joining us in NCal:) and Salem. More will chime in, most probable. Thanks for signing up GS and it will be a hoot again:). Randy

A TIP into California:)

Ya'll coming from East CAN ride the Feather River Canyon, Hwy70 into the state. Find it just North of Reno off of US395 and you'll be in rider heaven as you enter California:). It gets you a great heading for Hayfork,Ca. GS Campout. Check it out! Some of our best riding in California is there on Hwy's70 and 89. Sort your way thru there and smile a lot. Randy

When are you looking to leave?

I will be leaving from Boston on July 11 on my F800GS. I will be going through NY and then Ontario to Michigan. Once in Michigan I plan on riding a mix of paved and unpaved roads through MN, ND, MT, ID, WA to Portland, then the OR coast, arriving at the rally on the 18th. I'll be camping it for the most part. You are welcome to tag along if you would like to meet up.

There will be a GS Gypsy Tour meeting up in Kamiah, Idaho on Sunday night, July 14. An outstanding 2+ day adventure ride will ensue from there.

Stay tuned to the GS Giant thread for more info.

Ian

Reno to Salem

We have a small group that plans to leave Reno on Wednesday, July 17 proceed to Klamath Falls for evening and then continue on into Salem on the 18th.
This takes us through Crater Lake National Park.
Let me know if you are interested in joining forces with us!

I will be leaving from Boston on July 11 on my F800GS. I will be going through NY and then Ontario to Michigan. Once in Michigan I plan on riding a mix of paved and unpaved roads through MN, ND, MT, ID, WA to Portland, then the OR coast, arriving at the rally on the 18th. I'll be camping it for the most part. You are welcome to tag along if you would like to meet up.

Hi Eric,

Sounds great, have you prepared a GPS file? If so, can you share with me has I would like to do some research on off-road tracks.
I am flexible with departure date. Between NY and Ontario, let me know if you want to come by Montreal.
Normand

Hi Eric,

Sounds great, have you prepared a GPS file? If so, can you share with me has I would like to do some research on off-road tracks.
The ride that starts from Kamiah has a couple of great off-pavement routes across central OR...

Ian

Oregon TIP:)

Riding off road across Oregon takes you thru Volcano Country as you near the Cascades Range, mid state. Have the "right tires" for most fun, as its pumice soft in lots of places. I have ridden it on Tourances/BattleWings many times, but always wished for Heidenau's or the better TKC knobs. That stuff gets slippery even when dry. Tons of fun. Let air out:) and stand a LOT on them pegs. We have this too, around Mount Shasta, Southern end of Range. STAY OFF the lava bed trails if possible, IT CUTS your tires to bits:( and some trails go in there. Happy Trails, Randy

Still working on routing

Hi Eric,

I am flexible with departure date. Between NY and Ontario, let me know if you want to come by Montreal.
Normand

Still putting together GPS files. The route I am planning will be 90%+ pavement until Montana. Before Montana I intend to visit Aerostich in Duluth, visit the Mississippi River headwaters, and visit the Theo Roosevelt NP. Most of that pavement will be smaller roads with some major highways when not much else is available (no Interstate).

Once in Montana, I am envisioning 50% unpaved/50% paved until the Columbia River Byway using sections of the CDR in Mt and riding the Lolo Motorway in ID. From the Columbia RH I was planning on hitting the coast and then swinging east to the rally.

If this still sounds interesting to you, let me know and we can discuss further off-line. For a meet-up I was thinking either upstate NY or Southern Ontario. I have never been to Lake Placid, so that is the way I am heading into Canada.

Enjoy Lake Placid:)

Its my home as a Kid, my parents grew up there and Saranac Lake, my Dad. Lake Placid has changed dramatically but still quite a nice one to visit. The Oregon Coast has some of the best vista's of all the coastline. Tillamook area especially:). Get OFF Hwy101 and go around the coast loop roads that hug the shore:). Hwy101 does most of the coastline, BUT a few alternates up and down the Oregon Coast(closer to ocean) will give you more smiles and neat byways. Tillamook, Oregon has a neat cheese plant tour, famous cheese:). The back roads from there to inland Salem are FULL of ELK, so ride safe and enjoy the critters:). IF YA camp, State Parks Oregon are some of the finest, most all....Randy

Thanks!

Its my home as a Kid, my parents grew up there and Saranac Lake, my Dad. Lake Placid has changed dramatically but still quite a nice one to visit. The Oregon Coast has some of the best vista's of all the coastline. Tillamook area especially:). Get OFF Hwy101 and go around the coast loop roads that hug the shore:). Hwy101 does most of the coastline, BUT a few alternates up and down the Oregon Coast(closer to ocean) will give you more smiles and neat byways. Tillamook, Oregon has a neat cheese plant tour, famous cheese:). The back roads from there to inland Salem are FULL of ELK, so ride safe and enjoy the critters:). IF YA camp, State Parks Oregon are some of the finest, most all....Randy

I am looking forward to Lake Placid. I am sure I'll get chills seeing where the Miracle on Ice happened.:clap I will hug the Coast and keep an eye out for Elk.

Still putting together GPS files. The route I am planning will be 90%+ pavement until Montana....Once in Montana, I am envisioning 50% unpaved/50% paved until the Columbia River Byway using sections of the CDR in Mt and riding the Lolo Motorway in ID. From the Columbia RH I was planning on hitting the coast and then swinging east to the rally.

From Western Montana there is a superb off-road route called The MacGruder Corridor (sp?). The Frank Church and River of No Return Wilderness areas were written 'around' this route! It is often not open (snows) until rally time (July/late July), and cautions state; 'extra tires and chain saw'. (PS; I've not crossed this route.) Hamilton, MT. is the eastern end of teh MacGruder. More info is on Forest Service pages.

The Lolo Pass route (12?) is superb, so the choice would be challenging. Perhaps pavement coming and The MacGruder going??

Further south, Red Rock Pass (MT.) and Lemhi Pass to Tendoy, ID. are less challenging but cross spectacular country.

In Oregon I have plotted some routes of interest. http://ridewithgps.com/users/6704/routes Those marked MOA, were specifically plotted to benefit Rally visitors to the state. Use them as plotted, or contact me with your questions.

Have fun!
Steve Miller

Back