• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Intermittently the gear indicator will rapidly change gears! '06 R1200RT

Okay guys,

I have an r1200rt that was built in May of 2006. I have a little over 38k miles on the bike. Intermittently the gear indicator on the instrument panel will rapidly switch between gears while ridding down the road. Nothing like cruising on the highway and watching your gear selector drop to 1st gear! Up to this point it has not effected the driveability going down the road however I have experienced a no crank no start a couple of times when I could get the gear indictor to read neutral even with the trans physical in neutral. I cannot remember all the details but I do believe it would not crank even with the side stand up and clutch in. I know that does not make sense because the bike should crank and start in any gear with the clutch in and side stand up. Memory could be wrong was about 800 miles from home both times it happened. The gear selector switch in plugged and secure. I have not checked terminal tension at the switch or ECM.

Has anyone else experienced this concern?

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
On the 1150, this would be due to an intermittent (or wet and/or dirty) "gear position indicator switch" mounted on the rear of the transmission. If faulty, it should not affect the ability to start - this is from the green "neutral" indicator, which is a separate switch but is mounted piggyback to the gear indicator.

I'm not familiar with what these new-fangled 1200s use, but I think the switch got replaced with a potentiometer - if so, then that's where the issue probably is, either a bad wiper or crud inside.

had similar issues.. many changes were made look at parts fiche ..replaced part below

04 23 00 7 711 960 POTENTIOMETER WITH WIRE - L=300MM (to 08/09) 0.14 1 $169.65

Mark,

Please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?46055 - I edited your thread title to add that info. Please do so yourself in future posts to the tech forums.

It sounds as if you may have multiple problems.. and a GS911 would be a great way to determine what is causing them (it can read the "state" of the different interlock switches on the bike and the resistance of the gear-position-potentiometer.)

The multiple items I see as a problem:

1. Obviously the gear indicator is a problem, and the symptoms do point to either a bad connection going to the gear position potentiometer, or a bad potentiometer.

2. Additionally - even if the bike IS in gear - with the sidestand up and the clutch pulled fully in - it should start. There is an interlock switch on the clutch lever which has been known to gunk up. Cleaning and reinstalling it usually fixes things - but there is a catch. There is a small metal disk with a nubbin on it that goes into one of the holes in the switch so the retaining screw presses against metal instead of the plastic switch housing. When you remove the switch (one setscrew under the switch) - the metal piece tries to make a run for the darkest corner of the garage. It also does that when you attempt to reinstall it. I cured mine of that problem by gluing the metal bit to the switch.

Anyway - the GS911 would tell you if the gear position pot is working, and allow you to calibrate it, and it would show if the clutch-lever switch is behaving like it's supposed to. You may want to ask around in your area to see if anyone has one that could check your bike for you.

On the 1150, this would be due to an intermittent (or wet and/or dirty) "gear position indicator switch" mounted on the rear of the transmission. If faulty, it should not affect the ability to start - this is from the green "neutral" indicator, which is a separate switch but is mounted piggyback to the gear indicator.

I'm not familiar with what these new-fangled 1200s use, but I think the switch got replaced with a potentiometer - if so, then that's where the issue probably is, either a bad wiper or crud inside.

Thanks for the idea. Getting the gear position switch wet caused it to read the incorrect gear. Order a switch from the local dealer. One problem down one to go.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

Please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?46055 - I edited your thread title to add that info. Please do so yourself in future posts to the tech forums.

It sounds as if you may have multiple problems.. and a GS911 would be a great way to determine what is causing them (it can read the "state" of the different interlock switches on the bike and the resistance of the gear-position-potentiometer.)

The multiple items I see as a problem:

1. Obviously the gear indicator is a problem, and the symptoms do point to either a bad connection going to the gear position potentiometer, or a bad potentiometer.

2. Additionally - even if the bike IS in gear - with the sidestand up and the clutch pulled fully in - it should start. There is an interlock switch on the clutch lever which has been known to gunk up. Cleaning and reinstalling it usually fixes things - but there is a catch. There is a small metal disk with a nubbin on it that goes into one of the holes in the switch so the retaining screw presses against metal instead of the plastic switch housing. When you remove the switch (one setscrew under the switch) - the metal piece tries to make a run for the darkest corner of the garage. It also does that when you attempt to reinstall it. I cured mine of that problem by gluing the metal bit to the switch.

Anyway - the GS911 would tell you if the gear position pot is working, and allow you to calibrate it, and it would show if the clutch-lever switch is behaving like it's supposed to. You may want to ask around in your area to see if anyone has one that could check your bike for you.

A DVOM will also tell me if clutch switch or gear position sensor is not working. Thanks for the title correction forum police.

A DVOM will also tell me if clutch switch or gear position sensor is not working. Thanks for the title correction forum police.
A DVOM will read the device, but it won't tell you if the ZFE control module sees the open/closed switch or the gear position correctly. That's what the GS911 offers that you simply can't do with a DVOM. You also will find it much easier to plug in the GS911 to the diagnostics port, rather than trying to connect to the wiring going to the switches/sensors, especially if you're looking at the end where the wiring connects to the computer module.

No problem with the thread title correction - we're here to help you. :clap

Gear Indicator '06 RT

Mine did that about 25,000 miles ago. Also in some rainy weather. I took it apart like Don reports and just put some dielectric grease in the plug in connection. It has never acted up again. KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) try things first before buying parts. If it doesn't work after futsying with it then buy a part.

Me Too

I'm having the same problem with my 06 RT. Can anyone tell me where to look for the suspect connector on the transmission or maybe share a photo?
Thanks

Back