• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Want to plug lock cylinder hole in new gas cap (85 R80)

jimbc

This spring I couldn't unlock my gas cap, so I pulled the lock cylinder to discover a plastic bit in the cap had broken.

I now have a new cap and I'm not going to use the lock cylinder.

I heard there's a plug that goes in place of the lock cylinder and if this is true does anyone know the part number of said plug?

Thanks, Jim

Hi Kurt

I work at a car dealership with an attached body shop. The "Wurth" sales guy that comes to our store told me he heard that BMW has a plug that fits in place of the lock cylinder. It's this p/n I'm trying to find (him as well for me). If it doesn't exist I do have an alternative trim push pin "christmas tree" that would do the job. Of course I'd prefer the real article.

Cheeers

I checked the parts fiche and don't see any part like this. Seems strange for BMW to supply something like that when it's expected there is a lock cylinder in there. :dunno

I checked the parts fiche and don't see any part like this. Seems strange for BMW to supply something like that when it's expected there is a lock cylinder in there. :dunno

I got the part number for the gas cap from Max's fiche. It called it a "non-locking" gas cap so I ordered it. When it arrived, it of course has the hole for the lock cylinder. I agree that the fiche doesn't list a plug but because the Wurth guy has heard of one is the reason I'm investigating. It may not exist but it doesn't hurt to poke around just in case.

Take care and ride safe.

Info from someone unknown, who tells the Wurth guy, who tells Jim, who tells us. Triple hearsay!

As to the substance: there's a ton of BMW experience around here. No one here has ever seen or even heard of this part. That's persuasive to me that it doesn't exist.

Info from someone unknown, who tells the Wurth guy, who tells Jim, who tells us. Triple hearsay!

As to the substance: there's a ton of BMW experience around here. No one here has ever seen or even heard of this part. That's persuasive to me that it doesn't exist.

I agree to an extent, but that's what they told me about a thumb screw throttle lock for an R1100. Until I found that very part for authority (police) bikes.

Thanks everyone. Hopefully the Wurth guy will pull through.

I like the small roundel idea too.

Cheers

Try the hardware store, they have different sized black plastic caps that should work. May have to glue it depending on the fit.

You forget one thing - its now on the internet so it MUST exist. :lol

Roundel on my gas cap

I bought this at a Rally from Bob's BMW - they're a stock item and it has an adhesive back. A good solution for me.

Attachments

• Roundel.jpg
    Roundel.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 63
At the RA rally I saw a gas cap with a smooth metal cover, exactly like a regular one except there was no rectangular slot for the key. Just a smooth 1/2" or so disc in the center, edges rolled down as usual.

Back