• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Extended Warranty

Eldor

The original 3-year warranty on my K1300GT is going to expire in a month or two and I'm considering an extended warranty. My understanding was that BMW themselves offer an extended warranty but not so according to my local dealer. (I'm in Canada, if that makes any difference.)

The price I'm being quoted by my dealer is about $1,700 for three years, with a $100 deductible each time. I'd heard from folks in the States that they got 3-year extended warranties (and in one case even a 6-year) for just about $1,000. And that's through a Quebec insurance underwriting company. My dealer tells me that is the only extended warranty available.

Anyone have experience with this? Any other options? My dealer isn't going to budge even a little bit on the price.

My GSA1200'07

I'm still in my warranty:). I got the 7 year plan, an extra 4 years above BMW standard 3 years, 36000miles. I got the extra 4 years for 900$ here in California, back in Feb.,2008 when I bought the bike new. This includes NO mileage limit. About another year and a half+ for mine to go. GLAD I got it. These warranties ARE very subjective to profit margins all over the place,. SO shop wise. The dealers selling them have MUCH room to adjust and wiggle I hear!!! Mine was 1200$+, as they tried to sell it and I wiggled them down to 900$. ROOM to move on these warranty prices is there, just stare at them harder. Buying warranty later may be harder to achieve same result? Don't know, but as I bought the bike new, I shopped my warranty before out the door, first mile on odometer and the dealer had incentives, just maybe! Randy PS; ALSO, no deductables here, 100% coverage when needed.

My Company;

"Western" is the name out of the SF Bay area, USA. They have been selling BMW extended plans for decades, my first with them, no issues and I have had maybe 3 or 4 claims thru BMW dealers and never a blink:). Randy

So, do I understand correctly that even in the States BMW does not themselves offer an extended warranty? That it's always through third-parties?

The extended warranties offered by BMW dealers are not BMW warranties. And you may buy such a warranty from a non-BMW dealer or even directly from the warranty company in some cases.

If you like to prepay for repairs, get a warranty.

Just know that insurance companies don't lose money.

Yes, I know, somebody might let you in line in front of them and you might win $590 million.

The price I'm being quoted by my dealer is about $1,700 for three years, with a $100 deductible each time.

If you think you're going to spend more than $1,800 in warrantable repairs in the next 3 years - buy it. If not, I'm on board with LKChris.

I seldom buy aftermarket warrantees. I have never bought one on a vehicle and I don't regret it. Even though I have had break downs on my 04RT, I believe I am still ahead financially. I do my own repairs so that may help.

If you like to prepay for repairs, get a warranty.

Just know that insurance companies don't lose money.

Yes, I know, somebody might let you in line in front of them and you might win $590 million.

Extended warranty's are nothing more than insurance policies. If you break they may be of value. If you don't it was a waste of money. Which way to go?

I would word it this way: if a serious repair has the potential to hurt you substantially financially speaking and you're not willing to risk that financial pain I would consider the policy. On the other hand given the reliability of today's motorcycles if you can afford to expose yourself to the risk of a major repair I would pass on the policy.

No one can read into the future. You will not know the value of the plan until the plan runs out and it may become a total waste of money as in any insurance policy. Make sure you fully understand what the policy covers. Do not wait until something happens and you then decide you were ripped off because something was not covered. Most 3rd party policies have limitations; know the limitations prior to purchase, not after. Be an informed consumer before you step up to the plate. It all comes down to the level of risk that you personally are willing to absorb. Nothing more, nothing less.

MY First;

This bike I got the 7 years and GLAD I did. Already payed for itself 4 times over! Y'all go figure. the one FD build payed the 900$ warranty I bought and I still have almost two more years. I never bought the plans before either, but BMW has clearly lost much of its legendary status, never repair bikes. My others were a fuel strip and brake line under tank and fuel sensor thingy up near top of tank. All warranty outside the 36000m limit, done because I bought extra warranty. You CAN get the prices down on warranties, just fight harder. I did. Randy

This bike I got the 7 years and GLAD I did. Already payed for itself 4 times over! Y'all go figure. the one FD build payed the 900$ warranty I bought and I still have almost two more years. I never bought the plans before either, but BMW has clearly lost much of its legendary status, never repair bikes. My others were a fuel strip and brake line under tank and fuel sensor thingy up near top of tank. All warranty outside the 36000m limit, done because I bought extra warranty. You CAN get the prices down on warranties, just fight harder. I did. Randy

Polarbear, is it possible you got the lower price because final drive and fuel strip issues had not yet become as common? Insurance companies FOR SURE exist to make money - but they must base their rates on past experience. Sometimes they guess wrong and lose. You were the winner, and good for you. (Or maybe both you and insurance company benefitted by a number of people buying insurance identical to yours for the same model/year bike.) Another thing to consider - high mileage riders are more likely to benefit from an "extended warrantee" than low mileage riders. Clearly, the lack of mileage constraints is vital for the former group.

I think the general advice to insure only against possible calamities you can not afford is sound advice. But clearly, there a folks who have come out ahead in this game. Think long and hard about the likelihood of you being one of them.

I never buy extended warranties. From TVs to hair driers, to used motorcycles/cars, have always figured it can be fixed, just get it home. Part of the trip.

About powerball annuity, AFAIK, every time the computer picks a number, it picks an entirely random number from the approximately 190 million possibilities. So, regardless of where you stand in a line the picks would not have been the same if you changed places in the line. Long odds, but two picks, one after the other, could actually be the same number?

And if you win the annuity, with the payout, after taxes the the annuity buyout, say you win the BIG megaball tonight, 14 million, you get about a third, 4.5, which you get to split with the partner, then your extended family and all your new/old friends show up, basically you're broke before you get back from the bank.

I am same;

Never before ever bought any extended plans on anything I buy. Still, my current GSA got me off the fence and I did it. I'm still of mind to walk away from warranties on everything I buy. It doesn't take much reading these forum pages to know BMWs are not cheap to fix and if one can shop wise enough to shave the cost of a warranty plan, do so and smile. I am one of those HIGH milers, get my dollars worth out of my bikes. I also can FIX my own, so wrenching is in my blood. I just like to see others eat it, as I grow older and can afford to take a warranty buy risk. I win in this case, with my current ride. Paid off:). I have a limit and a plan at 1000+$ is out of line for my blood too. My usual bike changes are at around 7 years or more. Some less in years past and almost all with over 100000m on them. Randy

Back