Thread: new Buell-Harley coming, dual sport??

HODAG

new Buell-Harley coming, dual sport??

dual sport "Discovery"
    teaser
    I'm all a shudder with excitement, goodbye "big blue", hello big twin.
    I've actually followed Eric Buell's bike building career right up until he sold out to HD. This may force me to take a ride to Beaver Dam tommorrow, and have a talk with Art.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark11LT
    dual sport "Discovery"
    So what do you think? A Lightning CityX with dual sport tires? I almost bought a M2 Cyclone instead of the Roadster. I actually had hope for Buell when they dropped the sportster motor. But they haven't lived up to it. IMHO

HODAG
    I'm thinking new design??
    maybe use the v-rod engine.

Got any pics of it yet? All I saw on the Buell site was street bikes.

- Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that? - Lisa Clayman
    - A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain. --Robert Frost

HODAG
    I lifted the info of the advrider site, here is the complete thread started a few months ago. you know how sales guys drop hints about new products.

Everywhere...

This subject is popping up on boards all over the place. I think supermoto instead of dualsport.

I'm guessing they'll take the current "CityX" engine and tweak the frame, wheels and suspension to make a true supermoto, instead of the little streetfighter it is.

Whatever it is, the term "all was italicized, and they showed dirt roads. That says either dualsport or supermoto. I'm guessing supermoto. Put the right price tag on it, and it will sell. I mean, if Suzuki can put a $6K price tag on a revamped DRZ400, I wonder how high Buell would go for a 984 cc supermoto?

I guess we'll know come July 23.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

ERIC1514

Supermoto

Don't mean to hijack, but...

I've seen the term "Supermoto" or "Supermotard" but what exactly is one? What makes a bike a Supermoto"?

TIA, Eric

HODAG
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1514
    Don't mean to hijack, but...

I've seen the term "Supermoto" or "Supermotard" but what exactly is one? What makes a bike a Supermoto"?

TIA, Eric
    I wondered also, is it kinda like a flat track racers of old?

From Wikipedia :

Supermoto (also called Supermotard due to its strong foothold in France) is a cross over of motocross and road racing. A big (typically 400cc to 700 cc) motocross or enduro bike with spoked road race wheels on slick tyres, is ridden on a circuit approximately 70% tarmac and 30% dirt. Commonly held on road racing tracks with the off road section in the in field. Riders wear road race leathers (as opposed to off road clothes). Unlike normal motorcycle racing, the emphasis lies on slower (<100mph), short and twisty tracks, where skill matters far more than outright machine performance.

History

Supermoto has its origins in the USA, where the ABC TV-network commissioned a racing series Superbikers to find the ultimate all-round motorcycle racer, back in 1979. It tried to draw on talent from the off-road, flat-track and road-racing world. The series ran until 1985 and the end of the series spelled pretty much the end of the sport in the USA. The French picked it up however and quickly gained popularity there and other parts of Europe.

Until the 1990's, supermoto's were converted motocross (MX) bikes or enduro bikes. In 1991 Italian manufacturer Gilera released the 'Nordwest' model, the first factory produced supermoto.

Other European manufactures followed suit quickly, among them KTM, Husqvarna, Husaberg AB and CCM; all manufacturers that emphasised off-road models at the time. Models were developed for both track and road use. It took another 10 years, until the mid 2000's for Japanese manufacturers, such as Yamaha (2004), Honda (2005) and Suzuki (2005) to start introducing supermoto models in the european market, emphasising more domesticated models for road use rather than outright racing.

Around the same time (2003), the sport was resurrected in the USA with the birth of AMA (American Motorcyclist Association) Supermoto championship.

- Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that? - Lisa Clayman
    - A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain. --Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1514
    Basically a dirtbike with 17" street tires and better brakes. Here's a pic of my SM bike.

I think the new Buell will be some type of Adventure touring bike. A lot of Buell guys I ride with are alway complaining about Buell needs to build a larger bike than the XB series. I think Buell will go bigger not smaller(Supermoto). I guess we will know for sure July 23.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF
    So what do you think? A Lightning CityX with dual sport tires? I almost bought a M2 Cyclone instead of the Roadster. I actually had hope for Buell when they dropped the sportster motor. But they haven't lived up to it. IMHO
    From what I've read on here the BMW twin has had 100 times the trouble of the EVO Sportster engine (since people on here ARE so picky about proper terminology...motors are electric and there is no such thing as a "throw-out" bearing on a clutch) the ONLY recurring trouble on the EVO Sportster engine was the first 2 years when the alternator was on the clutch basket. Once they moved it to the crank pin they have had NO recalls or what could be considered a cronic trouble with that engine. And if you want one to go REALLY fast....I can introduce you to Pete Hill. They are pretty-much bullet-proof.

MTBATP

Quote Originally Posted by MIKETHEBIKE
    From what I've read on here the BMW twin has had 100 times the trouble of the EVO Sportster engine (since people on here ARE so picky about proper terminology...motors are electric and there is no such thing as a "throw-out" bearing on a clutch)
    Engine, sorry. 100x? Wow! That means for every Sportster with engine problems that I've heard of there are 100 oilheads worse off? OK, but I didn't know there were that many sporsters with over 10,000 miles out there. Besides I said nothing of trouble. I was thinking of smoother and more HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKETHEBIKE
    And if you want one to go REALLY fast....I can introduce you to Pete Hill. They are pretty-much bullet-proof.
    So that's not from the "Motor Company" factory? I've ridden an almost stock White Lightning with a Sportster engine and wouldn't want to do 100 miles on that too often. Don't even mention touring.

Back on topic, what about the use of the Blast engine (500cc single)? Highly unlikely but, if they bumped it up to a 650 they could market it between a KLR and a F650. But with the American mentality of bigger is better I would bet it ends up with a 1200 engine. I will definatly be interested in what happens, i've had a hankering for a S3T for a while.