• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Touring Portugal

ch2ous

Hi All,

An opportunity to do some site seeing on two wheels in Portugal and maybe Spain is in my near future... Any tips on how I might prepare, what to, not to do, and where the best place to rent in Lisbon?

Gracias,

I've been to Spain a couple of times, but never on two wheels, and that's a great regret. The roads were generally great, the weather wonderful and there's regions ranging from the Costa Del Sol seaside to low mountains. There's occassionally some cities which the same name...one with del la Frontier affixed to it. That can be a little confusing...maybe not so much with a GPS. I'd got back to Barcelona for a couple of days if it were me...but those are non-riding days. The country is very motorcycle/scooter friendly. Watch out of hordes of clerks and shopgirls on scooters heading home on break for siesta! . There are several companies running tours of the Iberian Penninsuala so I don't think rental would be a problem. Spain is not third world, so don't expect to get off cheaply. And.... Do not piss off the Guardia Civil!

Attachments

• 200px-BMW_R_1200_RT_Guardia_Civil.jpg
    200px-BMW_R_1200_RT_Guardia_Civil.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 26
Portugal & IMT

We have loved southern Portugal,in late winter/ early spring - staying away from the heavily touristed areas.. summer brings an entirely different and much busier experience from what I've seen - we enjoyed February / March/April..we haven't ridden there, only driving, and haven't been north of Lisbon. We have ridden with IMT in Spain and will be doing it again this Sept, and in Provence and Tuscany. It's been a very good experience with them ! They now have rentals in Portugal, I think out of Lisbon? I highly recommend their tours. They know the roads, and the food and accomodation have been very good. Portuguese drivers are very aware of motorcycles, there are loads, and you may find the drivers following distance a tad too close -- not to be aggressive, it's just how they drive... The accomodation IMT uses is interesting - fortunately not the large chains, usually interesting local businesses, sometimes the pousadas, in lovely spots with good historical flavour.
A GPS, hopefully with a recommended route loaded, is also recommended. It is almost essential in some of the very small cobbled stone streets within the old towns/ cities - it can be a major maze, without a lot of signage. Many signs point to a town along that route, but may not list a road #...that can be a wee bit confusing, but always interesting to explore! Enjoy!

Back