• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

my bike smells like a cookout

Yes the 1100 and the 1150 have the same drain as Scott describes.
Since it's a GS, maybe BC just nailed it.
Another - and hopefully slim! - possibility... When we used to clean out a car's intake by dripping ATF into the carb, it would spout white smoke like a mosquito fogging truck. Maybe the wrong lubricant is in the crankcase? "Hey Bubba, let's use this synthetic!"

Sunflower seeds

Check the airbox drains, sounds like you are sucking something into the intake.

OK this is interesting, but... I opened the air filter box and there was a 3/4 inch ring of sunflower seeds from the bird feeder. The mice did this once before. My first thought was that your suggestions were right and the airbox was clogged or sucking seeds. But after a closer look all the seeds were still outside the filter. I opened the drain and there was no excessive fluid (or seeds). There was a small amount of oily sludge at the drain plug but I think just a bit of deposit from the K&N reusable filter.

Today was heavy rain and flash floods so I took the opportunity to clean the filter... it takes a day to dry and re-oil. I'll get it back together over the weekend and see what happens. I'm doubtful the seeds were the problem, but maybe. If it still smokes I'll get a closer look at the color.

Thanks again for the good help.

I think you may have a couple of problems. I would add a bottle of regular yellow "heet", then take it out for a nice long cruise in the rain. The moisture in the air will help break the carbon out of the cylinders and stop the pinging. The Heet will get rid of any moisture in the tank. The other additives you put in the tank may have dissolved some or all of the water in the tank and passed it through the filter causing the white smoke you described. I usually run a bottle or two of Heet through mine each year. Cheap insurance.

Won't fix the smell, but how 'bout a screen on your intake?
On my RT, I have this, plus another one on the forward end of the forward snorkel.

Attachments

• Snorkel Intake rear.jpg
    Snorkel Intake rear.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 60
Good thoughts. The screen is a great idea. I have been tied up at work and still haven't had a chance to get the bike out since cleaning the seeds out. I'll update as soon as I can get out. Thanks for the help.

Forgive me if I missed it.
Have we eliminated the clutch slipping and burning off oil contamination?
I know that would be "blue" smoke but in the mirrors at speed it might be pretty close to white?

Are you missing any oil, paddlermikem?

Back