• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

michelin tires 2011 R1200RT

galaxie

I have a 2011 R1200rt needs tires,thinking about Michelin pilot road 3,how many miles are people getting on these tires,

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience with PRII vs. PRIII is that the PRII last a bit longer and handle very well. I'd save some cash and get the PRII.

Mileage is a non question. I burnt out my PRIII and PRII in about 2700 miles, but I ride extremely aggressively and wear out the front sides of the tire while the center still has tread. But more normal riding will result in longer life.

6 to 7 thousand miles on my R or my RT. PRlll ride better but are not going to last as long.
I have PRlll on my Versys too. They are good tires.

The original Metzler Z8 lasted 6500 rear 7000 front. They felt good to the end. No wear bars or tread in the center. Its hard to tell when its done until secondary rubber shows on the rear.

David

There are a lot of variables in tire wear. I have a 2005 RT and last summer I put a new Michelin PR 11 (class B) on the rear, and had a Michelin PR11 on the front which had about 4000km (about 2500 miles) on it when I left for a trip across Canada and US. I replaced the front tire on the trip which had about 16000km on it at the time, and the rear now has over 17000km (over 10000 miles) on it, and when I measure the thread depth, it only appears to be a little less than half worn. I was amazed with this mileage. I run 36lbs air in the front and 42lbs of air in the rear.
Also if buying a Michelin PR11 or PR3, be aware, there are two versions of the rear tire in both the PR11 and PR3. As noted, there is a class B version, which costs about $15 more, but has a different rubber in the center, made for loaded up touring.

PR3 for me. The PR2's cupped out and howl after about 4000 miles. The 3 is a much better tire.

I just mounted my second set at 10k miles. I could have gotten another 1000 easily but I'm heading to the RA rally and it will be a 2300 mile trip. Nothing like new sneakers.

Galaxie, if you are replacing the original Bridgestones that came standard on many 2011 RTs, either Michelin model will be a huge improvement. I swapped for the PR3s and have been very happy.

pete

Pilot 3s all day long. I commuted all winter in some crazy wind and rain and the Pilot 3s are amazing for it. Currently I have about 6k on them and they have a lot of life left. I generally don't ride very aggressively on my RT, but my cruising speed is up there around 80mph on the freeway.

Long-lasting tire

I replaced my Michelin PR3 tires after 11,600 miles and they had 3/32 inch tread on front and rear. I could have easily surpassed 12,000 miles so I'm happy. On a trip from D.C. to Seattle and back, I consumed 2/32 on the front and 3/32 on the rear. Is that mileage good enough for you? :D

I ride solo and generally run the tires at 36 front and 40 rear. I love how they stick on wet pavement and handle so well. I also trust Michelin because they did right by me when I had their tires on my Gold Wing.

SO just got 12K on a PR3 vs 6-7K on previous PR2's on her R1100S.

At least for her, its clear the 3s last a good del longer and they are a far superior tire to the 2. No odd tread wear noises, etc..

If you kill stuff fast by really hard riding won't matter but for most the 3 is better deal

Tire mileage should be last on the list of things considered when evaluating a motorcycle tire. Think first about cornering performance, wet traction, etc. You know, safety.

It's so good that Dunlop no longer offers the 491, as that tire was an accident waiting to happen. Little bit of moisture and you're down. At least on BMW Airheads. But, they lasted a really long time.

In any event yes there are "variables."

Metzeler rep recently spoke at a presentation organized by our dealer. His recommendation: look on sidewall of tire and find maximum permitted inflation pressure. Run your tires at this figure ALL THE TIME. This will maximize your tire life. So, to minimize "variables" when comparing tires, do this. That is, if mileage is all there is.

Tire mileage should be last on the list of things considered when evaluating a motorcycle tire. Think first about cornering performance, wet traction, etc. You know, safety.

It's so good that Dunlop no longer offers the 491, as that tire was an accident waiting to happen. Little bit of moisture and you're down. At least on BMW Airheads. But, they lasted a really long time.

In any event yes there are "variables."

Metzeler rep recently spoke at a presentation organized by our dealer. His recommendation: look on sidewall of tire and find maximum permitted inflation pressure. Run your tires at this figure ALL THE TIME. This will maximize your tire life. So, to minimize "variables" when comparing tires, do this. That is, if mileage is all there is.

of course, it so happens that the PR3s are, from all reports, also a great handling tire. That they combine that with outstanding tire life is not a bad thing at all.

Metzler Z8 and prIII

my original Metzler Z8 lasted 1000 miles then a nail. I got a PRIII to replace it. It lasted 7000 miles, then i got a nail. They still had a lot of thread on them. I have had not luck with tires this last year.

I put PR3 on my 2012 R1200R front and rear. 5,000 miles later I need to go on a 2,000 mile trip. The rear is not going to make it so I ordered a PR2 last night. I will put it on before leaving for the trip and see how many miles compared to the PR3.

I ran factory pressure 42 psi for a while (2,000 miles) then went down to 39 for handling reasons.

Only time will tell.

I only ride solo sometimes with 100 lbs of stuff including saddle bags.

PR3 is great on the front.

I like twisting the throttle, this is probably where the tire went :wave

David

I am running my first set of PR3's and I love them. I went through 2 sets of the Z8's an like them too but as others had said, you know when they are done after you have ridden them and shouldn't have.

Other than that ...... this topic is a "thread" and the discussion on tire wear involves "tread". :thumb

I can't say for sure how long they will last for you, but I put P3's on my 2012 RT a little over 1000 miles ago and I'm a believer!

The ride and handling makes me smile every time out. These really are terrific tires. You won't be disappointed.

Just put my second set of PR3s on my RT. Got 12,000 miles front and rear from the last set and wholeheartedly recommend them for a good balance of dry handling, wet handling and long wear for the price.

Pr3-b

Just put my second set of PR3s on my RT. Got 12,000 miles front and rear from the last set and wholeheartedly recommend them for a good balance of dry handling, wet handling and long wear for the price.

what is the difference in the PR3 and the PR3-B,

Back