• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Classic 1977 R100RS With New Technology Conti Radial Tires

ghlubik

Dear Fellow Classic BMW Twin Riders,

Recently put a set of the new technology Conti Classic Attack Radial Tires on my early model 1977 R100RS.

Tires are made to work on old classic motorcycles that were originally designed for biased tires, first found out about them back in fall 2012. Only became really available very recently.

Bought a Continental Conti Classic Attack - Size: 100/90-19 - Front and Size: 120/90R18 - Rear.

They also have a Size: 110/90R18 - Rear.

Mounted them on Lester Wheels, the rear one being the extra wide 3" rim.

These are more than just a new set of tires, for me, it is best described as a whole new riding experience.

Took it easy for first 100 miles letting the tires break in, but could already feel the difference even at moderate speed in the turns.

Once scuffed in, began to really test them in the curves at the highest speeds am still willing to risk. Have found the handling improvement to be no less than extraordinary.

Never has my old machine felt so secure and well planted at those hard lean angles, the feeling, (feedback), am getting is far different than usual. Feels more like the R1100RS's and R1100S I had for a while. Am not saying this 36 year old machine is now able to stay with a 1999 R1100S, but that "feeling/sense" is there of real control. There is some logic in that, since those bikes all had radial tires also.

Can run through those same turns at same speeds with my other tires, such as the GT-501's & Pirelli Demons, but I have to scare myself through with them at those speeds. By contrast, am almost in a state of relaxation using these new Conti Radials.

This RS is an early 40/40 70hp version and I have never felt underpowered. Machine could go through anything as fast as I could run it and still stand the pressure of my heart beating against my teeth. Now have actually thought, "gosh, if I had more power, could roll out of this turn at a bit faster speed", that is a new one for me. Am tempering it with common sense, knowing that between the revenue seeking law enforcement, suicidal whitetails, unknown road hazards, and the " man, I should have known better than to try thats", it is best to keep speeds somewhat reasonable.

The road surface irregularities, bumps, etc. are also much more smoothed out. Have been going out of my way to hit them in the straights and through curves, just to see if I can get the front end to twitch a bit, but it has held solid, (so far anyway).

Have also found the machine stops faster, can lay into the brakes harder without tires breaking loose. Have not tested braking in the hard rain yet, that is a major test left to do.

Mileage life is unknown only have about 400 miles on them so far.

Only complaint I can come up with so far is it seems am getting blown around more in the strong crosswinds, (bike is being moved around more easily), but I may just be misreading that, would have to ride against some other tires to be certain.

Am sure not all riders will like these Conti Radials, individual perceptions being what they are, but think most riders would sure feel the improvements.

In past 10-15 years have tried a lot of the newer tires, Metzeler ME-88's, Lazertechs, Macadams, Dunlop GT-501's, Pirelli MT68 / 69's, Pirelli Sport Demons, Avon Roadriders, Bridgestone S-11's, (great handling long distance tire very reminicent of the ME-88's).

For me none of these other tires ever came close to what these radials are like though.

If anyone else has tried the new Conti's, would like to hear your impressions of them, especially if you got in on them early and have some idea as to what kind of total mileage that can be expected. Want to do a ride out West with them.

Safe Riding To You All.............................George

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
I'd think the radials would require higher inflation pressures than bias tires.

There has been, BTW, ZERO technology change in bias tires that would suggest higher pressures than BMW original specifications despite what some would fantasize. Radial construction is a true technology change and, again, suggests higher pressures.

Good timing -- the R90S needs new shoes and I have been wondering what would provide the best handling. Apples and oranges probably, but my 650 Hawk specified bias ply tire and worked insanely well on radials.

Interesting tire report!
To save a search, what is your source for these tires?
Nick Kennedy

Hello Nick,

You certainly have some great roads to try these tires out on out there in Col.

Bought my first set from

http://www.bikebandit.com/conti-classic-attack-motorcycle-tire

Was $301.00 with the free shipping and received them quickly.

Bought a second set for another old RS from

http://www.motorcycletiresmaniac.com/conti-classic-attack-motorcycle-tires.html

Were about $40 less a pair, took about 10 days to actually get them, (doubt they keep them in stock, just order as needed), but that is quite a saving!

Have also found them at motorcycle superstore and on amazon from a few sellers. Most are priced way less than the actual retail of around $185

Have not installed the second pair yet as am still doing some "testing".

On the tube question, yes, if you do not have a tubless type wheel, than you will need the tubes. Recently found out about a new tube from Sedona, it is a combo of Butyl and natural rubber so should be safer than straight butyl, has anyone tried them yet? Found them on bikebandit website.

Got to do some rain ridin' the other night in a wall of water thunderstorm, tires held really well. Took the time to do some panic stopping, and they worked great.

Safe Ridin'....................................George

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a set of these new Classic Attacks for my newly acquired R75/7. Anyone have a preference on tubes to go with them, and it seems like I should replace the rim strip/tape while I'm at it, right?

Thx for the review. A buddy of mine has been wearing me out about these tires. Had I heard, read, seen any reviews on them. None of consequence till now. They look to be a well designed modern tire for older style bikes. About time.

I've got about 2500 miles on my set of these radials. The first thing i noticed before even putting them on the bike was just how stiff the side walls and tread were compared to my old avon road riders. I have a 1982 R100RT. I put the 110/90-18 on the rear. Regarding one of the previous comments about being blown around more by the wind, I thought the same thing. Then it hit me that what i was feeling was a high speed weave (the rubber cow returns) at around 70 mph, the faster i go the worse it gets. I have a top box and bags on the bike and i'm a light (145 lb) person. Snowbum has a lot to say about this phenomena and all of the things i just mentioned don't help the condition. Funny though that i only noticed this after putting on the conti classic attacks (25000 miles on bias plys with the same bike). Going back to my first impression of these tires, the part about them being stiff, all i can think of is that the added stiffness, or rather lack of compliancy, tends to change the dynamics of the bike and the weave appeared.

There was another posting about this same thing with these same tires. Coincidence?

I have about 3,000 miles on the Conti Attack tires and love them. I too feel that they are a little less stable in crosswinds but overall they are the best tires I have had on my 78 RS. They stick like glue in the twisties and they give the feel of being very nimble. High speed stability is excellent and I did not feel any weave except with stronger than normal crosswind even at 90+ mph loaded up with gear. I recently went on a 2,000 mile ride loaded up and felt they were as good as anything I have had on the bike. I did find that I had to experiment with tire pressure to get the feel I wanted and ended up with 32-34 front and 35-37 rear. Also I have noticed tire wear to be unusual as the center seems to be quite even and the side of the tires having uneven wear but I would attribute this to having and different rubber compound for straight line and cornering considerations. At this point it appears that I should be able to get better milage than the Lazertec I have previously had on the bike. I am sure I will have several more sets of these tires on the RS for years to come.

I have a top box and bags on the bike ...

BMW did not approve fitting a top box on Airheads until the frame/suspension change for 1985. That's also when they made one available. This stuff is tested by BMW. Your problems are no surprise.

Nice to hear. Just replaced my Metzlers with BattlAx BT45 bias ply both ends. Find them a noticeable enhancement over Metzlers. Conti Attacks were out but not readily available. Next time Contis?

Just an opinion:

I like to keep the original sizing required by the older bikes (i.e. 4.00 x 18 rear) so I went with the Michelins "Pilot Activ's" and am very satisfied with performance and I also am able to keep the original geometry designed.

The better way to go Jimmylee.

Plus, it's my opinion that we should support those that support Airheads, and those are the ones that still offer tires in original sizes.

Back