• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorcycle gps

Rpbump

Rpbump USN RET CPO
When scanning a RIDER magazine I came across an ad for a waterproof GPS with accessories (mounts, power cable, blue tooth helmet control with speaker, and PC interface cable). The total cost was $199 including shipping if ordered via internet. Go to www.teletype.com for more information. I just received my unit and feel that it is a bargain for riders. I will still use maps for trip planning/research and carry a Michelin Road Atlas with me when traveling but appreciate the ability to find food, gas, and a place to sleep and the touch of a finger. :clap :dance

RIDE SAFE

I'll be interested in the long term use of the Teletype unit.

This has been available for a while now, and prior reviews of it always seemed to include "For the price.." qualifiers. The $199 ones appear to be refurbished units.. I didn't see anyplace on their website to buy a brand new one. (New ones are listed at $499, and on "Indefinite Backorder" which leads me to believe this is a discontinued product.) Warranty seems a bit short, but you can buy warranty extensions apparently. The software running it can be updated for free for a limited period (3 months I think), all maps updates will require paying a fee. If it is discontinued I'd be a bit concerned about future support for the unit.

In looking at the owners manual that is on line (http://teletype.com/pages/support/Documentation/WNSoftwareManual.pdf) - there are a lot of references to it's use in trucks, which I believe is Teletypes primary market. There were no real motorcycle references that I saw. It does appear to be able to import GPX files and create routes from them, but I didn't see any ability to import "Points of Interest" - or "Proximity Points", which I find very useful on a Garmin GPS.

POI's are specific points, which can be in categories, and will appear on the map as you near them, or they can be used for routing and searched for. Things like a listing of all BMW dealers in the US are usually a "POI" file. Proximity Points are similar, but they allow you to specify a message (and tone) to appear when you are within a set proximity to them. These are used by speed-trap and red-light-camera warning points databases, also available as downloadable data files that can be imported into some GPSs (Garmin for instance.)

Teletype does list a process where you can pre-create routes using Garmin maps, and a website that converts the Garmin route to GPX (using coordinate data) points which can then be used to create a route on the Teletype. Otherwise you are limited to creating routes using only the GPS (which can also be done on GPSs like the Garmin Zumo, but I find the process fairly tedious and annoying..) There appears to be no PC based mapping/transfer software for the unit. It was also unclear if it could handle other features such as MP3 playback (it appeared not from the manual.)

Anyway - please update the thread as you use it more. Certainly competition breeds a better product and lower cost, so it will be great to see how it works out for you.

Have to add - In looking at the specifications it does list various media types as being supported, but I didn't see in the instructions how to use or access them. Perhaps I missed it, or it's so obvious no instructions are needed.

The spec's also list the Bluetooth as working with the provided headset (which I assume mounts to the helmet and has a speaker to mount inside the helmet.) Wonder if it can connect to something like a Cardo system or Schuberth SRC system?

CS76 here;

An older Garmin I transferred to my GSA from my sailboat years ago and its still made. I have no upgrades in mine added for years now. CS76 is a tiny GPS by all I see today on bikes. My Son just got the latest BMW GPS system on his brand new F800GS. ITS a GRAND(950$+)!!! Wow, so what makes this worth so much??? I have interest, but never will use all the data one gives or does. Still carry my maps, always will and like my simple CS76 to just give me my present locale and basic feel for direction. Gas, food and camps, motels would be cool to have and the latest NAmerica roads and cities. Just not sure the max prices BMW gets is something I could ever shell out the bucks for. Many many options out there and I would like to know more too. WHAT can ya get for half that BMW price above or less, motorcycle friendly:). Randy

Back