• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How to repair scratches and gouges on hard bags?

I could really use some advice on how to repair minor damage (as in tip over) scratches and gouges to BMW hard bags? Mine went over at a standstill while making a uphill right hand turn into a driveway, and not paying enough attention. Boy, does that happen fast. The wheel cocks, and it just starts to go. No stopping it. I feel bad, I love this bike. Is the black color all the way through the bags? That would be helpful so that I didn't unintentionally make the damage worse by sanding through a surface coat and end up with some grey color splotches. I was thinking of trying to so some fine filing/ sanding on the bags then try to airbrush a flat or semi-gloss black paint onto the repair. Does that sound like it would work? What have others done for this situation? Is there a special paint, or spray that will help here? Thanks, everyone.

I have used auto body spotting putty and rubber bumper paint to fill deep scratches. Spotting putty and truck bed liner also works very well. I've used both.

I had mine come off at about 70 mph and they got a bit scuffed up.
My self esteem took a much bigger hit, as it was because I had left both of them unlocked! At least they were empty.
Anyway, I used 150 and 220 grit sandpaper and a random orbit sander to take out the scratches/gouges. Then some Scotch-brite to finish it off.
Surprisingly good results. With an application of Vinylex, it's hardly noticeable.

right along with this thread, what can I use to clean my side cases?

They got some stains of some sort on them and it looks oily.

saddlebags et al

I had a 94 with the saddlebags matching the "Pimp White" (aka pearl silver) body color. One of the bags got scratched up and when I spoke to my friend who owns a body shop he told me that the cost of the paint was astronomical. After thinking it over I decided to snoop in an auto parts store where I came upon a display with rubberized white/grey/black spackle (sp?) trunk paint. Took the lids off and sanded them up enough to rough up the surface then shot both lids with the stuff. I was surprised at the number of compliments I received as well as how good they looked. Additionally if I scratched one of them all I had to do was wash and dry the surface and grab the can of paint to fill up the scratch. Might be worth a try.

As for cleaning, carwash soap works well assuming there is no oil on them.

Regards,

Will

I have fixed more than one bag with nasty scratches. I start with about 220 grit wet dry sand paper and work my way up to 1500 to 2000 grit using lots of water and clean sand paper.. I then coat it with Pig Snot, they look almost new. Just did it again on the bags on a new to me R1200R that came with scratchs on both bags from a number of get offs. They came out great.

Back