Thread: Battery Relocation Project

Battery Relocation Project

I have a ‘«÷02 R1150R without ABS. This leaves a nice piece of empty real estate forward of the battery. Others have relocated their charcoal canisters there. I have used it as a sort of safety deposit box to store things I want along on trip incase‘«™ I have started thinking trough a project for this winter of relocating the battery in some way. I have thought about a couple options to the project.

1. Leave the battery in its transverse attitude, make the necessary modifications and simply move it forward. This would make access to the empty space much easier.
    2. Changing the orientation of the battery to a longitudinal orientation. This would give easier access, storage for long low use items, and split the space in two, which might have advantages.
    3. As the lure of electric gadgets grows. What about increasing the battery size and power to accommodate these toys?

Has anyone attempted a similar project? As always I look forward to comments.

I also have an 02r w/o abs ..I've used about 1/2 the space for relays ,self reseting curcuit breakers & wiring..
    when i added a high output headlight it got wired straight to B+ with relays for high & low beam w/20a cb
    same for the driving lights..
    also replaced the scooter horn w/2real horns,once again w/relay & cb.
    I thought about stashing some stuff spare bulbs etc. in the remaining space but it's such a pain to access..I lost the evap can was thinking of making a bulb stash out of black abs plumbing to go there ,I'm still a thunkin though!!!

BUBBAZANETTI
    here's something INTERESTING

not sure if that's gonna work for your R, but its a pretty neat idea

gadgetboy
    If you do it, keep us posted, i'm interested to see the results.

I have considered expanding the fuel as the link showed but have decided not to. I do long rides but fuel load is not an issue for this bike that I would spend the money on. The link was very interesting, however.

I doing short trips this summer, and am trying to decide what I would store in that area. Tools and documents are at the heat of the pack.

I will be doing it this winter and will let you know the results.

My GS "sport" is ABS-less. I refused to buy a BMW with the power jammer brakes.

So far, I've used the extra space for a Gorilla alarm. With both alarm and battery under the tank, it's not easy to disable.

However, I've noticed the lack of clearance between tank and battery at the rear. It was tricky getting some inline fuses wired around the battery, for instance.

I think one of next winter's projects will be to move the battery forward, and place the alarm behind it, along with a Centech fuse panel. That would allow a cleaner installation, and additional hot feeds to relays for better horns, more lights, etc.

thanks for the idea.

pmdave