• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Avg Cost of 12000 mile service on '08 GSA

adventurexpress

Would a few of you guys that have had the 12k service performed at a dealer let me know what to expect... please.
Cost that is. Going to make an appt. and ask for estimate...but what like to know if they are high or reasonable.
Going to BMW Motorcycles of Charlotte.

thx
k

California price;

I have '07GSA, so a slight difference but not much. You have twin cam, about only difference. These rarely need any valve adjust, but it still gets checked in service. The service runs around 400-500$ and this varies around the USA. Could be slightly higher with a valve adjust needed. I have heard as much as 600$ for this service. BMW shops have flat rate system and can tell ya almost exactly the costs involved. The only extra work is in the valve adjust, if any bucket shims have to be replaced. Its really a very simple service I do myself, have done so a very long time. You should be looking at; ALL oils changed(motor, tranny and FD), spline lube on FD shaft, valve check and adjust, computer diagnosis(BMW only has this) and not required IF your bike has no faults, air filter check and clean, TB synch look see, Brake and clutch slave reservoir checks, general look see the whole bike for misc. wear and that's about it. Find a mentor and learn, its really cool to learn the bike well. Not for everybody, I know. Just think on it:). Randy

MIS spoke:

Sorry, see yours is '08, no bucket shims, as you have same as mine. Tappets for valves adjusting. I like my tappets, simpler to adjust and almost never have needed in in my current 98000m GSA1200'07. Good luck. Don't forget the infamous wiggle the rear wheel in place(on bike), for PLAY side to side, top to bottom!!! Should be NO PLAY there. If your feel any, have a dealer look see soon for replacing the FD bearing:). Too many BMWs have this phenom happen thru a dozen years now. Good luck, Randy

Back