• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ticking sound, right cylinder

Gpr100rs

After warm up on my '77 r100, there is a consistent light ticking sound from the right cylinder. Only 18k miles on it and it was completely gone through last year by cert mechanic. Any thoughts?

What does "completely gone through" mean? Can you say what he did? Did he use a mechanics stethoscope to isolate the exact location of the sound?

My first thoughts would be: valve clearances, rocker arm up/down movement, head gasket installed backwards.

Same bike;

R100'78 here too and its most probably the tappets slightly looser on that one side. NO big deal, as one mentioned already. Its good to hear this. An easy check, however with valve cover off:). Randy

Loud valves are happy valves:)

You should check the other side!

I recently acquired a 1994 R100R that was in storage for 7 years. When I heard it run the left cylinder was ticking nicely, but the right was fairly quiet. Checking both cylinders clearance I found the left intake spot on and the exhaust a little tight. The right cylinder, the quiet one, was tight on the exhaust but the intake had almost zero clearance. :eek After adjustment both sides are now ticking like a Swiss watch.

Tappy is Happy! :clap

Back