• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

173 mph: that's about when I jump off a motorcycle

roborider

God? What god?
This news about Marc Marquez at practice at Mugello:

"According to reports, Honda's Marc Marquez lost control of his bike while doing 198 mph on the long straight at Mugello, ultimately jumping off his bike at 173 mph to avoid hitting a wall. Fortunately, it appears that Marquez is not seriously injured. He has a swollen chin and strained neck in addition to some bruising. He and his team will likely make a decision tomorrow whether he will race on Sunday. "

Jumped off his bike at 173 mph. Holy s$!t, I can't imagine such craziness! I usually don't jump off my bike once I'm over 100!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motogp/22733560

Last edited:
Well, I know I bounced and slid a lot better 45 or 50 years ago than I do now- but that kind of speed for any get off is well into the danger zone. I give him lots of props for making the unpleasant but safer choice- you always lose hitting a solid object......One of the things we used to teach newbs in cages is never give up in the face of an impending crunch- intelligent action can always reduce risk and tilt the odds more your way right up until you stop moving....

Hope he makes the race- his riding is entertaining....

Usually at somewhere around 110 mph I pull back the stick and fly off into the sunset. 175 is about the cruise speed of the Beech Baron I used to fly quite a bit, and I never thought about jumping off so long as the wings were still attached :thumb

he should have just 'laid er down' :laugh

I had that conversation with a HD rider about 4 days ago. His bike was in the shop getting repaired from the laydown. It was all I could do to avoid the instructor lecture about doing that being really dumb. He was adamant that he was standing on the rear brake and it would not stop. Never touched the front so he would not go over the bars. My tongue still hurts from biting it.

Well, I believe he made the right decision if his only other choice was to stay with the bike and strike the wall at around 170 MPH.

it appears that Marquez is not seriously injured. He has a swollen chin and strained neck in addition to some bruising.

Just needs an ATGATT adjustment.

Iron+Man+markvi+armour.jpg

Back