• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

OK, Lying in wait?

Garden Bay,BC;

I've been in BC Coastal region only a few times. Is that inland lakes or coastal town? Ive been absent 5 years in Canada, its my GSA1200 and my turn again. This bike has never been North of border. Love those border patrol guys, always ask me how much money Im going to spend while in Canada? Who knows, I usually say:). Never been inspected for how much cash I may carry, lol. Anyhow, the question and answer sessions at border crossings are sometimes laughable, keeping it inside of course. Don't want to laugh at any questions:). I have passed all my crossings, usually very quick. Passports nowadays are the norm and mine still not used since I got it about 5 years ago. My first Passport stamp WILL be Canada, I want them to stamp it:). Salem Rally is close enough to Canada, I imagine MANY will be crossing USA/Canada border on BMWs this year. For those wishing to see Canada from the South, VICTORIA is a hot spot for the tourist, as much of BC. Vancouver Island is too cool to miss. A DAY RIDE from Salem if you get with it. Trouble is Washington is in middle of you(Salem) and Canada and too much to see there too!!! The crossing at Port Angeles to Victoria is a favorite, COHO Ferry. I forgot fare. Its worth it! About a two hour ride across on water. Don't forget the Empress Hotel and HIGH TEA:). Randy

NOT alone here:(

I'm a talker BUT want much help here, "OK,Lying in wait" stuff going on out there! SALEM and our NW has got to be a top 10 area for anybody to visit, so share your pre trip trials and tribs... You must have some stuff going on:). I've been dwelling heavy on sidecars and my GSA convert and just have not gone the last mile on that decision yet. Looking forward to seeing some in Salem and DMC is just down/up the road in Washington, hmmmm? I know this phenom has grown in recent years and I LOOK intently:). Got the DOG already, he is just begging me to do it!!! Randy

Nashville, TN to Salem, OR the long way around

Heading out to the RA Rally in Asheville, NC in the morning, 6/20. Then a leisurely trip to Salem for the MOA Rally. I did both rallies in 2009 including a 5 day rolling rally in between.
I'm semi-retired and there isn't a lot going on employment wise right now so I decided to take the cross country trip I've dreamed about.
Fresh service and new rear tire should get me there and back. I'm going to work my way thru the south into Dallas then up into New Mexico, Arizona and Utah. Pretty wide open from there on the way to Salem.
On the way back I'll take a more northerly route and visit family in Boulder and Cedar Rapids. Then probably down the Mississippi towards home.
Looking forward to the trip and hanging with everyone in Salem.

Our local dealer is, well - let's just say I will never again spend a penny in that shop. But 175 miles south we have Max BMW, an awesomely incredible dealer! So I took the day off, tucked Barley into the sidecar, and down we went. Today's visit was like all the others. We were greeted by name, warmly, and the rig was taken right in for service. It's a little early, as we'll turn 24k somewhere in Idaho on the way to Salem, but I feel better knowing the machine is 100%. Picked up some supplies for DIY maintenance while I was there.

It's just not possible for me to scoot down the road on that magnificent rig without feeling the tug of faraway places! Still a couple of weeks before we leave, so for now I have to resist the urge to head west and let the bike roam. Soon, though. Soon.

Great:)

Don Burns rides"Warthog"rides out of Colorado Springs. Matt rides out of N. Hampshire, BOTH on GSAs/GS Giants:). They both are in this thread above, so send them a message. I think they both entertain riding partners crossing the USA. Like to meet Barley, heard of him all these recent years and just not crossed paths. Salem maybe:). Me too, retired and too much time to prepare! I need to ride soon, or go nuts:). My GSA1200 is prepped and ready, with its 12 gallons gas for the very remote Pruedoe Bay after rally. Salem should be better than average rally, not so hot. I did the dual rallies, RA/MOA when the Johnson City MOA and Canaan Valley RA took place. Happy Trails to ya, Randy. PS; WHEN is that RA this year and its Ashville again? Guess I could come there this year too, with some last minute planning here.

Randy, the RA rally is in Asheville on the Biltmore grounds. Begins tomorrow so probably out of your reach this year.

See that!

I've been healing anyhow, shoulder rebuild recently. Am riding again, looking for places to ride before Salem. 3 to 4 week gap between these rallies this year, kind a hard to kill that much time between the two. I ride Grand Canyon tomorrow or next day out of here, just need a bike ride:). Randy

Back