• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Vario top box falls off during ride w/ passenger. DANGEROUS!!!! 2005 R1200GS

STANTONBARBAS

Seriously scared myself here. I have a 2005 R12GS with the BMW Vario panniers and top box. The top box locks on to the mount, and while seems sturdy, CAN and WILL fall off when a passenger is using it as a back rest (the padding encourages this). The problem here is when force is applied to the bottom of the case backwards, like my sisters lower back during acceleration, will knock the case off the bike. Overriding the safety lock, and falling out onto the highway going 60mph is terrifying. and even more so when my passenger could go with it.

I tested it when i got home. A surprisingly light knock to the lower portion of the case will send it knocking backwards and off the bike. I made sure it is properly attached, and it really is an issue that needs to be highlighted. I am not sure what to do here. Should i see if BMW has had some sort of recall? Should i contact them? Should i jerry-rig the box on somehow so it wont fall off? While it will not detach while riding solo, i no longer trust it, and until further notice, it is KIA.

Have any of you had this issue? Can you replicate the defect on your bike? I am in a pickle right now, because i planned on using the top box on my trip to the mountains come July. Any and all thoughts/help is really appreciated here.

And seriously, test this out yourself if you use the Vario system. This could in all actuality be a *fatal* flaw in the system, if this isn't an issue with my box alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Testing is one thing, inspecting for damage, wear, etc., another. Should verify you did that as well.

On a design that's existed for 8 years or so, ought to be some other reports if there's a problem.

Seriously scared myself here. I have a 2005 R12GS with the BMW Vario panniers and top box. The top box locks on to the mount, and while seems sturdy, CAN and WILL fall off when a passenger is using it as a back rest (the padding encourages this). The problem here is when force is applied to the bottom of the case backwards, like my sisters lower back during acceleration, will knock the case off the bike. Overriding the safety lock, and falling out onto the highway going 60mph is terrifying. and even more so when my passenger could go with it.

I tested it when i got home. A surprisingly light knock to the lower portion of the case will send it knocking backwards and off the bike. I made sure it is properly attached, and it really is an issue that needs to be highlighted. I am not sure what to do here. Should i see if BMW has had some sort of recall? Should i contact them? Should i jerry-rig the box on somehow so it wont fall off? While it will not detach while riding solo, i no longer trust it, and until further notice, it is KIA.

Have any of you had this issue? Can you replicate the defect on your bike? I am in a pickle right now, because i planned on using the top box on my trip to the mountains come July. Any and all thoughts/help is really appreciated here.

And seriously, test this out yourself if you use the Vario system. This could in all actuality be a *fatal* flaw in the system, if this isn't an issue with my box alone.

Why wouldn't you discuss this with a BMW dealer? If you're correct you could be saving someone's life. If your wrong hopefully the dealer can point out what's wrong.

Interesting.....I have been a bit skeptical on the "fancy" attachment mechanism for the Vario cases on my F800gs. I made some nice straps for the side cases but haven't got to anything with the top box.
I'll have to take a peek. OM

Its NOT New;

Man this has been going on for all 8 or so years this box has been around. I have seen it happen to many GS bikes on trail rides! A video exists out there, one coming off a GS, flew right over the riders head as he took on a tough downhill stride on the GS. No he did not fall, the box went flying! Its a poor designed unit and been sleeping a while, nobody saying much. Glad you had no bad thing happen other than the fright of it. I remember DECADES ago, the side cases on the 70s slash bikes lost their bags frequently, I still have mine. NOT really a NEW item from BMW, losing bags, trunks. An ugly revisited topic, many of us remember from way past and now a reminder it still exists!. Randy

Interesting.....I have been a bit skeptical on the "fancy" attachment mechanism for the Vario cases on my F800gs. I made some nice straps for the side cases but haven't got to anything with the top box.
I'll have to take a peek. OM
I just took a peek at mine and it has the pin from the factory :dance One less thing to think about. Good helpful topic to bring up. The link from OilBurner was a great help :thumb
OM

There was a recall on the Top Box. I had mine replace for free

My top box used to fall off also. I inspected the bottom of the box and I could see a small crack in the plastic tab holding in the locking device. If the bottom of you box's locking device is all plastic then you have the old style model. I told the dealer that I wanted a new case and I got one from BMW.

If I remember correctly there was a defect in the mounting plate for the top box and they were replaced under warranty. I know that they did a retrofit on the bottom of my top box. They mounted a steel plate over the cracked plastic. That failed after a while so I "encouraged" them to give me the new version of the top box and have not have any problems since.

The defect code on my repair order was # 7160000100 for either the mounting plate or the top box.

Dear Stanton (?)

I've added year/model to your thread title (per: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?46055) since this info is valuable to other owners of early GS's where this condition may exist. Please add this yourself in future posts to the tech forums, it helps you get knowledgeable eyes to open the thread, and it may help others searching for this info in the future.

Back