• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

June ON

My motorcycle policy specifically states that my trailer is covered for up to $5000. My Bushtec has a 360 degree rotating hitch & 16" rims. The author of this article is an idiot. The fact that ON printed this article makes me want to quit the BMWMOA.

If I am carrying too much stuff to put in the side and large top cases, I drive the X5-3.5d. Better load capacity, air conditioning, great stereo, great mileage, around 500 mile range, and I can stuff the RT on a trailer and carry it too. :)

Same setup

My motorcycle policy specifically states that my trailer is covered for up to $5000. My Bushtec has a 360 degree rotating hitch & 16" rims. The author of this article is an idiot. The fact that ON printed this article makes me want to quit the BMWMOA.

That is the same set up that my buddy Tony has. I read the article and immediately wanted to beat the author over the head with an air pump. ON must be desperate for articles. This article is crap.

The fact that ON printed this article makes me want to quit the BMWMOA.

Seriously?

The article may have no value to you however I'd hazard a guess that there may be other things within this fraternity of riders which can be of benefit to you. Not that I'd try to change your mind...

I also tow a Bushtec Trailer and have for over 300,000 miles doing so.

My 1977 R100RS is insured for $6000 and the trailer for $6000.

Without any name calling I also disagree.

Very BIASED:)

Writing the trailer article is very interesting, but from a guy with no experience? I actually respect my fellow riders opinions and this certainly has a topic at hand, everyone should read. We all have been with riders towing, or certainly at rallies seeing them. Its become a VERY popular add on for 2ups and even solo's riding and camping. I TOWED my own homebuilt trailer(cargo) 35000m all over NAmerica and want to add here!!! Brakes ARE made now for MC trailers, left out I think in article? Not cargo rigs, but camper rigs I have seen the brakes myself on heavier camper rigs. I see very little difference in solo wheel vs two wheels on trailer! The width of 2 wheels is still quite narrow and easily handled. The independent susp., torsion types are very good and handle extremely well hitting road debris/holes and bike rarely ever feels it:). AND last in my experience in weight distribution and max gross! Even bikers with no trailer load their bikes WAY past its ability to carry. Trailers are great to do more weight, BUT must have a max weight to bike ratio thing going on indeed. You put a 500lb trailer behind a 600lb motorcycle and you're digging your grave.....My KLT1200 at 800 lbs and my trailer never exceeded 300lbs, as I saw it safe this way. Every bike trailer rig MUST have this theory in the mind of its owner, or you live a much abbreviated life, imo....I DID have one emergency stop with 2up KLT1200 and my trailer on the way to Wisconsin, West Bend Rally. The KLT stopped the entire rig in fine fashion, but scared the crap out of me and wife as we grabbed ALL the brakes ability on that bike that day. A very close lesson we learned stopping with weight pushing from behind at 60mph. We lived and nothing damaged or injured, but WOW. IF you've ever done this, you KNOW exactly where I come from. WATCH your ratio weight to bike phenom, as a lighter trailer is better. Loading is SOOOOO important, as our rig that day was loaded correct, we felt so anyways. No wiggle, so front to rear loading was correct. WE GOT INTO trouble with side to side loading in our emergency stop in Wisconsin. THE trailer started to "SLIDE PAST US", as all the KLTs brakes were applied. We got stopped fine, no crash but wife was screaming, the trailer is not staying behind us!!!!!! Now you think this is a quick reminder to quit for the day, you bet we did. It had been a long day already and we were not fresh. I got into trouble, lived to tell story. Weight dist. is critical, side to side, front to back. MY trailer had been loaded to heavy one side and caused my slide. Its my only answer I could figure. I love trailers still and they are cool. I do not tow this day with my current GSA1200. Still have trailer though:). Randy

If I need trailer I am taking too much stuff or the wrong vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm lucky enough to have a wife who loves to ride two up and loves to camp. It is definitely a challenge to pack for more than a couple of days. Packing for one is a breeze.

If I need trailer I am taking too much stuff or the wrong vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no other vehicles than motorcycles. When I need groceries, house or my shop supplies I use my Bushtec Trailer. :)

I'm lucky enough to have a wife who loves to ride two up and loves to camp. It is definitely a challenge to pack for more than a couple of days. Packing for one is a breeze.

I've heard some people buy clothes along the way and ship dirty stuff home or ship clothes to places they will be.

I have no other vehicles than motorcycles. When I need groceries, house or my shop supplies I use my Bushtec Trailer. :)

I use the bike for almost all of my commuting, but we have Suburban for the big stuff and a Passat for the not so big.

Truth as a defense

Careful there, I received an infraction once for stating someone was an idiot on this forum. Maybe you have more stroke than me though. :)

Truth is a legal defense for a slander charge.

I don't think the author is an idiot; but I do think the person who approved the article for publication might need a refresher or two on what constitutes knowledge.

The author of the article is simply someone who is trying to sound smart in an area in which he has ZERO experience. The article is an example of how miserably he failed.

I do not want to get into this discussion, yet did not know where else to post this nor did I want to start another June ON thread.

Where is ON? I have yet to receive my print edition. That does not bother me as it normally goes into my read on the plane/Christmas New Year week reading pile. I normally scan a few pieces in the online version to keep up on the BoD, letters and read an article if it gets a great review or totally panned in forum discussions. As I post this May ON is still up on the web site.

Google and I are at odds because of reader but that is another story.

Perhaps I should have posted earlier but it is up on the web site now.

Back