• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sticky Trottle, 2009 R1200R

tinytrains

Still plays with trains.
Twice now in 3 months, I have closed the throttle only to have the bike keep going about 60 MPH on the freeway. Pull in the clutch and the engine shakes and revs to 5K until I blip the throttle again. Obviously one of the TBs is not closing all the way, but I can not get it to do it when I am looking at it.

Has anyone else had this problem with a Hex Head?

Can the stepper motor cause this, or only the TB valve?

Thanks,
Scott

I wouldn't be suspicious of the steppers since they never open that far, and if one did hang up open, the bike would be running awful (very imbalanced..) I'd be checking the routing of your cable going to the junction block (which is located in front of the airbox..) It could be anywhere between the throttle grip and the box, or it could be the box itself. Also be worth checking the plastic covers over the throttle sectors (where the cable inner part attaches to the TB..) These are there to keep stuff from getting into the groove in the sector and causing the throttle to stick, but it's possible one has been displaced and is causing binding somehow.

Scott,

Please let us know if you find the cause - it will add valuable info to the community knowledge.

Best,

Scary too:(

You have a first I've ever read on this one. How many miles on this bike too? I think I would definitely give those TDs a thorough cleaning too, couldn't hurt. Maybe even a TECHRON(half pint+) added at next fill up too. Hopefully its something real simple, solved easy. I've always wondered about those slots the cable runs thru at TB, as I ride offroad quite a bit and the dirt is always present. I have never had debris get in there, however. Good luck. Randy

I had the same problem, but on an oilhead. I can only assume that the throttle bodies work the same. On one of them the TB stop (a hardened dimple, for lack of a better word) was loose in its mount. It should have been riveted in to its flange tightly, but it was loose enough so that it would sometimes drop out of place and stick out a enough to keep the revs up. Apparently the PO could not find the problem and I suspect this is why he traded it in. I fixed it with a bit of hammering of the stop to flatten it out a bit more. I just looked at my 1200R and cannot see enough to tell if this is the same design though with the plastic cover on the TB. Good luck.

Edit, this is a R1100 so it may not be the same, but the stop at the end of the curved line that is circled.

Attachments

• TB for oilhead1.jpg
    TB for oilhead1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 81
You have a first I've ever read on this one. How many miles on this bike too? I think I would definitely give those TDs a thorough cleaning too, couldn't hurt. Maybe even a TECHRON(half pint+) added at next fill up too. Hopefully its something real simple, solved easy. I've always wondered about those slots the cable runs thru at TB, as I ride offroad quite a bit and the dirt is always present. I have never had debris get in there, however. Good luck. Randy

Techron won't do a thing. The injectors squirt into the intake right at the valves, well downstream from the throttle-body. I've had my TB's off just out of curiosity (and one to replace the left side timing chain tensioner) at about 64,000 miles, and unlike the oilhead TB's - they were amazingly clean. The throttle plates also fully close (against a step in the bore) at idle.. so I suppose a big hunk of something might hold one open, but I doubt that it would hold it open enough to change the RPM much when the idle stepper motor compensates for it.

Agreed:)

If mine was having this issue and not in warranty, Id definitely take my TBs off and give em a GOOD clean up and inspect very closely. They are easy to get off and look at. My last work on these was my R1100GS too, so no work on my current 1200GSA TBs has been required @ 97000m now. Techron may indeed be entering system outside this issue, no question about that, so good point made. Sure never hurts to add it, however. Not really needed frequently, just maybe twice a year in my case, I use Techron. Randy

One difference in R&R of the throttle bodies between your R11xx and the R1200xx's - the clamps that hold them in place are completely different. The ones on the hexhead/camhead bikes require a special tool for removal and installation. I asked the dealer to see the tool, found it's a fairly common tool and bought one on line for $14 (and some shipping charge.) Works fine and the clamps are reusable if you use the correct tool.

Someplace I posted the tool number, it's a Lisle tool, and it uses small pins coming out of the plier ends to catch the recesses in the clamps allowing them to be compressed to remove/detach, or reinstall.

One difference in R&R of the throttle bodies between your R11xx and the R1200xx's - the clamps that hold them in place are completely different.

Any idea why either conventional hose clamps or Oetikers aren't used? Is the clamping surface particularly narrow? Something else? Are the clamps themselves reusable?

Any idea why either conventional hose clamps or Oetikers aren't used? Is the clamping surface particularly narrow? Something else? Are the clamps themselves reusable?

These clamps can only clamp with a set clamping force, which I suspect is the goal of using them. Even with Oetikers - with a bit of effort you can overtighten them. And Oetikers won't open up - these do, allowing you to install the part then install the clamp and "latch" it. The clamps are definitely reusable - I'm still using the ones that came on the bike, and I've R&R'd them at least once on each clamp.

With both conventional or Oetiker clamps it IS possible to overtighten the clamp. Done right (wrong) - this can even distort what's being clamped on, ie - distort the throttle body, which could cause binding.

Thanks for the replies. I have not had time to pull the covers off, but I will look at it. It only happened twice, and sticks a just a little, just enough to keep going 50 mph and clears when I blip the throttle, so I have not been too worried about (It's not a Pryus after all :thumb). Since the engine shakes, I am certain it is only one side. I will keep you posted if I find anything.

I was curious if anyone else had the same issue.
Thanks.
Scott

Back