• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Square Route Rally anyone? This weekend..

deilenberger

A bozo on the bus
Anyone going? http://bmwbmw.org/srr

Run by BMWBMW, I've gone to at least 16 of them through the years. It's a camping/bunkhouse rally, so it's your choice if you want to sleep on the dirt. Good food, good beer, good company - usually a good speaker or two shows up, and Saturday nights entertainment ranges from great to sometimes awful (typical rally..)

Great riding area - Gettysburg is close, West Virginia makes a nice Saturday afternoon ride, and you can stop at several civil war battleground sites on your way or way back. There is good ice-cream available in Hagerstown (which always seems to have a parade on Saturday for some reason.)

Convince me I gotta go again (was just in the area riding on the way to/from Morton's Spring Fling..) :clap

Looks like a blast.

Those BMWBMW folks know how to have a good time.

Will be enjoying grandkids in Colorado otherwise............................

Square Route 2013 Report

Slighted edited from a posting to my local club:

A miracle! A first for Square Route in living memory.. It DIDN'T rain. At all. Not a drop.

Amazing. Just got home - 515 miles of smiles.. some nice riding getting there, some nice riding yesterday and great riding home. Temps were warmish (mid 90's on Friday, low 90's on Saturday, 75-93F today) - fine with the Roadcrafter opened up all the way and on a roadster. Less muscle aches is a plus. Sleeping temps were around 68-70F - perfect!

Rally food was better than prior years, and a few of the talks were really excellent. Got to hang out and ride with the New Sweden guys who still ride, and with some friends from the BMWBMW area (WDC area.) Good German beer - restricted myself to 2 a night, good stuff. Even had a comfortable bunk (they finally got some new mattresses at Camp Westmont.) Did my off-road riding for the year getting up and down the dirt/gravel/boulder road to/from the campgrounds.

Hot water was good for my shower this AM, was on the road before 8AM.

Managed to work out a route back that only involves about 40 miles of slab riding, the rest was all back roads. I think I can cut that back to around 20 miles for the next ride out there (in a few weeks for the RA Rally in Asheville.)

I've almost got my front tire to where I can justify putting the new one on.. just have to do some Fluffybutt (local club contest) rides this week (supposed to be super nice on Tueday and Weds.. you working stiff's eat your hearts out..)

BTW - as always, I took my heated gear - and for the first time in a very long time never felt the need to put it on at any point in the trip.

Darryl,

I believe you and your wonderful wife were in the couples room in our cabin (#3).. was a great time wasn't it? No rain! A first in living memory for Square Route..

We only attended the rally once back in 2006 and we stayed in our tent, sorry not us?

Sorry we missed this year, we crashed on the PA 219 on Thursday on the way.

Maybe next year.

We only attended the rally once back in 2006 and we stayed in our tent, sorry not us?

Sorry we missed this year, we crashed on the PA 219 on Thursday on the way.

Maybe next year.

Was it a serious crash and are you, Terry and the bike OK, Darryl?

Just very sore and a lot of bruises. I rode the bike home 6 hours, Terry got a ride home in a car.
The RS needs some cosmetic work.

Darryl,

Indeed sorry to hear that. The reason I thought it might be you and your wife was a couple won the longest distance riders, and they were from the Ontario region..

BTW - next time, let me send you a route that completely avoids the PA Turnpike.. it's a fairly awful road IMHO. My route is all back roads..

Darryl,

Indeed sorry to hear that. The reason I thought it might be you and your wife was a couple won the longest distance riders, and they were from the Ontario region..

BTW - next time, let me send you a route that completely avoids the PA Turnpike.. it's a fairly awful road IMHO. My route is all back roads..

We were not on the Turnpike but a curvy section of the PA 219.

We did win the longest distance 2 up in 2006.

Back