• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Worth it!

accepting limitations

My only limitation is my shallow pockets. :banghead Cost vs Value does not play. I needed my bike re-built: if it was going to get done, I was going to do it. If I was still married my s.o. would make me sell it and take her out to dinner with the proceeds.:hungover When I went to school the most valuable lesson I learned is that I can learn to do anything I want. There is a point somewhere where I will pay, but usually I come away disappointed. The last thing I want 80 miles from anyplace is wondering If the old pro's apprentice followed instructions.:banghead I am all about hiring someone to do the job if it is in the budget, but I will save my dollars for the machine shop where the toys are more expensive. If it is in your budget, take it to a pro and you will be very happy if he did a good job. Don't spend dollars needlessly. An air-head is the ultimate home mechanics eternal project. You can do it if you take your time, be neat and organized. The parts are all unique and hard to mix-up. Do one side at a time. We have the internet to get advice and instruction, (Google Chris Harris on you tube for example) the only thing holding you back is your self imposed limitations. Because you are an expert:scratch in one field does not mean you are incapable in an other.

1982 R100T (in S trim) on the road again, 1992 R100RT on the bench (for my first go round with her internals.)

hey Darryl, nice carbs, I am happy your bike is running great. I am curious what Bing might have done to increase your gas mileage. I recently rebuilt my Bings ( 1990 R 100 GSPD, 32 mm ), I had never done this before, but the bike seems to be running good. I figure I am getting about 40 mpg US, I go on reserve around 320. the carbs seemed pretty basic inside, I replaced the main jets ( 135 ) floats ( standard ) float needles , diaphragm, needle jets, and throttle cables, cleaned real good, and put it back together, I had a factory trained tech help me with the carb sync. I am running Heidanu K 60's, and I was getting 38 or so with Metzeler tourance's. ( before rebuild ) I had let my bike sit for some time, and although it ran ok, I knew it could be better, inside there were some gunky deposits. so I have seen a 1 or 2 mpg increase ( although I did go to a more aggressive tire ), was your increase more than that ? thanks

The biggest difference was because of the Independent Float Kit.

Plus redone throttle shafts, and new slides.

Back