• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Thoughts on life in Germany

jeff.ferguson

I'm strongly considering packing up the family and moving to Germany for a few years. I am a Department of Defense civilian and have an opportunity to take a position in either Stuttgart or the Ramstein area next summer. I know the riding is amazing over there, but the purpose of this thread is to get some of your thoughts on living in Germany. So for those of you who have lived there - what can you tell me? I will make more than enough in salary to cover all expenses, so money is not an issue. I am fairly familiar with the DoD schools in the area, so not too worried about that. But info on everyday life, ie rules, taxes, quirks, and pros/cons of living there would be greatly appreciated. Of course any motorcycle specific info would also be appreciated as I will be shipping my r1150r!

Thanks,
Jeff

I'm strongly considering packing up the family and moving to Germany for a few years. I am a Department of Defense civilian and have an opportunity to take a position in either Stuttgart or the Ramstein area next summer. I know the riding is amazing over there, but the purpose of this thread is to get some of your thoughts on living in Germany. So for those of you who have lived there - what can you tell me? I will make more than enough in salary to cover all expenses, so money is not an issue. I am fairly familiar with the DoD schools in the area, so not too worried about that. But info on everyday life, ie rules, taxes, quirks, and pros/cons of living there would be greatly appreciated. Of course any motorcycle specific info would also be appreciated as I will be shipping my r1150r!

Thanks,
Jeff

America is still a land of opportunity and today we call into remembrance of those that have died for this country. In addition, Mexicans and Cubans die en route in an attempt to get to our great land. And, of course you have who knows how many trying to get here from around the world. We have a statue in a harbor representing our great country. The riding here is amazing as well although perhaps not where you currently live. Many on this forum can lead the way to spectacular good 'ol USA riding. Are you sure you really want to leave America?

We spent two tours living in West Germany in the 70s and 80s. Keep that in mind when evaluating my comments. I also made over 20 short visits to Germany for meetings and exercises.

We lived in Heidleburg for a year, Mannheim for two years and Ansbach for two years.

We loved Germany and having the ability to drive or ride to many countries. Where you live will play a part in how you enjoy your stay. We liked Heidleburg and loved Ansbach in Baveria. Try to live away from the American enclaves and find a place in a small German village. While assigned in Heidleburg we lived in a small village outside the city (St. Ilgen) and loved it. In Mannheim we lived in an American housing area and were far less happy. In Ansbach we again went out to a farming village (Aurach) and loved it.

Watch your waistline. Eating in a German Gasthaus and drinking their bier and wine is a good way to put on the weight. My fondest memories are of running at 6 AM in a 10k Volksmarch followed by a couple of beers, and riding around Baveria in the fall visiting the small fests that every village seems to hold at the end of harvest.

It will be a wonderful experience if you make an effort to absorb their culture and learn a little German instead of holding up in an American ghetto and occasionally being a tourist.

Last edited:
America is still a land of opportunity and today we call into remembrance of those that have died for this country. In addition, Mexicans and Cubans die en route in an attempt to get to our great land. And, of course you have who knows how many trying to get here from around the world. We have a statue in a harbor representing our great country. The riding here is amazing as well although perhaps not where you currently live. Many on this forum can lead the way to spectacular good 'ol USA riding. Are you sure you really want to leave America?

I think you may have misinterpreted my post. I'm not looking to leave the U.S. for good - just for a few years. It's a great opportunity to live abroad that my family may never get again.

Any place where WalMart can't survive has to be OK.

Good luck trying to find a NAPA, PepBoys, or the like.

Don't walk across streets against red lights, don't run with your rear fog light on after the snow or fog is over, in fact don't break any rules at all.

At the Country/Western bars, guys will wear t-shirts saying "Remember Pearl Harbor," and the singer might be named Hank Williams Bauer.

We spent two tours living in West Germany in the 70s and 80s. Keep that in mind when evaluating my comments. I also made over 20 short visits to Germany for metings and exercises.

We lived in Heidleburg for a year, Mannheim for two years and Ansbach for two years.

We loved Germany and having the ability to drive or ride to many countries. Where you live will play a part in how you enjoy your stay. We liked Heidleburg and loved Ansbach in Baveria. Try to live away from the American enclaves and find a plave in a small German village. WHile assigned in Heidleburg we lived in a small village outside the city (St. Ilgen) and loved it. In Mannheim we lived in an American housing area and were far less happy. In Ansbach we again went out to a farming village (Aurach) and loved it.

Watch your waistline. Eating in a German Gasthaus and drinking their bier and wine is a good way to put on the weight. My fondest memories are of running at 6 AM in a 10k Volksmarch followed by a couple of beers, and riding around Baveria in the fall visiting the small fests that every village seems to hold at the end of harvest.

It will be a wonderful experience if you make an effort to absorb their culture and learn a little German instead of holding up in an American ghetto and occasionally being a tourist.

I'll have to find a balance between German culture and maintaining our "American" way of life. Four school age kids will dictate that we become a part of the local military community, but at the same time everyone is up for the adventure of living amongst the locals and embracing their culture. As a government civilian, we are not allowed to live on base/post, so out only option is to live in a local village.

Drive right, pass left. This is strictly enforced I understand. Living in a smaller town sounds like great advice. I don't know if it's possible, but you might want to look into getting your children into local schools where they will learn German and make new friends. Finally, living outside of North America and hearing news etc at a distance changes one's perceptions of things. Sounds like you have a great opportunity and I strongly encourage you to go for it.

I'll have to find a balance between German culture and maintaining our "American" way of life. Four school age kids will dictate that we become a part of the local military community, but at the same time everyone is up for the adventure of living amongst the locals and embracing their culture. As a government civilian, we are not allowed to live on base/post, so out only option is to live in a local village.

Sounds like a fantastic opportunity for everyone in the family.

I was born and lived in Germany for 36 years before I came to the U.S. I still go over there frequently (as 6-8 times a year). Things have changed since I moved away from there, but there is still a distinct difference as far as daily life is concerned.
While those who come from over there will find it more pleasant here as far as the "space" is concerned, it may be a challenge for those who go over there to cope with the closeness of everything - including your neighbors. There is a distinct advantage, however, of having a lot of things within walking distance from you residence, such as grocery- and drug-stores. You don't have to jump in the car and drive two miles to get a quart of milk.
Traffic , as Walter hints, is significantly different. Substantially more discipline and a higher level of skill among all drivers. Be prepared to be honked at a lot the first couple of weeks. In Germany, you only use the left lanes when you are passing somebody. The police may even pull you over, if you are a "left lane hugger".
You mention "taxes" and I hope your assignment will provide some tax protection clause. Otherwise be prepared to be shell-shocked if you have to pay German taxes. Although you think you will be comfortable regarding your income, cost of living is quite a bit higher over there and it is not like it used to be in the 60s and early 70s when GIs used to own the place because the Greenback was worth 4 German Marks.
Things that cost 1 U.S. Dollar here, cost 1 Euro over there and that makes stuff 1.3 times more expensive automatically.
I could go on for a bit, but that would probably exceed the frame of this forum. We can continue some of this via pm or e-mail.

IMO, the educational/cultural experience value to your kids is beyond measure! Given that Germany is a safe, beautiful country to live,work & play-go for it! Have I lived there, no. I always encouraged my kids to reach out into the world. Logical to ask here too.

Your income will not be subject to German taxes, but you will however pay any sales taxes. If your Frau were to get a job on the German economy, then the tax situation for her would be complex. If she were to get a job working on a US installation, then she too would be exempt from their income taxes. Will you get a COLA for living in Germany?

I envy the adventure you and your family are about to undertake.

not unlike Mike, I too grew up in Germany and still have family and friends in Stuttgart. I go back often. I also have family near Munich and Duesseldorf with whom I have done some riding so I can give you lots of good info if you want to contact me via PM. Good Luck. You and your kids will enjoy it!

Your income will not be subject to German taxes, but you will however pay any sales taxes. If your Frau were to get a job on the German economy, then the tax situation for her would be complex. If she were to get a job working on a US installation, then she too would be exempt from their income taxes. Will you get a COLA for living in Germany?

I envy the adventure you and your family are about to undertake.

I know my income won't be taxed, and I doubt my wife would work (3 little kids and a teenager), but if she did, she would work on one of the bases/posts. And yes, I would get paid a living and quarters allowance - basically COLA. It's a pretty lucrative deal actually....

not unlike Mike, I too grew up in Germany and still have family and friends in Stuttgart. I go back often. I also have family near Munich and Duesseldorf with whom I have done some riding so I can give you lots of good info if you want to contact me via PM. Good Luck. You and your kids will enjoy it!

If I get one of the jobs I'm looking into, I will certainly be in touch! Thanks...

I think you may have misinterpreted my post. I'm not looking to leave the U.S. for good - just for a few years. It's a great opportunity to live abroad that my family may never get again.

I do realize you said for a few years and you are getting a lot of support from the forum and helpful advice.

I fully understand your post & opinion. And largely agree. But one thought.... "Mexicans and Cubans die en route in an attempt to get to our great land." One has to ask why?..is it to work hard and experience / achieve the American dream? Or is it because there are so darn many "free" programs just waiting for them to sign up? And what kind of "crap-hole" life are they leaving behind?

Don't mean to sound so bitter / grumpy...I just look at the whole picture...and not all of it is pretty.

But one thought.... "Mexicans and Cubans die en route in an attempt to get to our great land." One has to ask why?..is it to work hard and experience / achieve the American dream? Or is it because there are so darn many "free" programs just waiting for them to sign up? And what kind of "crap-hole" life are they leaving behind?

Don't mean to sound so bitter / grumpy...I just look at the whole picture...and not all of it is pretty.

Indeed.

I work with students at the University who were brought to the US as young children, grew up here, went through public schools here, and through intelligence and application have gotten to college. These kids are undocumented, and many have lived here since they were elementary-school age. I've had exposure to their families, who work hard for little money in jobs I wouldn't want, and live in pretty poor facilities. Just like the non-working domestic poor, they attend public schools and use ERs if necessary. One may consider public schools and the ER as "free programs," but it's worth noting that not all who entered illegally are sitting around collecting welfare.

While I wouldn't say theirs is a great life here, their parents' sneaking in suggests it's better than what they left behind.

I fully understand your post & opinion. And largely agree. But one thought.... "Mexicans and Cubans die en route in an attempt to get to our great land." One has to ask why?..is it to work hard and experience / achieve the American dream? Or is it because there are so darn many "free" programs just waiting for them to sign up? And what kind of "crap-hole" life are they leaving behind?

Most of them do work hard, probably harder than many Americans and their working at jobs your typical American is not willing to take. Of course, there are some here for the free programs just like there are some Americans doing the same thing. Being married to a Latina who at one time was also an illegal and kicked out she started out doing factory work (sewing) for crap wages and ended up taking night classes in accounting. Ultimately was able to break free of the factory and bring home some very respectable accounting wages. Has now been a US citizen for almost 35 years. Being married to a Latina also exposes a gringo to exceptionally large families, and although there are a couple of humans you might call garbage the vast majority of the family works their tail off with many being self-employed and working their way into multiple business locations. Most of them performed at crap work but did it long enough and saved enough to get ahead.

Being a gringo I'm well aware of what "us" gringo's think of Mexicans and Latino's. I have also been criticized by a 2nd generation Italian for marrying out side my "race". Huh? I think the comments made by too many in this country are outrageous and most of the time they probably don't have an accurate grasp of what is going on in the Latin community. I'm probably more liberal than most as I don't get annoyed at people coming over here illegally as long as they are here to work in an honest manner. Not a popular opinion to have but so be it. What gets me angrier than anything else is when folks hire them at sub-standard wages and begin to take advantage of them.

Yes, I do call it the American dream.

By the way, the non-pretty picture you refer to includes many born-in-America folks. Bernie Madoff just may be an excellent example. And, Wall Street seems to take a pounding in that arena as well. There's a lot of blame that can be spread all over the spectrum of folks. No one group of people has a lock on being bad. It happens to exist all over the world.

Yikes - looks as if my thread has been hijacked! :eek Any chance anyone out there has more thoughts on living in Germany? I've been doing a lot of research and I'm leaning more toward making the move every day.

I encourage you to go. Just being in a different country is an education. In Germany you will be able to visit other countries easily. When there I love being in places and buildings that are several hundred years older than anything in North America. It puts a different perspective on things.

Back