• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Electrical wire question

jforgo

In putting the front cover on my R100RS, I pinched the wire to the electronic "bean can", so bike would not start. In diagnosing, I straightened the wire, so it did then work. Of course, I feel I can no longer trust it, and want to replace the pinched section of wire.

I have heard the Hall sensor in the bean can is very sensitive. If I go to larger gauge wire (stock is super thin) will that cause a functioning problem? Would heat on the wires from soldering cause a problem?

No. But going to a larger gage will not bring any benefit unless you replaced the whole wire back to the source. Heat will travel down the wire, but not far if you are not on it long. If worried, clamp needle noise pliers on the bare wire near your solder joint to act as a heat shield between the can and the soldering iron. Much of the heat will go into the pliers.

Wayne

Thanks! I wasn't expecting any benefiit in this instance with the heavier wire; I just have some, and find it much easier to work with. it is perhaps less "pinchable"

Back