• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

my run in with an outlaw biker, today

H

HODAG

I was on my way home today from work on the bike, and saw a bike broke down on the side of the highway. (guess what company) Anyway I oull off the highway, and see a black leather jacket with colors and enough patches to make me very leery also the sterotypical outlaw biker working on his bike. Took off my helmet, get off my bike, and he looks up, Stands up and I yell "need a hand". He walks over and says "f*&%^er won't start, she's getting gas but just don't want to start, Man is that a quiet bike your riding, didn't even hear you pull up, sure is pretty".
We fiddle with his bike a little, he doesn't want to do much, claimed it has bad electrics, and he already called his "brother's" to come get him.
I wish him luck, and make sure he has enough smokes, he shakes my hand and says "its nice to see some bikers still have the courtesy to pull over, to offer assistance. I must have been passed by 10 company bikes, and no one even stopped"

also don't expect to have anything in your tool kit that works on early 70's Harleys.

Nice story.

I'm glad to see that he thought your bike was pretty and not you...guess you resisted showing him your ankle. 8^)

Reminds me that today is Ned Beatty's birthday....

Mark - that's a very cool story! Thanks for sharing it.

I have a sort of personal guideline for stopping to help other motorcyclists. If they use the generally accepted "distress signal" of helmet on the ground I will stop, because they know the signal and they have a helmet. If they don' do this and they flag me down I will stop.

Frankly, a "1 percenter" with colors would not be something I would stop for. I studied these guys during my federal law enforcement training and that is just a place I would not want to go. I am civil to them and they are generally civil to me, but I just detest some of the organized criminal activities many of these groups are involved in. I'm talking about bona fide 1 percenters, not "wannabes"

Cool story

BobFV1 said:
generally accepted "distress signal" of helmet on the ground

This isn't the first time I've heard of this signal, but I never get the feeling that it's truly "widely accepted".

Even if everyone else knows about it, I'm not likely to put my helmet on the ground, ever, for any reason. I prefer to hang it from a turnsignal or something where it's off the ground and away from the creepy crawlies and/or rain, etc.

Good job, Mark. Kudos to you for being a exemplary *motorcyclist*. :brow

BobFV1 said:
I have a sort of personal guideline for stopping to help other motorcyclists. If they use the generally accepted "distress signal" of helmet on the ground I will stop, because they know the signal and they have a helmet.
After riding since 1982 I didn't know this.

Never heard of the helmet on the ground thing either.
Also I did notice a 99% patch he had on, I knew of the 1% patches, but this was new?

anytime i see someone with their helmet off fiddling around with a bike, i'll stop, or if they're looking distressed not fiddling with the bike. a few weeks back, comming home from the YB meeting i saw a guy on the mass pike pulled over, but he had his blinker on and helmet on, sitting on the bike and it looked like he was just poking around the carbs (70's cb750, probably a bit off or something) i was in the left lane and traffic was heavy, so i didn't get over. for the next 15 minutes i felt like a jerk though, cause i know how it feels to have bikes go by when i was stranded. 99% of the time i'll stop though.........good work mark!

That's not a "run-in" with an outlaw biker. A "run-in" with an outlaw biker would be you meeting someone like a guy from Charlotte, NC called "Scooter" who stands 6'7" @ 375 lbs. and is NOT fat, who pounds the living hell out of you for about 4 minutes and leaves you in a crumpled heap on the road side.

THAT is a "run-in" with an outlaw biker.

What you did was "run-up" on one.

Big difference.

MTBATP

MIKETHEBIKE said:

just using my journalism 101, make the headline the catch to lure readers into reading the story.
I doubt
"met a nice nancy-boy on the side of the road" would have the same impact"

MIKETHEBIKE said:
That's not a "run-in" with an outlaw biker. A "run-in" with an outlaw biker would be you meeting someone like a guy from Charlotte, NC called "Scooter" who stands 6'7" @ 375 lbs. and is NOT fat, who pounds the living hell out of you for about 4 minutes and leaves you in a crumpled heap on the road side.

Big difference.

MTBATP

Exactly why I dont ride or hang with harley guys. The whole beat the hell out of you mentality should be out of your system by 6th grade.

Kind of like karma...

What goes around, comes around. You never know when you may need help, or who may be available to offer it.

Angel on a Light Truck

Shot on the 101 near Oakland...
HA2.JPG

i read somewhere that the angles' "outlaw image" is now become such a paradoy of itself that they've resorted to buying LT's in an attempt to move as far away as possible from their stereotypical look, seems as if you've seen this new direction they're taking in person,

i've only ever seen one HA out here in mass, it was in a rain storm near worcester and he was hiding in front of a van, i totally cut him off (accidentally, but TOTALLY on purpose), it was COOL!

selil said:
Having been a Deputy Sheriff living next to a house populated with Bandito's I would have to agree.

When I was 16 riding my CB500T down the coast of Oregon it was H A's that stopped and GAVE me a master link and they didn't leave until the bike was fully fixed.

Life is full of twists and turns.

I doubt that they do it anymore, but I read in Hunter S. Thompson's Hells Angels that the HAs used to have a business card that they would leave with a motorist when they helped them as sort of a goodwill gesture.

lorazepam said:
Exactly why I dont ride or hang with harley guys. The whole beat the hell out of you mentality should be out of your system by 6th grade.
you're asuming they made it that far! :D

RM

A couple years ago I stopped to help a fellow on a 70's era HD that was broke down on the side of the road. He was a pretty rough looking fellow but, I couldn't tell that when I was pulling up behind him as he was kneeling down beside his bike. He had blown a fuse and didn't have a spare or enough wire to bypass the fusable link. I had a piece of wire about 6" long in my took kit and offered it up and he was on his way.

Before he departed he had introduced himself and had told me where he and his buddies usually had a few beers and to stop in sometimes and he would repay the favor.

It was about two weeks later when I had read of a motorcycle fatality in the local Anchorage newspaper. The riders name was not released at that time and I didn't think too much more about it until the obituary came out. It had his name and a picture of him in it........Sad

Good work, Mark.
As it has been said, "You don't know when or where you may need the help."

I slow and stop if I can. If I make eye contact, I gave a thumbs up, :thumb to see if they are okay.

Whenever I see some rider on the the side of the road that looks like they may need assistance, I always slow way down, pull over to the far edge of the road and do the "point at them then make the OK or thumbs up signal" to ask if they need help. Everytime, for any rider, no matter what they ride.

Just this last Monday (the 4th), I was riding up to Ouray for some lunch and there was a couple on the side of the road, working on their Valkarie. Turns out he had some plug fall out and didn't have a philips screwdriver to fix it. I have a big tool kit and offered mine and his bike was fixed in two minutes. I always tell people I've done a favor for to simply pass it along to the next person they meet who may need a favor. What goes around, comes around.

To those of you who won't pull over for Harleys or people not displaying the appropriate distress signal, or wearing the wrong riding gear, or this or that, remember what goes around, comes around. I'd hold my nose, but I would still stop and help if you needed it. Too often we see the reason that BMW riders are stereotyped as snobs.

Back