• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

LED Installations on 2012 G650GS?

I don't think the 2012 G650GS has the canbus system as it has fuses under the seat. I wouldn't think it would be a problem using the LED lights but ask someone smarter than me.

I installed Denali running lights, HID headlight , rear brake and turn indicator leds on my 2012 G650GS Sertao. all is well.

Added a separate fuse block for ease of adding stuff.

I'm interested to know your HID installation particulars? I know how to do the work, just like to see where you found room for what size components on this MC model. Specifics such as:
Which HID did you install?
How large a ballast & where it was located?-(they vary a lot in size)
How long was the ballast lead on the unit?(the ebay ads I'm looking @ have no length given)
Which bulb temperatures did you choose for high?/low? beam?
What about a spare bulb?(unless you buy it at time of purchase it's unobtanium on the road)
Satisfactions or otherwise ?

I'm looking at H4 Chinese HID units on ebay:ear
Thanks!

delayed response

I'm interested to know your HID installation particulars? I know how to do the work, just like to see where you found room for what size components on this MC model. Specifics such as:
Which HID did you install?
How large a ballast & where it was located?-(they vary a lot in size)
How long was the ballast lead on the unit?(the ebay ads I'm looking @ have no length given)
Which bulb temperatures did you choose for high?/low? beam?
What about a spare bulb?(unless you buy it at time of purchase it's unobtanium on the road)
Satisfactions or otherwise ?

I'm looking at H4 Chinese HID units on ebay:ear
Thanks!

Have been traveling non-stop and forgot to look at the forum, sorry. Just left RA rally at the biltmore.

I have a failed headligh which I just realized today. as for your questions... I have no idea where I bought it. I sent a note to JP cycle but I can't even find anything looking similar on their website. I remember I talked to someone and ordered WHITE, not blue temp.

I stuck the ballast under the upper trim and ontop of the airbox. I used double faced tape and a wiretie. The powersupply is on the vertical frame memberbelow the airbox. They don't give you much room for wires. Will try to post a photo. It's easier for me to do that on my blog - www.WhereDoesThatRoadGo.com .

Will let you know what I find out about replacing the bulb.

I posed the question of a spare bulb to a couple of HID kit Asian seller & was told $5 extra for a spare. I am seriously curious as to the "is there space near enough" question as on all kits, you get a relatively short wire to play with. Thanks-I was beginning to think no one??? owned a thumper on here.:laugh

This morning I put the original bulb back in the bike and packed the HID with harness to deal with when I get home in July. Had I purchased a spare bulb or written down who I bought it from, I would be in better shape.

I do have Denali running lights mounted on the brush guard brackets. That's pretty nice. They turn with the handlebars. I get some reflection from the windscreen at night, but not bad.

Don't know if I already said, I added a $29 multi-function tail light from Tractor Supply the day after I bought the bike. Threw away the license braket and moved everything up high on the back fender. Added amber turn indicators in the side cases with 2-pin trailer connectors. GiVi top case has brake lights. Their wiring is crap. redid it with a 2-pin plug. Bought flashing red brake light pods from Kickstand parts while at RA Rally. $29. Haven't decided where to install them... maybe on my shoulders.

Back