• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Heathkit Comeback Survey

It looks like a lot to read from the IPhone but a quick look makes me think they are back at it. I built a pile of Heathkit kits through the years and still have some of the finished kits in use. :thumb. OM

The survey takes five minutes or so and it seems they are judging viability. All of my audio test bench gear is Heathkit and it gets regular use.

While in junior high and high school, I worked at the local TV repair shop; the owner had me build several Heathkits - test equipment that he used. I was licensed - WB6BDH - in the early 60s, but have been inactive since I went away to college...save for the modified transmitter (a Viking something, I think) that some of us at school used to put a student-run AM station on the air. That earned us a finger-wagging visit from the FCC.

A significant amount of my technical learning and satisfaction came from Heath. I'm pleased it might return.

But the corner bar had a good laugh...

I've built one of their general-coverage shortwave receivers (forget the model #), an HW-32A transceiver, and a Twoer... great fun and a great learning experience. Long ago and far away... worked my way up from Novice to Advanced (when 13 wpm was required), and had an FCC 2nd Class too. Good stuff to have on my resumes. Thanks, Dad.

I think their biggest hurdle will be getting today's youngsters off their butts and away from their personal gadgets, and getting them to actually DO something themselves and LEARN about it.

I think their biggest hurdle will be getting today's youngsters off their butts and away from their personal gadgets, and getting them to actually DO something themselves and LEARN about it.

The survey is clear about their challenges with kids, and it also acknowledges the maker movement. To my perspective, the maker movement is way too geeky, even for me, and NEEDS a Heath instruction set.

There have been many attempts to bring Heathkit back.

All unsuccessful.

I'm doubtful that it can be done but :dunno

I don know my 14 year old grandson sure enjoys fooling around with his Raspberry Pi $35 computer.

raspberrypi

I built and had a Heathkit crystal radio kit in '67 or '68. Top 40 AM radio in the NYC market was the best and I listened to it all wearing headphones.
I think a couple of my friends pooled their money and bought a mini-bike kit that Heath sold too. My Dad would never let me own one.

mike wex

No Way

I built slew of Heathkits over the years including one of their big color TVs. They always worked and I enjoyed building and using them. However, I don't think they have a snowball's chance in hell of coming back.

I've always been intersted in electronics and have built a few Heathkits items including a 27" colour TV.

As a technologist I also design and build my own stuff from scratch, and of course as you've guessed I'm middle aged. (Last year I designed and built a portable band saw mill that will handle a 24" by 10 foot log).

The other technologists at work who are my age are amateur radio buffs ( I work for a satellite company), however the younger techs aren't interested in electronics or building stuff at all.

I guess when you grew up with the tech miracle of a smart phone, how interested are you in building a variable voltage power supply or a function generator?

I don't think Heathkit will make it, although I wish them well........Rod.

Back