• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Those damn deer!

Unless one drives a junker, they would want insurance coverage and so they would report hitting a deer.

Now about those 6 deer on your property, are any of them wall hangers???:D

About the first comment, my brother's car is named "Deerslayer". Enough said. There's one big buck my hunter has been after for years. Elusive SOB though...

About the first comment, my brother's car is named "Deerslayer". Enough said. There's one big buck my hunter has been after for years. Elusive SOB though...

Mac,

By the time a whitetail buck gets to be 3 years old, he has had quite an education by hunters. The odds of him dying of old age increase with every year. During the fall they become nocturnal as they road a wide area looking for does that will stand.

Catching him sneaking into his bedding area early in the morning is most likely your best chance to see him.

I had been in a tree stand for over 2 hours once before I saw the tips of antlers sticking up above brown brush. When he finally stood up and walked away I couldn't stop shaking. Classic buck fever. Biggest whitetail deer I've ever seen.

That's why it is called "hunting". :D

Mac,

By the time a whitetail buck gets to be 3 years old, he has had quite an education by hunters. The odds of him dying of old age increase with every year. During the fall they become nocturnal as they road a wide area looking for does that will stand.

Catching him sneaking into his bedding area early in the morning is most likely your best chance to see him.

I had been in a tree stand for over 2 hours once before I saw the tips of antlers sticking up above brown brush. When he finally stood up and walked away I couldn't stop shaking. Classic buck fever. Biggest whitetail deer I've ever seen.

That's why it is called "hunting". :D

Back in the day of the large camp rosters, you had the advantage of the neighboring camps / crews moving the deer daily during hunting season. The idea of finding 20~25 guys to do a single day of coordinated chases (or anything) just boggles the mind in today's world. Perhaps we have forgotten something.

Back in the day of the large camp rosters, you had the advantage of the neighboring camps / crews moving the deer daily during hunting season. The idea of finding 20~25 guys to do a single day of coordinated chases (or anything) just boggles the mind in today's world. Perhaps we have forgotten something.

When I first started deer hunting here in S. Illinois, we used to drive during the middle day. Sometimes it produced, sometimes it didn't, but it sure was a good way to walk off breakfast. :D

When I first started deer hunting here in S. Illinois, we used to drive during the middle day. Sometimes it produced, sometimes it didn't, but it sure was a good way to walk off breakfast. :D

Side hills and mountain laurel...........it was quite the walk

I agree that deer are mighty tasty, and I'm OK with hunting- tho I'm a gun owner, I do not hunt myself.
The deer population has virtually exploded, we all pretty much agree on that.
Here's a story of how one state has handled their deer population... Along with other wildlife as well, I'm certain.

In more heavily developed areas, some of the deer/vehicle collision issue stems from disappearing habitat.
Wildlife populations increase, but are squeezed into diminishing habitat, as human populations also increase in the same neighborhood. In some places, probably you know that the remaining wildlife habitat resembles -or is referred to as- "corridors". Up in central New Jersey, which is heavily populated and suburban, but formerly semi-rural, along I-78, the wildlife "corridors" have been preserved and kept contiguous by one simple, tho seemingly genius device- overpasses JUST for the wildlife. Seriously, there are multiple major overpasses with NO road- only trees, and brush all gown up on them- to give the deer (and other critters) a way thru their corridor of cover. As you may suspect, you don't see too many deer or animal carcasses along this stretch of interstate. In this way, the DOT takes some of the responsibility for keeping the roads safe.

Obviously, this may not be viable in all areas, but in semi-urban, suburban and/or semi rural areas where there is known to be a growing animal population, but habitat is diminished or rapidly disappearing, and traffic is constant and heavy? In my mind, this is a simple way to maintain habitat corridors, and keep folks and deer safe from collisions with one another. I applaud New Jersey for their forward thinking on this increasingly aggravating - not to mention dangerous- issue.

I agree that deer are mighty tasty, and I'm OK with hunting- tho I'm a gun owner, I do not hunt myself.
The deer population has virtually exploded, we all pretty much agree on that.
Here's a story of how one state has handled their deer population... Along with other wildlife as well, I'm certain.

In more heavily developed areas, some of the deer/vehicle collision issue stems from disappearing habitat.
Wildlife populations increase, but are squeezed into diminishing habitat, as human populations also increase in the same neighborhood. In some places, probably you know that the remaining wildlife habitat resembles -or is referred to as- "corridors". Up in central New Jersey, which is heavily populated and suburban, but formerly semi-rural, along I-78, the wildlife "corridors" have been preserved and kept contiguous by one simple, tho seemingly genius device- overpasses JUST for the wildlife. Seriously, there are multiple major overpasses with NO road- only trees, and brush all gown up on them- to give the deer (and other critters) a way thru their corridor of cover. As you may suspect, you don't see too many deer or animal carcasses along this stretch of interstate. In this way, the DOT takes some of the responsibility for keeping the roads safe.

Obviously, this may not be viable in all areas, but in semi-urban, suburban and/or semi rural areas where there is known to be a growing animal population, but habitat is diminished or rapidly disappearing, and traffic is constant and heavy? In my mind, this is a simple way to maintain habitat corridors, and keep folks and deer safe from collisions with one another. I applaud New Jersey for their forward thinking on this increasingly aggravating - not to mention dangerous- issue.

Now, you and I, both live in PA. Let's consider how this approach would be applied to the Keystone State. Our Game Commission is supported by license fees and mineral extraction taxes from game commission lands. The PA Game Commission is under constant heavy pressure to increase herd size by the folks that buy licenses. PennDOT is responsible for our highways and is funded by our fuel taxes and Federal funds. Someone at PennDOT might care are about the deer issue, relative to carcass removal, but I doubt that deer-car or MC impacts are a big issue relative to maintenance. You, I and our insurance companies might care, but we aren't a funded part of the government and no agency is targeted with reducing deer-vehicle impacts.

Now, you and I, both live in PA. Let's consider how this approach would be applied to the Keystone State. Our Game Commission is supported by license fees and mineral extraction taxes from game commission lands. The PA Game Commission is under constant heavy pressure to increase herd size by the folks that buy licenses. PennDOT is responsible for our highways and is funded by our fuel taxes and Federal funds. Someone at PennDOT might care are about the deer issue, relative to carcass removal, but I doubt that deer-car or MC impacts are a big issue relative to maintenance. You, I and our insurance companies might care, but we aren't a funded part of the government and no agency is targeted with reducing deer-vehicle impacts.

Yeah, can't disagree with you there... It's a tough deal. Everyone's crying broke; no $$$ for infrastructure, much less bridges for deer or other animals. Too bad the government is so short sighted, perhaps they would see how everyone (IE: citizens, Game Commission, PENNDOT) would benefit from use of these. Seems like a win/win to me.

I DO wonder, tho, just how it came to be in NJ? Maybe it was a "pork barrel" project? Those overpasses, at least
from my limited perspective (70-80 MPH in day, night, rain, shine), don't appear too old...

After a quick Google search, turns out multiple states have some form of wildlife crossings, be they overpasses, or underpasses & tunnels of various types and size. The Canadians use them, & Europeans plan such "devices" into their future roadway development plans. Typically, fences are used to "funnel" wildlife into or onto these crossings. I saw some studies on cost, BUT most of the articles or PDFs were pretty dense, so I didn't go too deep. Turns out this isn't new, nor is it isolated to New Jersey.

Here's an informative and easy read on the subject from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildlife_crossing

I though briefly about carrying a gun on my airhead for that 'just in case moment with the deer'............but after serious thoughts and reflection, not a very wise choice.....A, Can't shot it while driving as it happens in a flash before you even realize it. B, Being as I drive an old airhead I might get pulled over for suspious looking behavior. and last but not least. C, I'd end up pelting all the vehicle drivers that are texting, talking on the cell phone, eating and doing everything else other then what there supossed to be doing which is driving!!!!
On a serious note, Deer are becomming a problem and waiting for disease or other natural thining methods may take to long or end up affecting other species etc. I've been missed twice by a deer in upper Florida, and hit once on the side (tech stop) of the road by a doe who was sooooo spooked it just plowed me over. :hungover

Those deer are funny. Even in the best of circumstances, they don't give you a lot of opportunity to shoot them. How the bow hunters do it, well, I have to admire them. They get close. But with some of this deer hunting in the suburbs, that is easy.
But shoot them from a motorcycle? Oh, I would like to see that.
The deer are smarter than they used to be. They learn.
I think perhaps fewer people have the money to take the time to hunt them.
dc

I've hit them and ridden away, got broadsided and brokenly rode home...many near hits at all times of day or year...just always on the lookout! Helen had an encounter in the driveway last night...luckily no contact ten feet from safe parking!

On the new SH130 tollway off IH-10 between San Antonio and Austin which is posted 85MPH...deer not the problem...feral hogs are! Check out police dashcam when the road first opened...I have ridden it on a bike a few times...but NOT at night!

http://www.kvue.com/home/Wild-hogs--176037761.html

Back