• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Dragon...

F

Fourvalve

A buddy & I rode down to North Carolina from Ohio-heard the riding was great. That was an understatement... After we dumped the bags & luggage at The Kickstand Lodge (GREAT place to camp!), we headed back to US229, called The Dragon; 318 corners in 11 miles (someone else counted!). Hundreds of bikes, from ratty Harleys to $30k Ducatis. Very few Beemers, though... I thought we weren't doing all that bad on our Airheads, dragging pegs & such, when a guy on a two-stroke dirtbike, with knobbies blasted around us in a corner and slithered away in the distance. Ok-I'm humble.
The road doesn't seem to be patrolled at all-I spoke with a Sheriff; he said that they stay off those roads unless called to a scene.
The surrounding area was beautiful, very few cars and the roads smooth. Good place to spend some quality two-wheeled time.

Biggest problem on the Dragon (US 129), is the traffic. Squids passing you in your lane, trucks and cars coming around curves in front of you in both lanes, and incompetent motorcycle riders, usually on HDs or Goldwings who approach a curve too fast and realize they can't make it without swinging wide into your lane. The road in the several times I have been there has been in excellent shape. Law enforcement does indeed concentrate on that road at times. Check out www.tailofthedragon.com.

We are. But only to non MOA members ; )

Oops. Don't read this if you're not a member . . .

Voni
sMiling

I think the dragon was the most intense road way that I have ever riden. I was worked into a sweat after the first trip on it. The sky way was also an unbelievable road, giant high speed sweepers with a good surface, dosent get much better than that. Sooooooo many great roads so little time.

exharley scott said:
I think the dragon was the most intense road way that I have ever riden. I was worked into a sweat after the first trip on it. The sky way was also an unbelievable road, giant high speed sweepers with a good surface, dosent get much better than that. Sooooooo many great roads so little time.

You ought to come out here some time, man.

814945-L-2.jpg

Deals Gap

I rode Deals Gap to the RA nat. at Fontana. Great ride. When I got to the end I believe I was at the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort where they had the large pile of motorcycle parts lost in scrapeoffs and crashes. There was a good crowd hanging around it. Got off my bike and acted like I didn't know where I was. Told the group "Man, that was a great ride; I can't wait to run Deals Gap! They all started laughing and saying "You just did!" I can't wait to go back and ride it again.

KBasa,
I was there for MotoGP and afterwards up 1 to 101 then over to Everett Wa. It was wonderful. I was immensley impressed with the riding in Ca. and the Cage drivers. If you tried to lane split in Fl. you'd be a hood orniment. And most drivers did a great job in the mountains of staying out of Riders ways by using turnouts and just pulling over and waving you by. The rest of the country could take a lesson on sharing the road efficient use of roadways.

bad news from the Dragon

Deal's Gap Claims Two More
Two motorcyclists die on Dragon
2005-07-23 by Anna C. Irwin of The Daily Times Staff

Two people died in motorcycle accidents that happened a few miles and
several hours apart on the Dragon, the winding 11-mile section of
U.S. 129 between Tab Cat Creek and the North Carolina line.

The body of David Workman, 48, of Alva, Fla., was found Friday
morning after his 14-year-old son Sergio, despite several broken
bones, climbed 25 to 30 feet up an embankment to the roadside where a
motorist saw the boy and called for help just after 11 a.m.

Tennessee Highway Patrol Trooper Phil Little said Workman was riding
his 2005 BMW motorcycle up the mountain with his son as a passenger
Thursday afternoon or evening. Little said it appeared he missed a
curve and went off the road near the 10-mile marker. The motorcycle
traveled about 30 feet down a steep embankment and struck a tree.

Workman and his son were vacationing with other family members in
Western North Carolina and left Thursday afternoon to ride the
Dragon. They were to have returned by 7 p.m. Thursday and were
reported missing late Thursday.

The injured teenager was flown to University of Tennessee Medical
Center by Lifestar and was listed in stable condition although
suffering from the emotional trauma of his father's death and the
night spent on the mountainside. Little said the youth had not been
interviewed to determine what time the accident occurred.

Rural/Metro Ambulance Service and Blount County Volunteer Rescue
Squad personnel used a system of ropes to retrieve Workman's body,
which was taken to Blount Memorial Hospital.

At 1:15 p.m. Friday as the emergency responders completed the
technical rescue/recovery, another motorcycle accident was reported
near Mile Marker 8.

Little said a 2004 Buell motorcycle ridden by Jack Wolfe of
Hagerstown, Md., went off the road on a curve, traveled about 100
feet down a steep embankment and landed against a tree.

Rescuers rushed the two miles from the recovery site of the first
crash to the scene of the second, then launched another technical
rescue effort using a system of ropes to lower paramedics to the
critically injured man. It took almost an hour to bring the victim
secured in a Stokes basket back to the roadside.

Friends said Wolfe had come to ride the Dragon to celebrate his
birthday. He was 62 on Friday.

A Rural/Metro ambulance took Wolfe down the mountain a few miles to a
landing zone set up near the Calderwood powerhouse by Blount County
Sheriff's Office deputies. He was flown by Lifestar to UT Medical
Center. He apparently died on the way to the hospital

My wife and I did the dragon in June, we had a blast. Check out www.killboy.com He posts new pics from the dragon evey week. If you have been on it, (The Dragon) he may have even gotten you. We also spent alot of time on the Blue Ridge Parkway...Great stuff!!

My condolances to the families of the two riders who lost their lives on the dragon. I have ridden that road and it does indeed have a very steep learnng curve and is not forgiving of mistakes.

We pulled a squid out of the weeds yesterday while taking my kids to the grandmothers house. He was just back from Afghanistan and had purchased a new R6. He had to exit the road when the car he was following on the ramp stopped suddenly. At least he was wearing a helmet and he ended up on the grass. Said he was going to get some gear. We turned him onto a deal on the net for a full set of icon gear for 425.00. We also recomended he take a track day and get some riding tips.

Ride Safe :thumb

Dan

Here's some pictures of me going through the Dragon and hamming it up for the camera on my way to GMR this last Spring.

30989017-M.jpg

30989015-L.jpg

Roads

KBasa said:
You ought to come out here some time, man.

814945-L-2.jpg

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Too many out here as it is.

(Angeles Crest and Mount Palomar Road are pretty neat,too)
du

itsbob said:
What kinda tank bag is that???

The factory bag. Works great, though at 11 years old, one of the zippers is busted and the elastic up front is pretty well shot. I'd buy another one. It's a pretty nice bag.

456749-L-1.jpg

KBasa said:
one of the zippers is busted and the elastic up front is pretty well shot.

You know that Bob Weis repairs those things, right? Great job and reasonable price.

BMWGypsy said:
You know that Bob Weis repairs those things, right? Great job and reasonable price.

I thought he was outta that business.

I'm gonna have to send him a note.

from a rollin' Buckeye

Fourvalve said:
I thought we weren't doing all that bad on our Airheads, dragging pegs & such, when a guy on a two-stroke dirtbike, with knobbies blasted around us in a corner and slithered away in the distance. Ok-I'm humble.
The road doesn't seem to be patrolled at all-I spoke with a Sheriff; he said that they stay off those roads unless called to a scene.
The surrounding area was beautiful, very few cars and the roads smooth. Good place to spend some quality two-wheeled time.

I have just returned from the same ride! I ran the Skyway first then back through the Dragon for my return. Mid week it was empty in the morning when I rode it. I have to admit I was humbled when I saw a Goldwing leaned over and traveling at a high rate of speed in pursuit of a few riders on CBRs. That was on the Skyway where the curves are less intense but the views breathtaking, a shame to hurry.
All that was written through the years about the Dragon are true in my opinion it is a feat to accomplish (with a heavy older KRS) and a heavyer older rider! I also give my kudos to those folks that ride their Harleys through the switchbacks with their significant others hanging on.
You don't have to go fast to have a good time, a brisk pace will do.
Good times kids good times.

I have been going there for years. The first time I went there on a BMW was in 97 or 98 on a 93 R100GS. I never forget getting stuck behind one of the kookiest cars I have ever seen. I got around him and was feeling pretty good about how fast I was going until two guys on CBR600s passed me, pegs sparking, and were quickly gone.

The car turned out to be test mule BMW Z3 Coupe. I guess it wasn't too far from home since 100% of worldwide production of Z3, Z4 & X5 are made in the US.

There are lots of locals on the Dragon that know every nuance. They go very fast on a surprisingly diverse mixture of bikes. Do not get sucked in and try to hang with the locals, it will kill you. You must ride at your own pace and skill level.

Back