• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW told me I have a defective engine and needs to be replaced on my 2005 r1200gs

Status
Not open for further replies.

espressoforyou

Finally after 6 years of telling BMW that the leaking seals on my bike are not repairable they said today that "the only way to fix my bike is to replace the engine". Of course their next statement was that a new engine cost $9,000 which is more than the value of the bike.

By BMW admitting that the only way to stop the leaking seals is by replacing the engine is another way of saying that I received a defective bike from the factory. They offered a rebate check if I purchased a new bike but not near enough of make up for the diminished value of my bike and all the problems I have dealt with for the past 7 years.

I will keep you posted.

It may have been defective from the factory or it many have become un-repairable because someone rode if off the top of the Empire State building and it caught fire on the way down.

Six years is more than enough time to carry a resentment for me. (resentment - letting someone I dislike intensely live rent-free inside my head)

To solve the mechanical problem someone could:
Get a good (authorized or unauthorized) wrench to do whatever it needs to repair it.
You don't mention which seals they are but I would guess a crank and pair of good used crankcases would correct the problem.
Get an engine from Beemer Boneyard or similar salvager.
Trade it for another brand.

I would do ALL of the following:
Never own a BMW product again as long as I live.
Never mention it again.
Ferret out my negative thinking by reviewing a list of ten things I am grateful for every time I'm reminded of the problem.
Listen to Don Henley's "Get over it" every day for ten days.
Get on with life.

I actually do these things. They are intensely practical and very effective in living a happy productive life.

Thanks for you positive response GK

I like your suggestions for dealing with problems and that is pretty much how I deal with everyday stuff.

I like challenges and I look at this as a long term challenge. 99% of owners with this situation would have given up, but I am the 1% and don't mind asking for something to be made right.

I appreciate your comments and will keep you posted.

Thanks 4 thanks.

Easy for us to say "yeah, that's probably right" but I only know one of us so far who invested 3:31 listening to the Eagles on youtube this morning and the first time I really heard;

"...Complain about the present and blame it on the past
I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass..."

Sets me on a good course for the day. I was thinking about lyric fitting me not you so needn't take offence.

You received this two cent's worth not only free of charge but serendipitously. You aren't one of my oilhead brothers and I found your post by accident.

Have a great day.

What GKman said. Find a used engine, install it, trade the bike on a Honda, don't look back.

When life (or BMW) gives you lemons, make lemonade.

pete

It may have been defective from the factory or it many have become un-repairable because someone rode if off the top of the Empire State building and it caught fire on the way down.

Six years is more than enough time to carry a resentment for me. (resentment - letting someone I dislike intensely live rent-free inside my head)

To solve the mechanical problem someone could:
Get a good (authorized or unauthorized) wrench to do whatever it needs to repair it.
You don't mention which seals they are but I would guess a crank and pair of good used crankcases would correct the problem.
Get an engine from Beemer Boneyard or similar salvager.
Trade it for another brand.

I would do ALL of the following:
Never own a BMW product again as long as I live.
Never mention it again.
Ferret out my negative thinking by reviewing a list of ten things I am grateful for every time I'm reminded of the problem.
Listen to Don Henley's "Get over it" every day for ten days.
Get on with life.

I actually do these things. They are intensely practical and very effective in living a happy productive life.

It's like taking the poison and hoping the other guy dies. Not very realistic. I like the way you think. ;)

Waiting to hear back from BMW NA after emailing all my repairs on leaking seals

BMW NA asked for all my receipts and are reviewing my case again. As I mentioned in my original post, Motorrad USA said that my bike is not repairable and the only way to solve my leaking seals issue is to replace the engine. I emailed all my receipts to Motorrad today and am waiting to hear back about what they are going to do about my bike. I will keep you posted.

BMW NA asked for all my receipts and are reviewing my case again. As I mentioned in my original post, Motorrad USA said that my bike is not repairable and the only way to solve my leaking seals issue is to replace the engine. I emailed all my receipts to Motorrad today and am waiting to hear back about what they are going to do about my bike. I will keep you posted.

What kind of help are you getting from your Dealer? Are they going to bat for you? And, if I remember correctly, you were having electrical issues seemingly because the spine had been broken so many times to repair the seals. Is Motorrad USA addressing that issue too? It would seem to me that the Dealer should be willing to step up for you after they have spent so much time and energy to fix this problem to no avail.

A defective not repairable bike is the fault of the manufacture, not the dealer

The dealer and BMW is not willing to fix the electrical problem. I am working with BMW to see if I can get my bike replaced. Will keep you posted.

Your bike is repairable, just not worth it for BMW due to the cost involved. Hopefully their offer will improve dramatically.

Good point ponch1.

Your right they could fix it, but the fix is more that the bike is worth. So it makes since to me to buy the bike back.

They will, on occasion!

I had a 1995 GS1100, BMW replaced the cams and computer and a lot of other stuff, worth MORE than the bike and I had 88000m on it already. I bought the bike used at 1100miles and did most all the miles myself. The bike was almost 4 years old when they did this one FREE. BMW certainly is a hard case most of the time, but do step up once in a great while. I paid nothing:). Sold the bike about a year later. It sold quick and was a real nice bike. I HAD complained too, all the time I owned it, to BMW about its runability, pinging and so on. I got to the point where I tried to destroy it, couldn't. BMW finally stepped up. Randy

Thanks for you comments Polarbear

I should hear something by next week. I am hardheaded and will not give up when I have not been done right. I told BMW USA that "I am the nicest pain in the butt you will ever deal with". I am very polite when dealing with them, but I do not give up.

Will keep you posted.

New poll up on whether the MOA should have a more proactive stance for it members

We can find out in a few weeks if there is any interest in a strong proactive advocate within the MOA in dealing with BMW NA concerning possible or known defects with our bikes and other pressing issues at hand.

So go the the Forum and look under Motorrad and you will see the poll titled "Should the MOA have a proactive roll in presenting its members concerns to BMW NA?"

Let see what happens

Is there any particular reason why you seem unable to stay in one thread on the same subject ?

We can find out in a few weeks if there is any interest in a strong proactive advocate within the MOA in dealing with BMW NA concerning possible or known defects with our bikes and other pressing issues at hand.

So go the the Forum and look under Motorrad and you will see the poll titled "Should the MOA have a proactive roll in presenting its members concerns to BMW NA?"

Let see what happens

Big stretch using the phrase "known defect" as I see very few others post with the same problem.

You really only have a case if the problem arose during the new bike warranty period. If so, you'll be better off hiring a lawyer rather than whining to a forum as the former's real world as opposed to the naive idealism of the latter. And, you know, there are plenty of lawyers specializing in suing drivers that hit motorcyclists but I've never heard of any specializing in suing manufacturers over so-called "known defects." Not any that don't injure anybody anyway.

But yes, of course the club should have a consumer advocate. An obvious service. Yes, it sounds scary if you're a volunteer officer but you hire an employee expert to do it. In fact all major companies seek feedback and the function could even be funded by BMW given a good, nonconfrontational proposal.

Of course typically when you're an elected officer only your viewpoint matters as you've been anointed and you know what's best for everyone else and don't really seek feedback. Plenty of officers have already stated this opinion in another thread. Feedback should be sought by the officers in an ideal world and not through polls on this forum started by others.

Sorry officers, but what counts is effect and not intent. That's how you look whether you intend it or not.

Would you really believe as a club officer that if you proposed creating this position to the membership that you'd get a negative response? Not likely, I think, and that makes it a matter of fear, doesn't it?

Big stretch using the phrase "known defect" as I see very few others post with the same problem.

Agreed. I kind of prefer "fails in larger numbers than I would anticipate". Leaves some squiggle room. Dealers may or may not have a handle on a given failure rate other than a pure guess. BMW NA is certainly not throwing out failure rates to the dealer organization. It's closer to "What problem?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back