• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Water Water

It seems everyone with a Camelbak or similar puts it in the tankbag. I don't as my tankbag is filled with clothes. You don't mention what bike you ride, but if you have an RT (maybe some other models too), you can place a water bladder in the glove compartment and thread the hose to the handlebars or to a tankbag as I do. Works great, keeps the water cool as it is out of the sun (unless you stop for a period of time in which case engine heat heats it up fairly quickly), keeps it off your back, and is drinkable while riding.

I carry two collapsible water containers (2 litres each) for the campsite.

Water...

I have used a Camelback filled, placed into the freezer overnight and then hung over the support for my backrest. I tuck the hose into the corner of my tank bag. I have ice water most of the day. To prevent that first blast of hot water simply blow air back into the hose after a drink. It worked great. on subsequent days, I just use ice and water. It still works...

I use a 70oz Camelback filled with ice & water

RIDE SAFE

I assume this is the "backpack" type of Camelbak? If so, I would be interested in hearing from those who use a backpack type system if having to carry this added weight on your shoulders affects your endurance for long rides? I have been looking at this option but am concerned about this possibility. Not as young as I used to be and am planning a cross country trip to the Rally in July, so I need all the help I can get.

I assume this is the "backpack" type of Camelbak? If so, I would be interested in hearing from those who use a backpack type system if having to carry this added weight on your shoulders affects your endurance for long rides? I have been looking at this option but am concerned about this possibility. Not as young as I used to be and am planning a cross country trip to the Rally in July, so I need all the help I can get.

I use a backpack Camelbak it is a 70 oz size and only a water pack. I would not go with one any larger or is a multi pack. This is from personal experience. The 70oz only water pack I use I can't till I have it on compared to the larger multi I had.

My hydration setup for long distance is a Camelback "Unbottle" - the bladder in a neoprene-type case that can be strapped down and a soft sided Polar Bear Cooler - I either freeze water in the bladder or fill it with ice and water. The insulated bladder goes into the cooler with the hose sticking out, strapped to the pillion seat behind me. The cooler is filled with ice when possible and I've got cold water for the day - even in 100+ degree days!

You can find the Camelback Unbottle can be found at REI (was in there the other day and saw them)
Stay hydrated!!! :bottle

I wear the Camelback and find that it cools my back when riding in hot 90+deg weather. After a sip of cool water I blow back thru the bite tube to keep as much cool water in the Camelback as possible. I have tried MIO to flavor the water but have found that plain water works best for me when riding.

RIDE SAFE

Interesting. What size bladder do you put in the glove compartment?

I'm not sure what size I have as I bought many years ago. I just filled it with 3 litres but I think it might be rated for 2.5 litres. I can typically fill up about 2/3 full and still fit it into the glove compartment, so usable volume is probably around 2 litres. I can't remember running out of water though I do come close sometimes.

Klean Kanteen - Great Warranty

Recently, I acquired a used Klean Kanteen that is not in the best shape. It has about a one inch diameter dent near the bottom, but who cares. It's just going in my tank bag or my day pack. Unknown to me when purchased, it also has a small seam crack by the dent. Fill the bottle and you have an instant leak. Darn.

My solution? This last weekend, I went for a ride to visit family living in Chico, Ca. While I was there, I dropped the bottle off at Klean Kanteen's office. Their guy took one look at the bottle and said, "Oh, you have a seam separation, let me get you a new bottle." No red tape or paperwork to fill out. No garbage about a dent causing the seam to split. Nothing. They just took my bottle and handed me a new one. To top it off, they let me keep my old cap as an extra and even provided me with two replacement O ring seals for the lid. Great service.

Calmelbaks and endurance

I have bicycled numerous centuries wearing a 72oz. Camelbak and I never noticed the extra weight. Perhaps it would be noticeable while sitting erect, but I've never used one on my old 3-speed, only on road bikes.

I ended up getting a 2 litre geigerrig, which has the pressurized delivery feature. Got it today but have not tried it yet. Looks well made.

I've used a 2L backpack Hydrapak (minimalist version) as well as a 3L inside my riding jacket pocket on my RT. No problems whatsoever with weight... Would never give it up, I wear it for anything over 1/2 hour ride.

Water Options

I use a 70 oz. Camelbak bladder in the back pad pocket of my Olympia Airglide jacket. It has the back protector pad between me and the bladder. Easy to remove to refill and I use the built in hook to connect to the hanging loop on the top of Olympia. It keeps the bladder from falling down in the pocket as it empties. The hose comes out and over my shoulder so either the wife or I can drink. The weight is not felt when sitting.

I use an 100 oz camelback and wear it in it's pack. Never notice the extra weight and no issue getting free ice at gas stops.

Mesh pocket bladder

I carry a large camelback in the pocket apparently designed for it in my mesh jacket. Don't notice the weight. When it's cool enough to not need mesh I just carry a kleen kanteen in that monster tank bag on the RT. Only drawback I've found to the camelback is having to pull over to pee more often than if I do not have constant access to water. I have been known to strap gallon jugs of water to the frame of my airhead with the bottoms resting on the passenger pegs weight supported by connecting strap on seat. Can't seem to recall why I was carrying that much water, but do remember it worked well. I also carry a backpacker filter for safe reloads.
Back in the ole days we used to mount nautical beverage holders on fairings so riders could enjoy a beer without spilling in the turns. Times have changed eh.

I have a old tank bag from my crotch rocket days that I always wondered what the sleeve on the bottom of it was for. After a trip (in July) to Colorado from Oklahoma and back I finally figured it out. On the way to the mountains I wore a camel back but it never stayed cold for too long, but on the way home I slide it in the sleeve and pulled the hose out thru the back of bag and I was surprised how long the water stayed cold. Of course the first slug of water was hot as hell but after that was great, now if I could find one that you could pressurize-that would be way cooool:thumb

Geigerrig! http://www.amazon.com/Geigerrig-G2-070-0Z-p4-Hydration/dp/B00870DGDS

Bought a Geigerrig Shuttle a month ago for my plan trip to the MOA Rally from Montreal. After trying it a few times, I have found that filling it with ice and water would keep the water cold for about 2 hours.

Looking for a solution to keep the water cold for a longer preriod, I took out the hydration engine and bought a 13" Laptop neoprene case and had some alumimum foil covered air bubble wrap that I covered the hydration engine with before packing it in the neoprene case.

With this modification, I can keep the water cold for over 6 hours in 100 deg F weather.

This made my 6,000 miles round trip feasible while keeping me hydrated.

alternative to bladders

Is there any type of device that contains hose and bite valve that screws directly onto a store bought bottle, like "aquafina" or Ozarka or Gatorade or whatever, but something that can be bought when getting gas?

It would be cold, could be put into an inside pocket of a jacket to help cool you down, or an outside pocket, or put into a fridge/freezer for overnight, etc.

It appears the screw tops of the bottles are all the same size. Maybe I'm wrong on that?
They could be refilled if desired, or carried as a six pak somewhere? but the access tubing and bite valve would be the key.

John

Back