• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RT vs GTL

What did I say makes you think I have a chip on my shoulder? I tried to make constructive comments but it seems you don't want to hear them unless they are what you want to hear = the R1200RT is the best bike in the world.

I do get tired of threads that turn in circles.

If two of us have passed comments you may want to re-think about how you come across. You certainly don't have to if you choose not to. No big deal. I imagine we'll get over it.

Threads that ask for an opinion always run in circles. As soon as you say something that someone doesn't agree with you have opened the door for dispute, especially from the Kool-Aid drinkers.

Truth be told trying to compare an RT to a GT/GTL is a waste of time. The RT is a great bike and has proven itself time and time again. I ride my sons RT on occasion and in many respects I like it more than my GTL save for the fact it is not liquid cooled and has a dry clutch. I also don't care for the way the lower fairing juts outward and hits my leg when stopped.

The K1600 is intoxicating in its power and smoothness, save for the driveline snatch as some call it. It is loaded with farkles from the factory that are nice to have but in reality aren't really needed, but you still pay for them. The absurd Bluetooth setup is one such item. I can't listen to the radio without spending a crap load of money on "extras" to let me do so. What's with that??? I refuse to pay a ton of money to get the BMW/Schuberth setup that should have been standard on a $25,000.00 motorcycle. Engine guard bars should have also been designed into the K1600 not an add on option especially as easily as this bike gets damaged in a drop. Remember how well protected the 1200 LT was in a drop situation? Not so on a K1600 without optional guard bars.

For me the K1600 GTL is a more comfortable ride than the GT or RT. Perhaps the new liquid cooled RT will be more to my liking and if so I will make the switch when it comes. I hope BMW doesn't mess up the protection the fairing offers on the new RT like they did on the K1600 compared to the old 1200 LT that it replaced. And yes the GTL does have a certain nervousness at speed that the RT does not have especially around large vehicles. For me at least I don't feel that same nervousness around large vehicles on my sons RT. Both bikes have top cases so perhaps one day I will take them off and see what happens in a comparison.

Rick

Threads that ask for an opinion always run in circles. As soon as you say something that someone doesn't agree with you have opened the door for dispute, especially from the Kool-Aid drinkers.

Truth be told trying to compare an RT to a GT/GTL is a waste of time. The RT is a great bike and has proven itself time and time again. I ride my sons RT on occasion and in many respects I like it more than my GTL save for the fact it is not liquid cooled and has a dry clutch. I also don't care for the way the lower fairing juts outward and hits my leg when stopped.

The K1600 is intoxicating in its power and smoothness, save for the driveline snatch as some call it. It is loaded with farkles from the factory that are nice to have but in reality aren't really needed, but you still pay for them. The absurd Bluetooth setup is one such item. I can't listen to the radio without spending a crap load of money on "extras" to let me do so. What's with that??? I refuse to pay a ton of money to get the BMW/Schuberth setup that should have been standard on a $25,000.00 motorcycle. Engine guard bars should have also been designed into the K1600 not an add on option especially as easily as this bike gets damaged in a drop. Remember how well protected the 1200 LT was in a drop situation? Not so on a K1600 without optional guard bars.

For me the K1600 GTL is a more comfortable ride than the GT or RT. Perhaps the new liquid cooled RT will be more to my liking and if so I will make the switch when it comes. I hope BMW doesn't mess up the protection the fairing offers on the new RT like they did on the K1600 compared to the old 1200 LT that it replaced. And yes the GTL does have a certain nervousness at speed that the RT does not have especially around large vehicles. For me at least I don't feel that same nervousness around large vehicles on my sons RT. Both bikes have top cases so perhaps one day I will take them off and see what happens in a comparison.

Rick

Just what I was looking for. Thanks Rick.

If two of us have passed comments you may want to re-think about how you come across. You certainly don't have to if you choose not to. No big deal. I imagine we'll get over it.

Yes, Billy, I think we have participated in other threads. And at a certain point, I have stopped discussing.
I used to be much like you on forums for quite some time. I used to think I had to drive my point home and not stop adding arguments until everybody was convinced that I was right.

Yes, Billy, I think we have participated in other threads. And at a certain point, I have stopped discussing.
I used to be much like you on forums for quite some time. I used to think I had to drive my point home and not stop adding arguments until everybody was convinced that I was right.

Good comment on a general level.

I know I was there once years ago. It's almost part of the forum maturation process that can be seen with newer posters. Often times they mellow out, or just go away. I have done both in my day:laugh

Whoa, Billy, you just going to sit there and take that!!!

Seriously, I got the information I was looking for. Everyone was very helpful. That's what makes this forum so successful. Informative and entertaining.

I really wanted to hear a comparison of the RT to the GTL. It may seem foolish to many, that are already educated in this subject. Before purchasing my now one year old to me 2009 R1200RT I spent a year researching only to end up on a new 2009 FJR, which I traded 3 months later because the inherent "buzz" of a inline four coupled with a 5 speed transmission made my hands and feet go numb. My next educational experience was with a 2009 Concours, the engine heat and an article in Rider comparing the R1200RT and the 1400 cc beast of a Kawasaki (Although apparently apples and pears to most) gave me the insight that the BMW dealer and web sites had not. My RT is the most comfortable motorcycle that I have ever owned, however I never knew the RT was so much better ergonomically than the competition by sitting on them in the dealerships for five minutes. The comparison for myself is more of an curiosity, is the GTL to the RT what the RT is to the FJR? It cost a lot of money to gain the limited education I have when it comes to the so called "sport touring" motorcycle. I was hoping to hear some things that made people chose one over the other, once the water cooled RT comes out I will be in the market to upgrade and don't want to have to learn the hard expensive way. Thank you to all those willing to share their experience.

I replied earlier, about the liquid cooled RT
Local dealers says mid 2014 in showroom
Like my 1600 a great deal, lots of power, and handles exceptionally well
Ridden a older RT while a nice bike, it was apples and oranges compared to 1600
With 130 hp and all the goodies from the 1600 the new RT may be my next bike

I really wanted to hear a comparison of the RT to the GTL. It may seem foolish to many, that are already educated in this subject. Before purchasing my now one year old to me 2009 R1200RT I spent a year researching only to end up on a new 2009 FJR, which I traded 3 months later because the inherent "buzz" of a inline four coupled with a 5 speed transmission made my hands and feet go numb. My next educational experience was with a 2009 Concours, the engine heat and an article in Rider comparing the R1200RT and the 1400 cc beast of a Kawasaki (Although apparently apples and pears to most) gave me the insight that the BMW dealer and web sites had not. My RT is the most comfortable motorcycle that I have ever owned, however I never knew the RT was so much better ergonomically than the competition by sitting on them in the dealerships for five minutes. The comparison for myself is more of an curiosity, is the GTL to the RT what the RT is to the FJR? It cost a lot of money to gain the limited education I have when it comes to the so called "sport touring" motorcycle. I was hoping to hear some things that made people chose one over the other, once the water cooled RT comes out I will be in the market to upgrade and don't want to have to learn the hard expensive way. Thank you to all those willing to share their experience.

Don't let others get to you. If the comparison is valid to you it's valid. I had many people compare RT's to GTL's; not an unusual comparison by any means.

My 2 cents

Hello guys.

My first message here.

I have a C650GT, the scooter, and I'm looking for a motorcycle to share the garage with it.

Had the pleasure to test both the RT and the GTL and the GTL did it for me. It was the engine, that butter smooth powerhouse that clicked for me.

The RT was very comfortable but the engine was very "tractor" like for my tastes. I come from the world of 4 cyl Japanese bikes and prefer smooth engines.

Now, I was told the new water cooled GS is extremely different from the old oil-air boxer. Never had the chance to test it. Maybe the 2014 RT is the bike I need, but can I wait until mid-2014? When will the new RT be available? I wish I knew.

Also, my original idea was to sell the scooter and get the bike but a weekend with a loaned GTL told me this might be a bad idea. I use the scooter a lot to ride close to my house, run some errands, go to the gym, etc, and when I tried to do it with the GTL it was not as convenient. So I'm now thinking of keeping both the scooter and the motorcycle.

Maybe I need to test the 1200 GS and try to get a feeling for the engine, try to imagine how the new RT will be. Will see.

Anyways, nice being here, learning a lot from you all.

Cheers.

NRP

Ridden a older RT while a nice bike, it was apples and oranges compared to 1600
With 130 hp and all the goodies from the 1600 the new RT may be my next bike

An older RT vs a brand new one is also not a fair comparison.
I don't think I'll ever use all of the 110HP of the current generation RT.

GTL for day...

I had a GTL for a day as a service loaner. Put 200 miles on it just because I could. I couldn't stand how twitchy the bike was when passing large vehicles at highway sped.e The turbulence from trucks/buses/RVs/etc. was unnerving. I guessed it was due to the giant Goldwing top box catching the wind, but regardless of what caused it, I didn't like it. I didn't like the ergonomics, either. I felt like I was riding inside a Barcalounger instead of riding a motorcycle.

Every GT rider who has heard this story tells me to test ride a GT - that it's a totally different bike with completely different characteristics and ergonomics, and it's rock-solid stable at speed and when passing large vehicles or encountering side or cross-winds.

Were I in the market for a cross-country sport touring bike, I'd compare the RT to the GT - not the GTL.

Having a GTL for a day provides very little time to become familiar with all it has to offer. The comment about "I couldn't stand how twitchy the bike was when passing large vehicles at highway speed." suggests the Ride Mode may have been set to Dynamic. In this Mode the throttle is adjusted so the throttle reacts very quickly. When you take the power of the straight 6 engine, while in the Dynamic mode, from 60-70mph and you give the throttle a good quick twist the bike will launch forward and if your not ready, you're going to feel uncomfortable. As for Wind turbulence when passing large vehicles one must always expect some level of turbulence. On the GTL, in Dynamic mode, the bike will boost the MPH to 90-100+. And, if your not ready for that, the speed of the bike will add to the turbulence just as the Top Box will. Bottom line, I feel, is that the GTL provided exactly what your input asked for, problem was you were not as familiar with the GTL capabilities. FYI- You'll see similar handling with the GT if the Mode setting is in Dynamic mode. I think you will like either K1600 once you more familiar with all of it's capabilities.

I can't tell you how many BMW's, non 1600's, as well as many other bikes have been left behind when they try to pass at 60-75mph. I'll pull over at the next stop, as many of the other bikes will also pull in, and the first thing I see is a shaking head and a big smile once they see the Touring bike that left them behind. I still find the performance of my GTL quite amazing. I will not even mention what happened to an F6B. :laugh

I can't tell you how many BMW's, non 1600's, as well as many other bikes have been left behind when they try to pass at 60-75mph. I'll pull over at the next stop, as many of the other bikes will also pull in, and the first thing I see is a shaking head and a big smile once they see the Touring bike that left them behind. I still find the performance of my GTL quite amazing. I will not even mention what happened to an F6B. :laugh

I agree with the statement about the performance of the K16. I experience the same thing. However: This is not a priority for many people who look for a touring bike!

This post got me thinking about the relative mid range performance of some of the newer bikes, relative to a 1600 GTL, and I wondered whether this is a bike thing, or a rider thing.

The 2011 Motorcyclist Magazine GTL / Gold Wing article states that the 60 - 80 top gear roll on time for the GTL is 3.95 seconds.

Here are Motorcyclist's roll on data for BMWs, and some other marques:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/performancedata/122_0108_pdataresults/

You will see that the K1200GTs and 1200GS have approximately the same performance as the 1600, and the K1200R is quicker. Unfortunately, the R1200S and ST are not listed. As expected, once you look at sporty bikes, there are any number that are quicker.

Overall, the GTL's numbers are pretty good.

Back