• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RT vs GTL

tf78933

MOA #188066
I tried to search but came up empty. I know this question has been asked before. I love my RT. Unfortunately, my wife and I rode a GTL Saturday and wow, very nice bike. Roomier, more stable at high speed, smooth, expen$ive.

90% of my riding is two-up. We are considering a pop up camper to tow to rallies. My wife has never camped and we'll see how sleeping on the ground goes at the RA rally.

Questions I would like to have answered.

Weather protection for the passenger on the GTL? She sits up higher and loves that, but what about rain?
towing capabilities. I'm sure The GTL would handle it better, but am I ok to tow a $250 lb trailer with the RT.
I'd like to hear from anyone who has made this swap. Regrets? Content?

Thank you for input.

I tried to search but came up empty. I know this question has been asked before. I love my RT. Unfortunately, my wife and I rode a GTL Saturday and wow, very nice bike. Roomier, more stable at high speed, smooth, expen$ive.

90% of my riding is two-up. We are considering a pop up camper to tow to rallies. My wife has never camped and we'll see how sleeping on the ground goes at the RA rally.

Questions I would like to have answered.

Weather protection for the passenger on the GTL? She sits up higher and loves that, but what about rain?
towing capabilities. I'm sure The GTL would handle it better, but am I ok to tow a $250 lb trailer with the RT.
I'd like to hear from anyone who has made this swap. Regrets? Content?

Thank you for input.

Adding a trailer IMO adds an unacceptable degree of risk. I would never recommend putting a spouse on the back and then adding a trailer. Of course, if you're trying to be single this just may do the job :dance .

I was always curious about trailers and thought I'd get one eventually until I read the trailer write-up here today.
Look on the MOA home page here. Very eye-opening and at least several reasons to NOT get a trailer.

RT vs GTL? Strange comparison. It's like deciding between a Ford Taurus and a Ford Explorer.
What made you decide to buy an RT vs an LT?
I also love my RT. I bought a GT and kept the RT. I know , it is not an option for everyone, but the bikes are too different to either one take the other's place.

RT vs. GT instead of RT vs. GTL

I had a GTL for a day as a service loaner. Put 200 miles on it just because I could. I couldn't stand how twitchy the bike was when passing large vehicles at highway speed. The turbulence from trucks/buses/RVs/etc. was unnerving. I guessed it was due to the giant Goldwing top box catching the wind, but regardless of what caused it, I didn't like it. I didn't like the ergonomics, either. I felt like I was riding inside a Barcalounger instead of riding a motorcycle.

Every GT rider who has heard this story tells me to test ride a GT - that it's a totally different bike with completely different characteristics and ergonomics, and it's rock-solid stable at speed and when passing large vehicles or encountering side or cross-winds.

Were I in the market for a cross-country sport touring bike, I'd compare the RT to the GT - not the GTL.

I had a GTL for a day as a service loaner. Put 200 miles on it just because I could. I couldn't stand how twitchy the bike was when passing large vehicles at highway speed. The turbulence from trucks/buses/RVs/etc. was unnerving. I guessed it was due to the giant Goldwing top box catching the wind, but regardless of what caused it, I didn't like it. I didn't like the ergonomics, either. I felt like I was riding inside a Barcalounger instead of riding a motorcycle.

Every GT rider who has heard this story tells me to test ride a GT - that it's a totally different bike with completely different characteristics and ergonomics, and it's rock-solid stable at speed and when passing large vehicles or encountering side or cross-winds.

Were I in the market for a cross-country sport touring bike, I'd compare the RT to the GT - not the GTL.

I've only sat on a GT and it felt a lot like the RT. They have a nice red used one in one of the local dealers and when I had my fuel strip replaced last weekend, it made me think. The thing that made me say no was that it's a first year bike and it's almost 2/3 through warranty mileage wise. Out of warranty repairs on an RT can be heart stopping, on a first year model like this, cremating.

Sit in a Chevrolet Malibu and you will find out it will feel a lot like sitting in a Corvette.......

For me it did. Even Cycle-ergo.com bears this out. I think I know the difference between the vette and the malibu: I wouldn't willingly drive either.

I've only sat on a GT and it felt a lot like the RT. They have a nice red used one in one of the local dealers and when I had my fuel strip replaced last weekend, it made me think. The thing that made me say no was that it's a first year bike and it's almost 2/3 through warranty mileage wise. Out of warranty repairs on an RT can be heart stopping, on a first year model like this, cremating.

Fuel strip replaced... tell me it ain't so! :dance

In my opinion 2005 and later RT's are much nicer than the 6-cylinders. 6-cylinder however might offer better passenger comfort.

Fuel strip replaced... tell me it ain't so! :dance

In my opinion 2005 and later RT's are much nicer than the 6-cylinders. 6-cylinder however might offer better passenger comfort.

First one.

How are the RTs nicer? What I do like on the GT is more power. There are times I wish I had it. Of course I could lose weight and that would help, but I just wish the RT had more stonk and less of I have to reel in the throttle to get WOT. Not huge objections at all, just something I think about. The RT has a lot of driveline lash too, but I seriously doubt the GT solves that. What I do like about the RT is the lower monthly payment and probably better gas mileage. I'd also have to start over with the change the whatever to make it fit me.

First one.

How are the RTs nicer? What I do like on the GT is more power. There are times I wish I had it. Of course I could lose weight and that would help, but I just wish the RT had more stonk and less of I have to reel in the throttle to get WOT. Not huge objections at all, just something I think about. The RT has a lot of driveline lash too, but I seriously doubt the GT solves that. What I do like about the RT is the lower monthly payment and probably better gas mileage. I'd also have to start over with the change the whatever to make it fit me.

RT's could absolutely use more horsepower. Another 50 would be primo.

Now remember I love RT's anyway so your mileage may vary here anyway:
1) Too big and bulky
2) Seat height too low
3) No where near enough leg room for someone 6' 1" tall
4) Snatchy driveline (worse than RT?)
5) Has the capability to blow through tires far too quickly
6) In-line 6? Didn't Honda do that years ago?
7) Too wide
8) Requires more effort to back out of garage

Low on horsepower yes but for us tall folks the foot peg to seat relationship can't be beat among touring bikes. And, it can be increased further thanks to mod's such as Suburban Machinery. Although the 6-cylinder has the potential to be a better super slab bike than the RT for us tall (?) folks there is no where near enough leg room IMO. I love RT legroom! Plus, IMO it is quite possibly the best all around motorcycle on Planet Earth!

1) Too big and bulky
2) Seat height too low
3) No where near enough leg room for someone 6' 1" tall
4) Snatchy driveline (worse than RT?)
5) Has the capability to blow through tires far too quickly
6) In-line 6? Didn't Honda do that years ago?
7) Too wide
8) Requires more effort to back out of garage

Low on horsepower yes but for us tall folks the foot peg to seat relationship can't be beat among touring bikes. And, it can be increased further thanks to mod's such as Suburban Machinery. Although the 6-cylinder has the potential to be a better super slab bike than the RT for us tall (?) folks there is no where near enough leg room IMO. I love RT legroom! Plus, IMO it is quite possibly the best all around motorcycle on Planet Earth!

The two best bikes for tall people are the GSA and the Victory Cross Country/Vision.

I have Suburban Machine lowering kit on my RT and moto techniques risers.

For those of you who responded to the original thread, thank you for your input. Also got good advice from K1600forum.com

Here you go!

1) Too big and bulky the incremental size increase over the RT is marginal
2) Seat height too low Only applies tot he GTL, GT seat height is comparable to RT
3) No where near enough leg room for someone 6' 1" tall Same here. GT has better ergonomics for tall people
4) Snatchy driveline (worse than RT?) That's a matter of getting used to. The E-throttle requires some practice
5) Has the capability to blow through tires far too quickly That's hear-say. People have 13,000 miles on a set of Michelins
6) In-line 6? Didn't Honda do that years ago?So? How many cars have V6es? Is that a point against it? BTW, Benelli had the first street 6-Cylinder
7) Too wide See 1)
8) Requires more effort to back out of garage see 1)

Low on horsepower yes but for us tall folks the foot peg to seat relationship can't be beat among touring bikes. And, it can be increased further thanks to mod's such as Suburban Machinery.They supply footpeg kits for the K16 also Although the 6-cylinder has the potential to be a better super slab bike than the RT for us tall (?) folks there is no where near enough leg room IMO. I love RT legroom! Plus, IMO it is quite possibly the best all around motorcycle on Planet Earth!

Here you go!

Ponch, I have experience selling and servicing these bikes:

1) K16's weigh 20% more than RT's based on dry weight plus I've pushed these things around inside a store I don't know how many times - Verdict: I'll take an RT any time
2) Seat height on a GT is comparable to RT but the comfort just doesn't seem to be the same when it comes to peg to seat height - Maybe I'm wrong on this?
3) GT has better ergonomics for tall people - Apparently I'm missing the boat here somewhere
4) The E-throttle requires some practice - Had a number of customers complain about drive line snatch - BMW service rep's response? That's the way the bike is designed - I then asked him the benefit of designing that in and he had no answer - Read into that we've made a mistake but are unwilling to admit to it - As for me the snatch is a minor issue
5) That's hear-say. People have 13,000 miles on a set of Michelins - Respectfully disagree - Can some folks get 13k on their tires? Maybe, but I saw tires being worn out with less than half on them - Horsepower combined with weight is known for short tire life although this is not true 100% of the time
6) In-line 6? Didn't Honda do that years ago?So? How many cars have V6es? Is that a point against it? BTW, Benelli had the first street 6-Cylinder - The following is pure personal preference: Having ridden Gold Wings primarily for many years I am over huge motorcycles - Riding an RT for the 1st time was a pure pleasure - As stated the K16 is perhaps a better choice for someone who is going to live on an interstate and/or consistently carry a passenger - All around use the RT excels in my opinion

8) Requires more effort to back out of garage see 1) - Sorry, I've moved too many around inside a store to agree here

Irregardless of my opinion people need to purchase what they are interested in and not necessarily my choice of ride.

Ponch, I have experience selling and servicing these bikes:

1) K16's weigh 20% more than RT's based on dry weight plus I've pushed these things around inside a store I don't know how many times - Verdict: I'll take an RT any time
2) Seat height on a GT is comparable to RT but the comfort just doesn't seem to be the same when it comes to peg to seat height - Maybe I'm wrong on this?
3) GT has better ergonomics for tall people - Apparently I'm missing the boat here somewhere
4) The E-throttle requires some practice - Had a number of customers complain about drive line snatch - BMW service rep's response? That's the way the bike is designed - I then asked him the benefit of designing that in and he had no answer - Read into that we've made a mistake but are unwilling to admit to it - As for me the snatch is a minor issue
5) That's hear-say. People have 13,000 miles on a set of Michelins - Respectfully disagree - Can some folks get 13k on their tires? Maybe, but I saw tires being worn out with less than half on them - Horsepower combined with weight is known for short tire life although this is not true 100% of the time
6) In-line 6? Didn't Honda do that years ago?So? How many cars have V6es? Is that a point against it? BTW, Benelli had the first street 6-Cylinder - The following is pure personal preference: Having ridden Gold Wings primarily for many years I am over huge motorcycles - Riding an RT for the 1st time was a pure pleasure - As stated the K16 is perhaps a better choice for someone who is going to live on an interstate and/or consistently carry a passenger - All around use the RT excels in my opinion

8) Requires more effort to back out of garage see 1) - Sorry, I've moved too many around inside a store to agree here

Irregardless of my opinion people need to purchase what they are interested in and not necessarily my choice of ride.

EMSimon contended your comments for the most part. All I would say is look at cycle-ergo.com and compare ergos. As far a Michelins go, I have over 9000 miles on mine and have may be 1500 left and I am no lightweight.

I owned 2 RTs before buying a 2012 K1600GT. There is nothing like an RT in the motorcycle world. It's a beautifully designed bike with great wind protection and ergonomics. I decided to move up to the GT for the performance of the 6 cylinder engine. I wanted to have a fast bike with a comfortable seating position that handled well. Sportbike acceleration and handling. I couldn't be happier with my GT and would never want to go back to the RT. Another factor for me was the technology offered by the bike. I love the adjustments that can be made to the suspension and throttle control with the push of a button. I also have the bluetooth/satellite system, adaptive headlight (they're great), alarm, GPS, etc. that makes the bike a pleasure to ride in all kinds of weather and road conditions. Zero problems with almost 7200 miles.

There is a large community among the BMW owners/riders who strongly resist any substantially new model and they will talk it apart anyway they can. Do any of you remember what happened when BMW introduced the "Flying Brick"?
All the Airhead die-hards predicted the world would come to an end. For some, there is not other BMW motorcycle POSSIBLE than a boxer.
No matter what, they find real bad things about anything else.
I bought a new K16GT and I kept my R1100RT. Directly comparing the two bikes is just a waste of time.

Sorry I do not have a RT, have ridden one though. I my humble opinion things get a bit busy above about 75mph same as my 1200GS did. My 1600GT doesn't know 55 from 140mph very smooth. Would like to ride the 2014 RT if its as different as the new GS to the old one. One may be in my future

Back