• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2012 GSA intermittent stalling

OfficerImpersonator

Seattle-area Rounder
Riding home from work yesterday on the freeway at 70 mph, my 2012 R1200GSA with 7800 miles (and three weeks after a service) abruptly stalled, exactly as if I was out of gas. The tank is 3/4 full, so obviously that wasn't the problem.

I was able to coast to the shoulder, where I tried to re-start the engine. After more than just a few seconds of cranking the engine and getting a few sputtering attempted starts, the engine finally started and ran for a few seconds, before stalling out again. Again I tried cranking the engine over. The engine sputtered a few times, and then came back to life. I revved the engine a few times to ensure it was running smoothly - and it was - and then I re-entered traffic to continue my commute home.

As soon as I got back up to freeway speed after leaving the spot where I first encountered this issue, it stalled out again, and again I had to coast to the shoulder. I repeated the process of trying to start the engine, getting a few sputters in the process, before she finally came back to life again. Again I let it idle for a moment, and again I revved the engine, trying to discern if she would stay running this time. All seemed normal, and I again re-entered freeway traffic. The ride for the remaining 16 miles home was uneventful.

The local BMW dealer is accessed via the next freeway exit after the spot where the bike kept stalling, but with it being a Monday, the dealer was closed. Otherwise, I would have stopped at the dealer on my way home to fine out what was going on with my still-under-warranty bike.

The bike operated normally on this morning's commute.

Any ideas what happened/what's going on?

My independent BMW mechanic's first guess was the 'fuel pressure regulator'. Whatever it is, the dealer and BMW can sort it out. I like warranty work! :dance

As a follow-up, I've put a couple hundred issue-free miles on the bike - including a bunch of riding off-road, through rain, mud and even some snow, and the issue hasn't reappeared. Perhaps it was bad gas? I was running 87, but I put 92 in at the last fill-up because it was an easy variable to adjust. It's run just fine ever since. I'm going to stop worrying about it and just ride it.

Good;

Think I would too. My GSA runs all gas with no issues, most have since the '07 year. Maybe some water got in there? A GOOD idea would be ADD a pint of TECHRON Injector/gas cleaner next fillup. THIS stuff works wonders, a miracle drug for gasoline systems:). My 5 years old GSA has had this Techron added only a few times as I thought the bike was running less HP and quick higher speed accel's were lackluster! Man, within 20 miles the bike jumped to life again as new. My bike never missed a beat, just got dirty inside it seems. Highly recommended Techron is something you should consider for one tank. Watch out/ hold on:). RandyGSA1200 at 100000m now,almost:).

Back