• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oklahoma is not OK

Bud

It is what it is.
Keeping the missing children in our thoughts and prayers as first responders continue to search.

God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.
Psalm 46:1-3

Remember, there are those who would game the "donation" system. Make your donations ONLY to organizations that you are familiar with.

That's the thread title I was going to use Bud. Apparently this town of Moore- outskirts of Oklahoma City was crushed back in '99. F4 today which I think is 208 to 260 mph winds and back in '99, winds went over 300mph- digest winds ever recorded....F5.
There is not much that will take that. Good luck if your in that area. Gary

Very close to the path from the '99 EF5 tornado, this one took out a lot of property.

Moore is just south of the OKC metro, between Norman (home of Oklahoma University) and the Oklahoma City metro area.
A few of us on this forum have lived through these or outrun them, it's never pretty.

Especially for the first responders who've had to do the recovery process.

Our kids survived the tornado that hit Edmonton AB in 1987 which missed our local school. The tornado was an EF4 on the ground for an hour for 25 miles and was .6 miles wide at the same time of day as this one which was much larger and might be a whole point higher on the EF scale. We had 27 deaths from ours and at the time of this writing OK has lost at least 51. I cannot imagine the pain and suffering of the parents and children in OKC and my heart goes out to everyone touched by this tragedy.

It is my understanding that the National Weather Service is saying this may be the largest tornado in US recorded history. Largest as in size, MPH, or what I'm still not sure. But it was huge, and it caused an awful lot of damage.

Let's hope the weather forecast I heard - maybe more tornados tomorrow - are wrong. I fear the death toll from the one today will rise dramatically. How could it not, given what we've all seen on TV?

What to say in the wake of this sort of tragedy?

I hope that casualties are minimal. The power of Mother nature is unbelievable.

Living in the north, people say how can you handle snow storms and blizzards, but at most you have to stay home a couple days, but your house and property are intact.

I will never understand why public buildings/schools in tornado alley don't have basements/shelters. I suppose it comes down to cost, but what were the lives of those kids worth? As the father of 3, I can't imagine what those parents are going through. Sad, just sad.

I went to college in OK. I saw a couple of twisters but was never in real danger, but I've never felt more insignificant as when I was in the presence of a tornado.

Moore, ok

The video on TV of the tornado and its path of destruction reminds me of Joplin, MO a few years ago. The efforts of all affected by this tragedy to help one another is a reflection of the American spirit and it is refreshing to hear that Kevin Durrant a gifted NBA player and member of the Oklahoma City Thunder has donated 1 million dollars to the Red Cross for disaster relief. My thoughts and prayers are for those victims of the spring storms sweeping through our heartland.

Ride Safe

Our oldest son was at OU in 99.They saw that storm from Norman and he helped triage for the hospital.Like others have said,pray for all those affected by this.Ed

Remember, there are those who would game the "donation" system. Make your donations ONLY to organizations that you are familiar with.
Great point. We had scams here in E. KY after our many tornadoes here last year.
As one who had to live through (duty) the "Topeka tornado of 1966" I'll never forget the Red Cross was there & set up selling food while many other organizations were giving it away! Hard to get that "taste out of my mouth" in spite of what is no doubt much good that they do. To further make my point, the Red Cross used that very storm as the video focus of their TV fund raising commercials for many years afterwards.
I donate my blood to the "other" large, blood bank donation group in KY for that very reason. Perhaps familiarity breeds contempt for me with them? Sorry but I had to say this.
OK is a sad place to view from afar, may the best be yet to come for them.
But DO! GIVE!

Tornado

I live in Moore, OK and the devastation is unbelievable. Fortunately, the tornado path was a mile from my house so all we got was some debris. I've been a volunteer Damage Assessment Supervisor with the American Red Cross since I retired in 2011 and this is the worst I've ever seen.
The area by Plaza Towers elementary was the worst, you couldn't drop a bomb and cause more damage. I had to look at the county assessors map on most of the homes to even tell what the address used to be. The numbers right now are over 1100 homes totally destroyed with another 1200 damaged pretty heavily. I saw cars that you can't even tell what model it was.
The good news is that most people are joining together to help those who lost their homes. I even had a guy call me yesterday who saw my number in the Anoymous book from Florida just to see if my bike and I were ok.
If you can give to the Red Cross or any well known organization, a lot of help is going to be needed.

Back