• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1976 R75/6 Swing Arm Bearing Seals

cseltz

Any wisdom available on the installation of the bearing seals on this swing arm? Other seals (wheel bearing) seem to just drift into place but these 2 do not.

Thanks

can you clarify

Can you clarify a couple of items? Did you replace the bearing and race? Or are you just replacing the seals? I usually just pull the bearing out and clean it, assuming there are no heavy wear marks on the race, then reinstall the freshly greased bearing and a new seal. I think the seal is about $6.00 from Cycleworks ( www.cycleworks.net). Gently press the seal in with a piece of plastic pipe or a socket. I have pics of the process if you need.
kurt

The bearings are fine. I am cleaning, inspecting, greasing and replacing the seals. The old seals came out with great difficulty. The swing arm looks fine (not marred or deformed in any way) but the new seal is a very tight fit. I cannot get them to even "take up" in the receiver with a light tap as I have on all others. Pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chip

Brook Reams' blog might be of assistance > http://brook.reams.me/2013/04/15/1973-bmw-r755-replace-swing-arm-bearings-powder-coat/

8647587104_5b5686c6b4.jpg

what brand or style of seal

The pics just posted are the seal that I use from Cycleworks. I remember pulling out the stock seals, very difficult, they were in there tight. The gold colored ones pictured may be a much easier install. What seal or style are you trying to install? I ended up this tool in the pic to remove the stock seals.
Kurt

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 45
The tool!

This is the tool from Cycleworks, great little item! Shown holding the removed seal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 44
Hey Chip... define "take up". Are you using a big socket, or similar, "tool" to spread the load out over the seal when you try to install it?

The seal I took out is the same as shown in the pictures (though I did not have that extraction tool and it was a &!+@# getting them out). The seals I got from Re-Psycle look identical. For installation, I take a socket small enough to just fit the opening (can't remember the size) and while holding the seal against the opening and the socket against the seal, give a light tap. That normally gets the seal to "take up" or lodge in the opening. If I take the socket away, the seal stays in place. Then I carefully tap the socket watching to make sure the seal goes in straight and adjusting the location of the tapping to compensate. With the seals from Re-Psycle, they will not even lodge in the opening. I ordered a set from Cycleworks and we'll see how that goes. According to Marko at Re-Psycle, the seal they are selling is the BMW part and he says they have never had a problem putting them in. I guess I am just lucky! Thanks for all the input. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back