• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

R60/5 Replacing Turn Signal & Starter Switches and Wire Block Inside Headlight Bucket

kentuvman

R60/5 Replacing Turn Signal & Starter Switches and Wire Block Inside Headlight Bucket

Probably not a difficult job but am erring on side of caution . . .

New switches/wires on the way from Hucky's - originals are not in good shape - broken contacts, brittle wires - Also ordered a new wire terminal strip as part of the existing block must've gotten hot at some point in the bike's history and melted on one end.

Here's my questions:

Did I read correctly that I need to rivet the new block through the bottom of the headlight?

Thinking if I just take my time & take picture where existing wires are placed, this should go smoothly.

Did see a post yesterday where Lew provides a large schematic - mine has fuses.

Will take it slow. Any words of wisdom appreciated.

Mine is held in place by a machine screw and nut (#6 ) IIRCC At some point, in the distance past, it came loose and floated around. apparently with no ill effects (it doesn't need to be grounded) - I finally got around to re-capturing it.

Take it slow is the key. It's not a race (unless you are charging a customer to do the work). Just relax and get a good feel for the "terrain"... I went so far as to pull all the wiring out and untangle the rat's nest. Did you buy replacement instrumentation bulbs too?

Slash5Schematic.jpg

Here's another "with fuses" diagram > http://www.brianberlin.net/berlinmm/5fuse.jpg

Thanks, Lew

I did replace al the instrument bulbs - they seem to be working okay except neutral light isn't coming on but will get to that too.

Schematics appreciated!

... neutral light isn't coming on ...

Maybe a loose/broken wire down on the "neutral switch" ? If the wire is broken/disconnect it's more than likely the problem; ground it to the tranny case to check if the bulb/circuit works.

The switch can be a royal PITA to get to when in the bike (maybe I'll get a lift if I finally decide to keep my /5). There's a black rubber plug that covers the end of the boss / set screw secures the wire / which comes in through the little boss at the bottom.

switch @ 1:00 from the kick starter shaft

8487744900_8fb3d63fc4_z.jpg

Good clue, Lew.

Neutral light worked before I pulled tranny to do maintenance - I bet the wire may not be in all the way . . . thanks

Back