• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1991 K100 RD oil leak

littledog

I have a question regarding my 1991 K100 RS. It has 37600 miles on the odometer.
Last fall I took about a 300 mile ride down to New Mexico as a final fall trip. The next day I noticed an oil spot under the bike. Over a period of several days it continued to leak, but I couldn't pinpoint the source because of the bottom fairing. The bike sat through the winter and it seemed to stop leaking. About a week ago I did some maintenance including fluid changes and installing a new "Progressive" rear shock. I didn't have any oil leak although this seemed rather strange because those things usually don't just go away. Yesterday I went for about a 75 mile ride to test the new shock. It was great compared to the stock unit, but after the bike sat overnight there was an oil drip on the driveway. Determined to find out the source I pulled the bellypan off and cleaned all the oil from the bottom of the engine. After letting the bike sit for about five minutes I determined the oil was coming out of a small hole cast in the front of the oil pan. This hole is cast into the oil pan in front of the oil filter access plate between the left and center front oil pan bolts and appears to extend up into the engine block just behind the oil/water pump. I would appreciate any help with this problem before I just proceed to drop the pan/ remove oil pump etc. Thanks in advance for any advice.

It's the weep hole for the oil/water pump. Time for new seals. Or find a good K1200 pump on eBay and bolt it on.

Trinidad CO - beautiful country there! My stepdad's family came from Trinidad.

K100RS oil leak

JamesInCA Thanks for the info. Time for more work before I ride. Yes, this is a nice area. Lots of great riding. Trinidad is a small town so there is a chance I know your relatives

The Eliases. Most of them have moved; the closest is in Denver.

Visiting a few years ago for his funeral was an unexpected adventure. His daughters, apparently, had lived at one time or another in most of the town's major buildings -- the Bloom house, the Library/Jail, the mortuary, the water treatment plant ... and boy, were there stories!

Back