• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MC Choices, Choices! So Many Choices!!! Help me decide...

kantuckid

Update-I bought a 2012 G650GS...

:scratch Help me out here:
I'm a life long rider & just sold my R1150R & was seriously considering a scooter(senior years thing un huh...) until I watched my MC go down the hill in the other guy's PU truck.:laugh Even @ 69 the $$$ is hot in my hands & the web searches are ticking my wife off(as in taking all of my attention;)) as I devour the many used MC locales online. My health remains good so throwing a leg isn't an issue,bad back is "hanging in there",enough of that stuff!
I know how to look for a MC,etc,etc.. I pull my own wrenches. What I'm asking about is input from those that have owned/own 2009-2012 G650GS or F650GS MC's. I've also considered the F800 bikes like ST. All of these are lower or lowered via suspension and/or seat.
That's my affordability spot plus as my inseam is 29" and short arms I want to handle the MC at rest. Lower center of G is a plus too. I rode the new 2012 Suzuki Wee-Strom 650 last summer & really like them other than they are a tall MC. Spirited enough amt. of power for travel & tossable bike too.With the oilhead I was on tip toes on level ground with low seat option.Underway, a great ride. There are plenty of these to look at especially the G650GS MC. Easy enough to buy below , say 2,000 miles and many well under that-typical of MC thing in lower price range, I suppose. My purchase will very likely be a fly & ride within a broad search. If the machine & price are right , ~ $200 ticket gets me there& fun ride home! No, I'm not a backyard buyer.
I well beyond power freak stage in life but all my riding is all day trips or longer,no dirt-when I'm in the woods I use Merrell's;) My /5 project is still just that & not going anywhere this summer.
One seller advised me to buy a "regular" suspension and lower via dogbone ,etc. for resale issue, clearance. Another has a lowered 800ST and no centerstand & thats a weld up mod thing thats doable but still not there now on that MC. I like the "look" of the 650's that have spokes vs the Japanese looking cast wheels on recent version but can buy a 2012 for nearly same price as a 2009 with similar low miles. Only a few have luggage which I do have to have sidecases some how & top case.
I've read some but obviously just a smidgeon of the immense amt. of info on various tech issues with these MC's. I'm pretty greasy but rather ride than tear down too!
Help me decide via your experience and thanks in advance !!!
:lurk:lurk:lurk:lurk:lurk:lurk

Last edited:
I took 2" out of my F800GS with a Hyperpro kit after a leg injury. I could have put it back to stock now that I'm healed up but it made it easier to ride. Not a big job (at least the second time :whistle ). OM

The most impressive 650 I have toured on is the Kawasaki Versys. If seat height is a problem, Kawasaki has the lower ER6-n version. This thing is an agile corner strafer, and it's very comfortable.

I have also toured on the 650 GS, and it's very good.

I found both of these bikes have enough power to be able to pull hard in the high passes in the Rockies.

My Harley Electra Glide and my BMW RT tend to sit more after the purchase of my 2012 G650GS. It only weighs 423 lbs. and is a joy to ride. Light, nimble, with plenty of power. I rode with a friend to Myrtle Beach yesterday and got 64 mpg. A low seat is available. I'm 61 yrs old and love my little GS...

As we speak, my fave's that I've found are a 2012 F650GS & a couple of 09,10,11 & 2012 G650GS's.

Updated: I bought a 2012 BMW G650GS & now after farkels!!!
Side cases, centerstand, rear lowering link(Kouba if you have a spare around?) & perhaps a top case replacement. The 2012 F650GS is more bike but harder on savings account:hungover
I can tell you where there's a deal on a G650 or F650,, as I passed on a couple of each!

Last edited:
Lower by design

All the dualsports are tall. Try a bike that starts out as what you want, unless you are a for-real motorcycle engineer and can do all the calculations.

I'm 69 also and today I saw 350 miles of Interstate; yesterday it was 225 miles of New England State highways on an unmodified F650CS, the Scarver. It's shorter than a 12R or an 8ST. And it's a fun ride.

mXa

In reply to above statements & FWIW, the 2012 F650GS is 30.1 unladen seat height & the 2012 G650GS is 30.7 unladen seat height in standard seat and there is a lower version @ 30.3 unladen. I'm 215/220lbs(going down from winters sleep to the sun is out work:laugh) so any ride is well laden with my bod. Pretty much every MC I have in my sights has zero luggage.The older ones like before 09's many have cases. Must not be so many travelers in that crowd? The oilheads either have luggage or they sold it before the sale.
LOTS of Kawa Versys out there and many have cases too. You can buy that MC in any state with very few miles any day of the week. I may go ride one semi-locally but leaning toward the late model F650GS or G650GS's for now.
I'm no engineer(engineering is not buying a suspension link & making a MC safer to ride IMO:ear) & not out to become anything(that requires much effort & def. not in a classroom,God forbid)) at this stage in life. I'm the guy with fingernail grunge...:laugh My 3 sons, engineers all, I'm the one they ask how to do stuff. They also learned from dad to pick the brains of others that know what they lack-thus why I'm here now!
Hey twin & single owners , tell me more!:ear

My sons versys has toured from Raleigh to Nova Scotia, across Canada to Duluth and everywhere in between. $6000 new, $1000 for cases and nothing but brakes, oil changes, tires and a chain. He is comfortable on the heels of my RT riding group. I can not say enough about that bike. Just a little too small for me, but I am 6'6" 270.

I can not say enough about that bike.

Greg Drevenstedt of Rider Magazine reported that he took one to the Streets of Willow and "caned" it for two days. He was impressed, as well.

Just a little too small for me, but I am 6' 6"...

A tall owner would have to take the step out of the seat, which would be an easy fix. The step forces you to sit forward, which causes discomfort after a time. With the seat mod, I would think that the bike would fit anyone up to about 6'3".

Here's the bike I borrowed, on the summit of the Salmo Creston Pass:

Jack%202010%20001-L.jpg

You can see the humped seat in this pic. My neighbour, who owned the bike, replaced it with a Corbin:

Jack%202010%20008-L.jpg

The amazing thing is that you can buy these bikes for about $4,000. But many prospective buyers can't get past the looks.

Last edited:
See edit to post #5 for purchase info & more questions. I did find several nice under 1,000 miles Versys for not much-nicest were low mileage 2012'son CL's.

UPDATE- I bought a 2012 G650GS!

Last edited:
Back