• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2005 R1200RT rear brake question

rstrick

2005 R1200RT rear brake question/concerns

I have a 2005 R1200RT, and just completed the ABS brake flush. Everything went well. Also changed the rear pads. The question I have, when I push down on the rear brake peddle, the servo's cut in as they should, but if I keep pushing the peddle, I almost seems like it "bottoms out" and the servo stops. Road testing, applying the rear brake only, it just doesn't feel strong. Any suggestions.

Last edited:
It's supposed to do that. Read your manual.

The servo brakes use power.... power that you may not be generating at idle when stopped on a hill. If you use the rear brake to hold your position the servo will stop, saving your battery. A little more pressure will cause the servo to start, again.

Sometimes you can get the brakes at the point where the servo starts...stops...starts...stops ad nausium. When that happens I found that MORE brake pressure usually got the system to settle down.

I understand what you are saying, but even when doing the road test, and even trying to brake hard using only the rear brake, it appears to just slow down, if I apply the front brake, she brakes very quick.
To me there just doesn't seem to be alot of pressure in the foot peddle. As I mentioned, depressing the foot peddle, everything seems to work as it should, but, only slowing the bike down, no matter how hard I try to brake, and yes, I can "bottom out" the rear peddle and the servo's stop.
I am just getting ready to use the bike after 8 months of storage, but I thought the rear braked used to be quicker with more grab, without locking up. Maybe I'm having a seniors moment.
Servo's all appear to be working as they should, and no flashing red lights.
Just concerned, about having proper braking when needed.

ps: when I flushed the system, as per JVB video, I used about a liter of brake fluid, to make sure everything was clean and no air pockets. Would the brake system still appear to work as it should if I did somehow get air in the system?

ps: when I flushed the system, as per JVB video, I used about a liter of brake fluid, to make sure everything was clean and no air pockets. Would the brake system still appear to work as it should if I did somehow get air in the system?

The servos can mask a bad bleed. If you have the GS-911 or a friend with the GS-911 hook it up and do an ABS pressure test. If you don't have a GS-911 try residual braking. Before I got my GS-911 after a flush I'd cut my ignition during a test ride at about 35 MPH and make sure I could stop the bike without the servos. If you do this make sure you've got LOTS of room in front of you in case you can't stop!

that's just how it is

Normally, instincts are good and something could be wrong. But in this case, I think your system is working as designed.
Servo brakes are just different. At first and after 2 flushes and one set of replacement pads, my rear brake has taken more force than I would expect and has been absolutely consistent through it all. What you describe is my experience. I did get some air on the first flush and noticed a bit less whizzing.
Only on the rear, the servo motor stops and holds the pressure if the pedal is held forcefully. The front brakes always operate the motor.
I have found the quality of braking is high speed and emergency conditions to be exceptional.

Thanks CarolinaRT, was looking for this type feedback, this is my first BMW and still trying to get used to these brakes. Just wanting to make sure, especially when it comes to brakes.

Back