• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Motolights Halogen vs. Clearwater LED's - 2012 R1200GS

jgp1854

Looking for your input, I'm looking to put some aftermarket lights on the my GS, historically I've had Motolights on an RT and my R, and never had any issues. Doing a little research I come across the Clearwater LED lights, from everything I've read Clearwater LED's and the company are top shelf. What I'm asking is real world experience from members of this forum.

What can you share with me and others as to your experience, likes and dislikes on each.

Thanks

I did a lot of research and it came down to Clearwater Kristas and Twisted Throttle Denali D 2's. I chose the Denali system because of the cost. I am very satisfied with the system. They throw a long wide beam on high and really make a difference at night. During the day I run them on low and when cross traffic causes concern I flash them with my high beams. They do provide a much higher level of visibility.
Easy to install and good documentation. I did have to modify the fender mounts to meet my needs but they have different mounting systems available. Install took a few hours.
I can post pics, just let me know.:thumb

Clearwater's Glendas have been flawless on my RT. But they are more for conspicuity than lighting the road, although they provide decent sidelighting.

I did an HID Converion on the Low beams, nothing short of awesome with the Glendas!

If for being conspicuous as much as lighting the night, LED's are the best. The light spectrum they emit, is far more eye catching to other vehicles.

I have a set of Motolights from my 1150RT that I was going to put on my 1200RT that has Denali D2 lights.
But after using the Denalis, I really like the two stage LED capability.
Conspicuity for the low beams and BRIGHT light when I hit the high beams.

I recently installed a set of the new Clearwater Darla lights on my 2012 GS. (I also put a set of Glendas on my RT 3 years ago and have been very happy with them). As noted previously the Glendas are really more for visibility vs a hi power night light. The Darlas on the other hand are the same size and excellent built quality as the Glendas, but much brighter, and do work well for night use. The Glendas are rated at 800 lumens each and the Darlas at 2000 lumens each! You will need to turn them down in traffic.
Clearwater has also made it somewhat easier to install now with a cable harness that plugs into the GS's existing headlight harness.

Hope this helps

Motolights Halogen vs. Clearwater LED's

Thanks to everyone that has responded to my inquiry. Most helpful.

Ok, this is a perfect thread for me. I have a 2013 R1200RT and I work second shift. That means that I work until 12:30 am and ride 45 minutes to home. I ride two lane roads through the farmland of Bucks County, Pa and pass through two state game lands. That all leads up to seeing deer, fox and racoon every night. I don't want to create or become road kill.

I drive a Toyota 4Runner and I love the high beams on that SUV. When I light them up I see everything for hundreds of yards. I was looking for the same result when I was shopping for lights for my RT. After reading everything on this forum and others I decided to go with Clearwater lights. Being concerned on if they have brackets for the 2013 I called the main office. The very helpful woman who I talked to told me that they had just designed the bracket the the upgrade of the light I was looking for. I ended up buying and installing their Darla LED light. This light comes with a controller so that you can adjust the brightness while driving and when you hit the high beams on your bike these LED's boost up to 100% power.

All I can say is OMG....... these lights are even better than my 4Runners. Combined with the great lights my RT already comes with, these Darla lights are wonderful. They light up four lanes, tree to tree and I feel I am as safe and I can be on a bike.

Clearwater Darla lights on the front and Hyperlites on the back - I am covered!!

I've got both Kristas and Glenda's on my RT. As been said before, the Glenda's are for being seen, while the Krista's turn night into day. Someone following me down a dark road the other night in their SUV, told me as soon as they got out of their car how impressed they were with my headlights. More like, "holy crap, your lights are bright". It was the first thing out of their mouth. They're not cheap, but I feel worth every penny for both seeing and being seen.

Krista's up high, Darla's down on the forks . I can see and be seen. :thumb

Darla mount closeup:

Krista mount:

OK, I see a real opportunity for Binkleylane and BrianM to to help us all out with a head to head comparison of the Denali D2 and Clearwater Darla lights. All you need is a dark night and both bikes. Ohio and California can't be more than 2,000 miles apart and there is a long weekend coming up. We'll wait for the report on Tuesday...

PIAA compared to Darla lights

I have a set of PIAA lights mounted under my cowling of my '12 RT. I am thinking about getting the Darlas and mounting them under my mirrors.

Clearwater Krista's

View attachment 40282

Here's mine. I got the amber covers for the Glenda's to break thing up a bit.

Looks like that in a drop (standstill drop, let alone a moving drop) the Krista's are going to hit first, damaging them and the fairing. True?

Are there any safer mounting areas that protect the lights and still provide the right lighting capability?

You're probably right about that since the mirrors will be the first to go. To be honest, to me fairing damage in a drop is secondary to seeing and being seen. From all I've read, the driving lights should be mounted as high as possible, and the lights used to be seen should be low. I've seen some under the oil cooler and that would be a safer place for the lights in a tip over.

2013 gsa

I have the clearwaters on my gsa and wired direct full on or off due to alleged wiring problems they work great

I have the clearwaters on my gsa and wired direct full on or off due to alleged wiring problems they work great

What wiring problems? I've mounted them on two GSes and a GSA with no trouble. They are simply fantastic!

Details, please.

Denali D2s for me and...

I mounted mine inside the Wunderlich engine bars. Some of the pics above show the lights as being vulnerable in even a minor drop. If you slide, the lights won't make it.

Attachments

• VISC ERC1 (800x532).jpg
    VISC ERC1 (800x532).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 269
Back